Does tint lift tint? and how to lighten hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
Hi

I'm nearing the end of the first year of my NVQ2 hairdressing. After a couple of colouring lessons I thought I knew what I was doing:rolleyes: and as my daughter kept harrassing to have her hair lighter, I did it. Her natural colour is a 7, she wanted to go really blonde, and I used 9% with Goldwell Topchick 10N. The colour is actually nice, but too gold for her liking. She came into college yesterday, we did a test strand with bleach and it really ruined the hair! We then did test strands using 12% with 11A and the blonding ash. The blonding ash one turned out ok, but the other tutor sucked in breath saying it was too strong when I said we'd used 12% (which the first tutor said to use:eek:)
Now I'm terrified of doing anything to her hair, and feel I've let my daughter down, as was told that tint won't lift tint, and the bleach will destroy her hair, so my daughter is left with a shade she doesn't want.

Any advice as to how I can give my daughter lighter hair without destroying it?

Hi

I'm nearing the end of the first year of my NVQ2 hairdressing. After a couple of colouring lessons I thought I knew what I was doing:rolleyes: and as my daughter kept harrassing to have her hair lighter, I did it. Her natural colour is a 7, she wanted to go really blonde, and I used 9% with Goldwell Topchick 10N. The colour is actually nice, but too gold for her liking. She came into college yesterday, we did a test strand with bleach and it really ruined the hair! We then did test strands using 12% with 11A and the blonding ash. The blonding ash one turned out ok, but the other tutor sucked in breath saying it was too strong when I said we'd used 12% (which the first tutor said to use:eek:)
Now I'm terrified of doing anything to her hair, and feel I've let my daughter down, as was told that tint won't lift tint, and the bleach will destroy her hair, so my daughter is left with a shade she doesn't want.

Any advice as to how I can give my daughter lighter hair without destroying it?

Hi, first of all when you say tint wont lift tint ,
does this mean that your Daughter has the remains of some darker tint on her hair ?

If the tint is a natural light blonde colour then yes you can swap over to a lighter tint and get quite a good lift ,
its only if the hair has darker tint shades on it ,or has lots of darker ash tones in it then the ( tint wont lift tint rule will apply )

If your Daughter was a natural 7 and this is was her first lighter tint
then you could put on a high lift tint with 9% in a 12/1 that should be ok
and it should lighten some more and take away any yellow tones too

if the mid lengths and ends are in good condition and were also a natural 7 too? and also need lightening ?
you may need to put it on these areas first .

if it does have darker tint on then it will be another plan ,

so you can let us know first :hug: be back later minky

hi -lift tint will lift tint by 1/2 a shade , so you could use a ash hi lift as hi lites alternte with bleach - it will dry the hair ,but a good cut will help and you could do the hilites along theparting and sides to minimise damage . and /or reapply use an ash toner .

it sounds to me like you're worried about the yellowiness in the hair rather tha actually lifting it? if this is the case, your best bet is to use a silver/blue toner, in wella i would use 10/8 pastel, with a touch of 0/88 depending hwo gold it is.
If you really want to lift it the advise you've been given above is what i'd agree with....
hth
x

my daughter's hair was very natural, no tint, perm, or any other treatment whatsoever, before the Topchick 10N went on. So if I used a 9% with the blonding ash, that would tone down the gold, and give her a lighter look too? If it were a client of yours, would you recommend foiled hilights, or would you go whole head colour? I think I'm leaning to the hilights to be honest. What do you guys think?

I know it's difficult to say without seeing her face to face, but gut feeling from you guys with all your experience would be wonderful.

(I'll try and get a piccy of her on here later)

my daughter's hair was very natural, no tint, perm, or any other treatment whatsoever, before the Topchick 10N went on. So if I used a 9% with the blonding ash, that would tone down the gold, and give her a lighter look too? If it were a client of yours, would you recommend foiled hilights, or would you go whole head colour? I think I'm leaning to the hilights to be honest. What do you guys think?

I know it's difficult to say without seeing her face to face, but gut feeling from you guys with all your experience would be wonderful.

(I'll try and get a piccy of her on here later)

It needs toning
so you could just tone it down and and add a few bleached
foils around the front and top to brighten it all up

I'd lean toward a few strategic foils and a toner.

i wud probably err on side of caution and say to tone it, but i have had amazing results lifting bits of my own hair which has been tinted, well at least the mid lengths and ends had the remains of tints and numerous semis on the roots and ends, mines lifted amazingly well with 10/1 in 12% with a tiny spot of bleach thrown in for extra kick. . . and that turned out only slightly darker than i wud have hoped and no warmth at all, . . . worth a thought for future tint jobs. . xx

Latest posts

Back