Does tint lift over old tint?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

Iv been having bleached highlights and a chocolate brown tint by wella put in my hair and i want to go away from the bleach as its wrecking the condition of my hair and is still coming out brassy/golden with the look of a flat colour no matter who does it???

i had a consultation and the hairdresser said he could use a high lift tint on the roots to give me a lovely clean blonde and it would lift to a nice lighter clean blonde without using bleach to get it to that colour(I have a dark mousy blonde natural colour) he also wants to use a darker colour with a bit of ash in it to contereact the brassy tones then use a toner on top. so id have a highlift blonde then a darker colour with a bit of ash in it followed by a toner?

I was told by another hairdresser that tint cant lift tint im confused, my present hairdresser wants to put the blonde tint on the roots only and toner on the rest would this work?

cheers:)

Tint will not lift tint. You can not go lighter without some kind of bleaching action. HighLift is still bleach but less damaging than double process. It is hard to give advice without seeing your hair. How long have you had the same hairstylist? Do you trust him? TALK to him. Tell him ALL of your concerns, ask ALL of your questions. Be really honest about your fears and don't forget to tell him that someone else is giving you conflicting info. Corrective color is always more complicated. It takes teamwork. Your stylist AND you. Good luck.

Hi there

Iv been having bleached highlights and a chocolate brown tint by wella put in my hair and i want to go away from the bleach as its wrecking the condition of my hair and is still coming out brassy/golden with the look of a flat colour no matter who does it???

i had a consultation and the hairdresser said he could use a high lift tint on the roots to give me a lovely clean blonde and it would lift to a nice lighter clean blonde without using bleach to get it to that colour(I have a dark mousy blonde natural colour) he also wants to use a darker colour with a bit of ash in it to contereact the brassy tones then use a toner on top. so id have a highlift blonde then a darker colour with a bit of ash in it followed by a toner?

I was told by another hairdresser that tint cant lift tint im confused, my present hairdresser wants to put the blonde tint on the roots only and toner on the rest would this work?

Hi, nee nee , get them to perform some small test pieces for you
to show you exactly how the colour would be ,
then you can judge for yourself ,

your hair has thrown off some orangey tones in the past so I wouldnt let them do it without the proof of the test peices first :hug:

any good hairdressers will do this for you ,
if they dont or wont !
move on to somwhere that will do this for you .

because the last thing you want in your hair is those orange tones
like the last time, :cry:
so once again insist on test pieces to take any guess work
out of it all for them and most importantly for you ,

place the test cuttings they they have coloured
against your hair under a normal bulb and outside and then take them home and look at them under lots of different lights to make sure you like the colours
ask others if they can see any orangey tones
if you like the test colours
then try and keep hold of the test pieces
just in case you dont get the colours they promised you :hug:

i think what was meant in the consultation to do thr root of the bleached pieces with hi - lift and then the ends of the bleach pieces with toner - then it wont be a problem because theres no tint on those pieces to lift up .
If you want more blonde on the choc brown then bleach would have to be used . it alreally depends on what % of bleach and brown there is and if its faded in places .
I think what they are trying to do is to give you a more natural colour , that blends more .
But to be safe have test pieces done . hi- lift does come up warm ,but its a nice soft colour not harsh like bleach ( yellow ,pale yellow ,white)

Hi there

Thanks for your advice its great. I havent had much luck with my hair previously as Minky well knows(although it wasnt a horrendous issue just not the colour i like)

I have been going to the same hairdresser for a while now and have been having bleach highlights with the choc brown as any lighter browns have been fading to a golden colour, SO i either end up too dark or too brassy/golden SO Imnow so frightened to change to another hairdresser.

I had a consultation with this guy whose been a hairdresser for 20 years and teachers colour techniques hes using a new brand of tint which apparently gives the cleaner blonde than wella etc as he found wella didnt lift to the whiter blonde i like, he said he would just tint the roots, pull through a darker colour with ash in it on too and then finally finish with a toner, he said it may take a few goes to get there but to trust him, he said bleach is a flat colour.

Im just not sure about his advice to be honest i have no faith anymore sad I know but my hair is a golden blonde now which is ok but I do feel drab but Im very very scared to try some one else asmy previous hairdresser is just not achieving the colour i like and iv been going for many many times and iot costs a fortune Over £100 for roots cut and finish:irked:

I think il go for strand tests for defo, should he take pieces which have bleach and tint on them or the natural hair colour??

