Dog bitten into my nail plate!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
Yesterday two of my dogs had another major fight which I had to seperate. In the process one of the dogs bit down on my thumb and has punctured a tiny hole into my nail plate right into the nail bed, as well as a punture on the underside of my thumb. I have a blood blister/bruise (very tiny) under the nail plate and its very sore.

My question is, to offer some kind of protection I was thinking about applying a gel nail to it, clear gel obviously so that I can keep checking for infection. I know that it will probably be ok to do this but I would be grateful for some second opinions.

btw I am calling in the dog whisperer, I am sick of this fighting, on tuesday it took 2 big blokes and me to seperate them. Now its just me, the only reason she let go is cos i screamed, I bet they heard me in the town centre :eek:

thanks in advance :hug:

anne xx

Yesterday two of my dogs had another major fight which I had to seperate. In the process one of the dogs bit down on my thumb and has punctured a tiny hole into my nail plate right into the nail bed, as well as a punture on the underside of my thumb. I have a blood blister/bruise (very tiny) under the nail plate and its very sore.

My question is, to offer some kind of protection I was thinking about applying a gel nail to it, clear gel obviously so that I can keep checking for infection. I know that it will probably be ok to do this but I would be grateful for some second opinions.

btw I am calling in the dog whisperer, I am sick of this fighting, on tuesday it took 2 big blokes and me to seperate them. Now its just me, the only reason she let go is cos i screamed, I bet they heard me in the town centre :eek:

thanks in advance :hug:

anne xx

I'd say that would be ok, and yes clear so you can just keep aware of anything dodgy that may occur...the gel overlay should ensure that nothing can get in there anyway. It should stop it being sore (if it is sore!)

Sanitise well with scrubresh or similar first.

THIN LAYERS i'd expect a heat spike would be very uncomfortable !!!

thanks for the reply, forgot about the heat spike, perhaps L+P would be better?

anne xx

thanks for the reply, forgot about the heat spike, perhaps L+P would be better?

anne xx

I would do nothing for a few days until you have established there is no infection. The last thing you should be doing is to trap an infection under an enhancement. Do nothing until the soreness has gone away.

Last edited:
Thanks geeg, I had already decided to leave it alone because the underside of my thumb has become infected, I am prone to infections anyway. I was thinking that the pain is so bad that it would be very uncomfortable if I needed to buff off the gel and if I used L+P the acetone would really sting.

Luckily it only hurts if I touch it so best avoid doing so lol. If need be I'll go to the GP cos I cant use my thumb and I have just noticed its very stiff and looks slightly swollen :eek:

anne xx

please be careful if you think theres any infection and get to the gps. I ended up in quite a state when i got an infected cat scratch and ignored it for too long.
take care

Oow,I cant give you any advise about your nail injury,but I just wanted to say how brave you are seperating the dogs.I always fear of something like this happening to me when Im out walking my dog.They say to carry a telescopic brolly with you ,and use that to separate them.HTH

i would go to your gp hun i had a cat bite ( my poor cat had been run over and died :( ) i had to have a jab and a weeks tablets and they said you sould always get animal bites checked ! hope its not to sore :hug:

i would go to your gp hun i had a cat bite ( my poor cat had been run over and died :( ) i had to have a jab and a weeks tablets and they said you sould always get animal bites checked ! hope its not to sore :hug:

Obviously if you think you are getting an infection then you may need to see the doc but I did just want to point out that cat bites or scratches or usual worse for causing infections than dog bites...cats claws and teeth are like needles so they push bacteria into the tissue much deeper which can lead to 'cat scratch fever' which is extremely serious and must be treated asap.

Perhaps have some regular soaks in some water with an antibacterial such as tea tree in...not sure if you could use neat tea tree? or salt water even...hope it gets better soon :hug:

thanks everyone for your concerns, it doesnt feel quite as bad today. I'll be keeping a close eye on it though.

Regarding seperating the dogs I don't have much choice as they wont stop unless I stop them. I have tried everything from shouting, water nothing works. A dog behaviourist I have got to help me has said to cover them with a dark blanket cos they wont fight in the dark, also use blanket to pick them up. So I'll try this next time, cos unfortunately there will be a next time. The dog group dynamics has changed recently thats why there are problems.

anne xx

Latest posts

Back