Does your polish take forever to dry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma/tenerife

Reaction score
is it just me or does it take ages for CND polish to completly dry? i use stickey,2 coats of polish and super shiney and its just taking too long,especially when it comes to toe nails.Is it possible to put them briefly under a uv light to speed things up or would that damage the polish????

Are you appying the enamels too thickly?

Personally I don't have a problem with either the application or the drying time of CND enamels and I'm in a similar climate to you.

Putting the nails under a UV light won't help the drying process, all it will do is ensure the clients have their hands still for a few minutes longer, have you tried using Solar Speed Spray as a drying aid?

I have had the same problem in the past. I bought some great stuff from QVC. Seche Vite ... I thnk, can't remember too much. But it is a top coat that aids the drying process some how. Not too sure how it works... but it was fab. Allows you ladies to leave the salon without snagging nails. I still believe the layers underneath are not fully dried - but the top layer was fine. Brill Stuff.

If I be honest here ..... your all gonna hate me.

I have started using 60 sec dry polish from retail outlets and some brands beat most of the professional polishes I have tried. I know this is a bit of a boo boo for retailing you professional polishes - but I don't run my business on trying to retail polishes. I prefer my clients to walk out the door knowing they won't snag their polish

I have found that when i am working at the resorts, (usually am outside, in the shade but still outside), and more with the white and the darker colours they can take longer to dry. Can't say as I have noticed it more on toes though. As Sandi has suggested, I do use Solar speed spray and it really does help. I don't think I apply it any thicker than the other colours (but you never know!!:lol:)

i always use creative and i dont personally have that problem and i use the super shiney top coat mainly......try using the speedy top coat. When that is touch dry I also put solar oil on top as this helps the enamel dry quicker.... you can use solar speed spray....but i just use the oil.
HTH's

Super Shiney has the highest gloss but takes the longest to set.

Speedy is a shiney top coat with a quicker dry time.

Air Dry is a high speed high gloss top coat and you may find a benefit in using this.

Bear in mind, all enamels dry by a process of solvent evaporation. This takes around 12 hours for the polish to fully cure. Oxygen inhibits the evaporation, so using an accelerant, such as solar speed spray, will help.
HTH's

I had that problem and used a uv top coat. Still time consuming waiting for it to touch dry before applying but it saves them knocking their nails when they leave!!! Where in tenerife are you? :confused:

Darker polishes do take longer to dry I believe. Libbyrose I don't hate you and you must do what is right for your business but i do think you are stark raving bonkers :lol:!!!!!

Firstly would you be impressed if you went to a hair salon and they started to wash your hair with an OTC brand? I know I wouldn't. Secondly if you are not retailing effectively then you are missing a HUUUGE retail potential without having to advertise or increase your client base. Thirdly I don't know how you manage with those polishes, I used to dread when clients brought them in as they are a nightmare to apply (but then i guess it's what you get used to!)

Last edited:
I use Creative and some OPI polishes and have used various others in the past too. Regardless of what brand I use, I find that I can't rush my polish application otherwise if I apply each coat too quickly after the previous coat, the nails are bound to smudge. I apply base coat, two thin coats of polish and then top coat. I try and give each coat of polish a few seconds in between coats to settle before applying the next.

I find that some pearalised colours which seem thicker in consistency take that wee bit longer to dry.

I think a tiny amount of patience is what it is all about and then you can have those nails polished perfectly and touch dry in a few minutes.

I had this problem and realised I was applying the polish to think. The answer, as others have said is 2 thin coats of colour.

I had this problem and realised I was applying the polish to think. The answer, as others have said is 2 thin coats of colour.

Absolutely! I actually think CND enamels dry faster than some others I have used. I LOVE CND Air Dry as well .... very speedy indeed and very glossy.

On the uv lamp I have (day light co.) it says that using this does in fact speed up the drying of nail polish. Is this wrong then?

I do use the lamp when doing a french polish but I wonder if I am wasting my
time? :confused:

On the uv lamp I have (day light co.) it says that using this does in fact speed up the drying of nail polish. Is this wrong then?

I do use the lamp when doing a french polish but I wonder if I am wasting my
time? :confused:

Well gel has photo intitiators (PI's) in it to make it cure under the uv lamp - polish doesn't! So i don't see how it could speed it up unless you had a top coat that has PI's in them.

i live in greece and had real trouble my first summer with my enamels thinkening up really quick and taking ages to dry. I decided to try a different brand and now use Essie, the varnish is really thin and the 'good to go' top coat is amazing, it dries within minutes, clients have been dead impressed and its even fab on really dark colours. xx

Use "out the door" topcoat, it dries much faster, funny that some have miracle cures using particular brand, but when it's put into practice it fails dismally. OPI drip dry is also very good.

Many say their polishes don't thicken........ but they do.

They say they dry faster .... but they don't.

Unfortuntaley , it's often trial and error using a combination of products.

There are quite a few faster drying topcoats, but applying polish thinner does help. Don't use a UV lamp, because if the polish is pale, it may expediate discoloration (and no matter what manufacturers say), they do discolor.

I seem to notice that no matter what anyone seems to post ... if they say yey .. Carl says nay if they say nay then Carl says yey.

The fact is that some polishes do NOT go thick or if we are being pedantic ... they may thicken over a period of years rather than months.

Some polishes do dry faster than others depending on how the professional uses them.

As for adding thinners to the top coat?? Blimey thats a great recipe for a non glossy and weak finish!

Was I working behind the nail desk for 10 years and having problems every day with polish drying?? NO.
Did I ever have to add thinners to my polish to make it dry quicker?? NO
Did I throw away loads of bottles of thickened polish?? NO
Did I ever use polish thinners in my salons? NO

Last edited:
hi,
i believe alot in the prep of the nail before application, i slightly buf and dehydrate the nail first ( helps the polish last longer also), i use CND and have always done so, i find it drys very quick in all climates, just make sure its not too thick. After my top coat application i give it a minute then i use solar oil over the entire nail ( sparingly) leave for another couple of mins and then remove the excess... i find that if you cut the air supply of the polish 'flash drys'... HTH.. H x

Does anyone know if there is any truth to putting your hands in freezing cold water to harden the nail polish? I havn't tried it on anyone else because its not too much of a pleasant experience for them, but I always do it after Ive painted my own nails. Its something Ive done ever since I was younger, it seems to work but don't know if its a placebo because Ive always done it. They never mention it on manicure courses but Im thinking this is because it is not part of a relaxing and pampering experience for the client.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to putting your hands in freezing cold water to harden the nail polish? I havn't tried it on anyone else because its not too much of a pleasant experience for them, but I always do it after Ive painted my own nails. Its something Ive done ever since I was younger, it seems to work but don't know if its a placebo because Ive always done it. They never mention it on manicure courses but Im thinking this is because it is not part of a relaxing and pampering experience for the client.

It is just another way to cut free Oxygen off from the surface of the enamel .. It does work but so does oil which is more practical and pleasent.

Oh I see! well I think Ill use the oil on myself and others from now on then!

Latest posts

Back