Also my hair is thin at the sides and thicker at the back and at the mo i have it layered at the sides but not many layers elsewhere, he suggested razoring my hair to give it movement, i had my hair razored years ago and the ends ended up wispy and scraggy he said its how its done?? any thoughts

cheers everyone

tint on top of tint only goes darker thats what we got taught at college hope this helps

the only tint that i find gives a decent lift on a darker tint is in wella and its 10/0 and 10/1 and 12%, depending on how dark the previous tint is, with or without a tiny sprinkly of bleach mixed in to give it a kick. . other than that as a rule, tint wont lift tint.

it dones really epend on how heavy handed you are with the razor and how often you have your hair cut . you really need to keep on top of it if your hair is fine because the ends soften and wisp anyhow if it needs a cut without any help along by a razor

ok , just to clarify - that i havent got the wrong end of the stick - hes gonna tint your roots with h/lift tint all over on the scalp and then lowlight with an ash over the top with a hat -and then apply a toner all over? is that right?

I think your hairdressers advice sounds great. As a rule, tint doesnt lift tint. But he is only putting the tint on your regrowth to lift your natural hair colour, then toning the brassy colour after to get a nice cool blonde. The brown sounds good too, as with a hint of ash in it, it will help prevent it from fading to a golden colour. That way you can have a slightly lighter brown as you said you sometimes feel the choc brown is too dark.

ok , just to clarify - that i havent got the wrong end of the stick - hes gonna tint your roots with h/lift tint all over on the scalp and then lowlight with an ash over the top with a hat -and then apply a toner all over? is that right?
Sorry Im not very good at explaining what he suggested as not a hair dresser, :lol: il try again

He wants to use foil highlights by putting the high lift tint on my roots with foil and then say every other foil do a darker brown with a hint of ash in it, then after its took put a toner on it all over to help with the golden tones which are getting more golden by the day as i wash my hair its yuk, im so fed up with my hair I wish id never left my hairdresser of 5 years its been nothing but upset and loss of my pennies ever since, my old hairdresser has now left:confused:

Im going to get some strand tests as im so scared of change now then i can see if the tint lifts to the clean blonde he reckons it does as he says hes go this new product which is a higher lifting tint that gets a cleaner blonde than the wella which iv found to be golden even when iv had the highest in it, he said he found wells just didnt go light enough until he found this new product so going to give it a go, cross everything:eek::eek:

cheers

tint wont lift tint, if you keep tinting the hair the same one colour you will just get lots of colour build up over a period of time and it becomes more and more stubborn to change.

when having added highlights etc sometimes it can all get blended so it can tend to go "golden" rather than blonde as you have picked up pieces of tinted hair which get lifted back up to blonde and visa versa and it can become brassy looking..

Having the ash brown added into your hair like your hairdressers as suggested sounds good though because it will tone down any golden tones to your hair , but if your unsure as people have said get your hair tested first, I always do this with customers as then you can take the test pieces home and look at it under a natural light as in the salon its not the same,

anyway Im trying out a new product by goldwell called SILKLIFT it is much better than a high lift tint because, I find sometimes if you have a natural red in your hair the high lift tint picks this up straight away and throws a few different colours at you but never a cool creamy blonde..
The silklift, comes in two different version strong lifting for up to 7 levels or gentle lifting of up to 5 levels..
It can be used with 3 6 or 9 % and its amonia free so there is very little smell to it except from the intensive conditioning serum which is added to the product once mixed (there is actually a pleasent smell to it :lol:) you use the strong lifting for natural dark bases and colour treated darker bases also more resistant hair types and the gentle lifting are for lighter bases and less resistant hair types..

Ive used it on two guinea pigs so far with great results maybe this is what your hairdresser is going to try on your hair ,maybe you could ask him to do at least 2 test pieces one with just the bleach on and another with the bleach and then a toner added to see if you can get the cool bonde you require..

goodluck I hope you get the result you want :hug:

Last edited:
I think he uses a different product than goldwell. Im so confused im getting myself in a right tizz, if i stay with my current hairdresser il keep going golden or too dark, if i try another I dont know if il turn out orange or worse of:eek::irked:

If you were me would you have tint on the roots and a toner all over? Or should i ask for bleach(i normally have 6 %) and ask him to make sure its on long enough to come up clean then have the darker brown with the ash in it and followed by a toner?

