Does Wella Colour Touch fade fast as Dialight?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlover101

Reaction score
Thinking to change brand completely... Dialight is ruining my client's hair!

Just yesterday a client came in after 3 weeks and her hair was EXTREMELY brassy. Not really faded in color but turned orange. I used on her level 9.3 (gold) a 7.1 and a 7.0 (ash and natural) with 6volume.
I don't understand why it fades so brassy being an ash.

Is it the wella line more true in tone? How it fades?

I am thinking now to use a color remover to correct the brassy color and use a completely different line. I sent her home for now with a good hair treatment to prepare!

What do you think?
Attached are two pic: on I took in the salon (the brassy one) the other ahe sent me complaining :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 162
Where did she start? Level and tone? I think the issue may have been the formula. If Loreal ash is like wella ash, there isn't anything in there to neutralize orange. Pluse the gold in the formula would have leaned it more warm. Then you have to consider whether the base of the product line is warm or cool. I don't think I'd go so farm as to strip color. That will leave you with a lot more warmth. I'd use a glossing treatment of illumina 7/81.

I think naturally she is a level 6 judging from the roots. It was a blonde all over level 9-10 warm, that I tone it with 7.0 and 7.1.
1 in l'oreal should be blue based.

She wants to have "dimension" should I go for a 8/81 or it doesn't have enough pigment to counteract the brassiness?

Do you think the volume could be the culprit? For deposit only I normally use only 6 volume, but my colleguwtold me she uses 10 to make it take better. I feel like10 would give me even more "brassiness"...

Where did she start? Level and tone? I think the issue may have been the formula. If Loreal ash is like wella ash, there isn't anything in there to neutralize orange. Pluse the gold in the formula would have leaned it more warm. Then you have to consider whether the base of the product line is warm or cool. I don't think I'd go so farm as to strip color. That will leave you with a lot more warmth. I'd use a glossing treatment of illumina 7/81.

Isn't illumina permanent? I was told to always use a demi for covering blonde hair? Is it wrong?

I would have definitely used lower volume for darkening. Illumina is permanent but mixed 1 part tint to one part post service and 1 part pastel you would get a gentle glossing treatment perfect for thos situation. I'm not at all sure 8/81 in ct would touch it, but you could give it a try.

Tsparker is right 8/81 wouldn't touch it. If you want to use colour touch 7/89 is a better option.

However i do love illumina.

I would have definitely used lower volume for darkening. Illumina is permanent but mixed 1 part tint to one part post service and 1 part pastel you would get a gentle glossing treatment perfect for thos situation. I'm not at all sure 8/81 in ct would touch it, but you could give it a try.

Perfect!
In the dialight range the 6volume is the lowest peroxide possible

I am not familiar with Illumina, so here a couple (maybe stupid) questions:
- 1 part tint+ 1 part post service + 1part pastel meaning I don't need a developer?
- I was thinking that if I use a permanent color (with ammonia) I get a lot of fading to brassy, which is what this client hates and blamed the previous color, is it not the case with Illumina? How should I manyain the color? (Glossing with illumina or switching to color fresh for exemple?)

She was to match her roots or be a bit lighter but ashy, not darker, so I was thinking to use the color remover, bring her back to blonde, tone her to a 8 ash. Bad idea?
Her hair is healthy but takes color very strange! Very warm!

Thank you for the help!

Perfect!
In the dialight range the 6volume is the lowest peroxide possible

I am not familiar with Illumina, so here a couple (maybe stupid) questions:
- 1 part tint+ 1 part post service + 1part pastel meaning I don't need a developer?
- I was thinking that if I use a permanent color (with ammonia) I get a lot of fading to brassy, which is what this client hates and blamed the previous color, is it not the case with Illumina? How should I manyain the color? (Glossing with illumina or switching to color fresh for exemple?)

She was to match her roots or be a bit lighter but ashy, not darker, so I was thinking to use the color remover, bring her back to blonde, tone her to a 8 ash. Bad idea?
Her hair is healthy but takes color very strange! Very warm!

Thank you for the help!

Pastel is a developer by wella.

I mean all cool colours will fade warm eventually... Wella offers a colour conditioner range called recharge; they a have a cool brown conditioner which can be used to maintain at home. You can also retail colour fresh which a semi you apply straight from the bottle so great for clients to throw on to refresh between appts.

As long as the condition allows taking her to an 8 is not a bad idea (8 is my favourite depth in the whole wide world) I'd recommend 10/69 and 8/69 equal parts to achieve a true ashy 8 with illumina... It's just gorgeous. Still using the glossing service. Leave for full 20 minutes.

Pastel is a developer by wella.

I mean all cool colours will fade warm eventually... Wella offers a colour conditioner range called recharge; they a have a cool brown conditioner which can be used to maintain at home. You can also retail colour fresh which a semi you apply straight from the bottle so great for clients to throw on to refresh between appts.

As long as the condition allows taking her to an 8 is not a bad idea (8 is my favourite depth in the whole wide world) I'd recommend 10/69 and 8/69 equal parts to achieve a true ashy 8 with illumina... It's just gorgeous. Still using the glossing service. Leave for full 20 minutes.

That sounds a good plan! Would you use the color remover (I have pravana) or would you go in with bleach to take her to a level 8?
She was already lightened from her natural color with bleach and on top of it she only has a demi permanent (dia light) in 7.1 (faded). I feel a bit "guilty" bleaching her again when she was already bleached.

That sounds a good plan! Would you use the color remover (I have pravana) or would you go in with bleach to take her to a level 8?
She was already lightened from her natural color with bleach and on top of it she only has a demi permanent (dia light) in 7.1 (faded). I feel a bit "guilty" bleaching her again when she was already bleached.

I'd go colour remover.

Have you got olaplex?

I'd go colour remover.

Have you got olaplex?

Yes I have it! That is why her hair is still in a good condition, they used olaplex to lighten the hair! (My collegue did it, he is the balayage expert!)
Would you go in with olaplex again and lighten it again?

Yes I have it! That is why her hair is still in a good condition, they used olaplex to lighten the hair! (My collegue did it, he is the balayage expert!)
Would you go in with olaplex again and lighten it again?

Yeah i'd definitely use olaplex... But still there's no need to bleach just yet so i would try a colour remover first.

Yeah i'd definitely use olaplex... But still there's no need to bleach just yet so i would try a colour remover first.
Oh just another question about wella/illumina: will it change the base color on natural hair? Meaning, I have to apply the toner carefully avoiding her natural regrowth (she made it pretty clear that she doesn't want me to touch the natural hair, I can understand) or it will not change the natural haircolor (deposit only, 0 lifting)?
L'oreal Dialight is acidic and deposit only, so the natural haircolor is intact when it fades away. What about illumina?

Oh just another question about wella/illumina: will it change the base color on natural hair? Meaning, I have to apply the toner carefully avoiding her natural regrowth (she made it pretty clear that she doesn't want me to touch the natural hair, I can understand) or it will not change the natural haircolor (deposit only, 0 lifting)?
L'oreal Dialight is acidic and deposit only, so the natural haircolor is intact when it fades away. What about illumina?

As the glossing service no it won't, unless the hair is very fine and light.

I prefer dialight any day as toners, however dia richesse is stronger and more like colour touch, I use that more than the dialight in most cases unless I'm toning. Hope that helps

I stock mainly colour touch for my quasi range but do have Dialight toners in and I also prefer richesse clear

I quite like ct for toning.

Latest posts

Back