Dog advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Hi. I have a puppy who is 2 years old.

She still sometimes leaves a puddle at night.

We have a dog flap which she goes through regularly and is unlocked over night.

When I first had her we used puppy pads which was great. Then she thought anything on the floor was a puppy pad [emoji35].

Anyway before I go to bed, I take her out and ensure she pees. Then the next morning (not every morning) there is a pee next to the door, or dog flap. What can I do?

I've cleaned it up with ammonia free cleaning products.

I was thinking it was a weather thing to begin? But it can be a dry, windless night.

What else can I do?!

Do you have a light in the garden?
Might sound silly but when I let my dog out at night (she's 3) she will not go out on her own even when there is a little bit of light.
I have to take her out and wait but once she's out she's normally fine. She is a bit of a softie though :)

We do.
She has to come away from the dog flap a little way for the light to come on. X

Ours was exactly the same and when we left her during the day, someone suggested a crate. Best thing we ever done. It could also be a medical issue that she physically can't hold that long... Speak to your vet for their advise too xx

Just leave a puppy pad by the back door. Mine is the same. She is happy to go out if you are around. On her own she doesn't like it.

Maybe I'll start putting a puppy pad down again.

We have a wildlife camera so maybe I'll put that opposite the dog flap to see if she goes out during the day. X

Let it sleep upstairs, my dog would leave a little "gift" for me in the morning when left downstairs on her own, turns out she just wants to be near to us at night, I have a bed upstairs that I put on the landing and she's not done it since I put it there, sometimes she sneaks up on the kids beds in the middle of the night for a cuddle, but her fave place is in my room, she even sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed some nights, on the odd occasion I've left her downstairs (if she's already asleep) and I've closed the door to upstairs I can guarantee a "gift" still now, they just like to feel close,their pack animals really and in the wild they wouldn't sleep alone.

We have two dogs, on the odd occasion I have had them upstairs, they don't lie down nice and calmly. Instead they play nutters up and down the landing...

I'm no help at all with dog's, as much as I love them, only ever had one when I was a child, I've always had cats..

Is she frightened of the dark? Has something spooked her when she may of gone out a night, cats see just as well at night, I don't know what their eye sight is like. She maybe scared and won't go through the flap enough to set the light off.

*I want a nature cam too :)

My dog used to do this at night, and worse. The vet told us to crate him at night. Now he's 3 and still sleeps in the crate, every time we take him out he regresses again and tries escaping upstairs. But he's perfectly happy in there and won't mess in his own bed, so it works really well for us.

It's dark and she doesn't pose! It my pup sleeping on her back! [emoji13]

Latest posts

Back