Whats the best way with my hair being golden at present and a tad fluffy on the ends from months of colour?

I never had this issue before had a hairdresser who use to get the lovely blonde i like but she left the industry years ago:cry:

HELP lol:lol:

cheers everyone

without seeing your hair I wouldnt like to give you a definate answer but..

if in the past you have found your hair goes brassy/orangy/golden , it maybe that your hair as some warm tones going through your natural base so I would think a high lift tint would pick this up and throw you up a golden blonde rather than the blonde your looking for , bleach maybe better if the condition of your hair permits it , but it just depends on a few different factor.

But I dont want to confuse you anymore than you are :hug: getting the test pieces done is a must before you decide and spend out alot of money :hug:

Im going to get some strand tests as im so scared of change now then i can see if the tint lifts to the clean blonde he reckons it does as he says hes go this new product which is a higher lifting tint that gets a cleaner blonde than the wella which iv found to be golden even when iv had the highest in it, he said he found wells just didnt go light enough until he found this new product so going to give it a go, cross everything:eek::eek:
Strand test, strand test, strand test then trust. You've been through the figurative haircolor ringer and what you explained in theory would work perfect, but with your history, you really are safer having a strand test before just going whole head and hating it!

I'm telling, save your pennies and fly over!!!:hug:

Thanks natsel for your advice.

I think im going to go back and ask for strand tests using the high lift tint and the brown with the ash But also strand tests of bleach highlights and the brown ash tint to see the difference and see if the tint does lift my hair enough

I use to have a tint 15 yrs ago, i think it was loreal it was a lovely colour but i cant remember the code of it? so i guess my hair can lift to a clean blonde with tint thinking about it, i do think the reason my hair is going golden at the mo is because the darker colour she used in wella either a 5/7 or 6 something?? always fades badly and goes to a golden blonde, the bleach highlights iv had previously are a clean blonde but i reckon the darker colour next to the bleach is making it look golden.

Im a dark mousy colour and have been told i have some warmth in it but it should be easy to lift to a clean blonde.

I tell you BLONDES DO NOT HAVE MORE FUN, they have more hassle and are out of pocket paying for colours he he Oh I wish i suited brunette, i d love to have shiny brown flowing hair instead of fluffy processed hair with roots and all these questions lol:lol::lol:

cheers

Strand test, strand test, strand test then trust. You've been through the figurative haircolor ringer and what you explained in theory would work perfect, but with your history, you really are safer having a strand test before just going whole head and hating it!

I'm telling, save your pennies and fly over!!!:hug:

Tell ya Jeni if I could I would be there in a flash! theres nothing worse than getting all hung up about ya hair and then being too scared to do anything or trusting any hairdressers, I do feel like going out and getting a brown hair colour and givning up trying to get a nice blonde hair colour, I should not be so worried abour hair colour like this there are more important things to worry about and Im being silly, but as you all know being hairdressers a womens hair is the making of her if her hair looks good she feels great if she hates her hair she feels pretty minging(a welsh frase there lol)

cheers Jeni:)

The test pieces you suggested sound good because you can compare them both and ask other people to look too a friend or family member they should beable to tell you the truth which looks nicer etc which is a great help just make sure you look under a natural light...

You must feel like your hitting your head against a brick wall though especially if you keep being dissapointed and not getting the colour you want :hug:

You must feel like your hitting your head against a brick wall though especially if you keep being dissapointed and not getting the colour you want :hug:

I do believe me, especially when i use to have hair colour i loved by two previous hairdressers who i went to for over 20 yrs but the left to have babies ahhhhhh

my best mate had a nightmare the other day, shes been going to the same hairdresser for 15 years and been having a 9/ something in loreal tint and loved it, but the week before her wedding he dyed it ginger!!!

she rang me up crying on her way home, as she had gone straight back to the salon within minutes of leaving, and he was closing up, so he put some darker pieces on and sent her home with the TINT STILL IN HER HAIR as he was closing, she was driving 90 miles an hr home panicking that she had to wash this colour out!!!! Can you believe her luck just before her wedding bless her:hug: i think it was a little better but she wasnt happy:irked:

oh dear thats not good your poor friend, I have heard from previous customers of mine that have gone to other salons that they have been sent home with foils in there hair or tint still on with the hairdresser saying to go home leave it for x amount of time then wash it off...

personally myself if I had a situation like that I would stay with the client even if it meant me working a few hours extra.

Latest posts

Back