Dog-eared flip flops....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistzoe

Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

My little puppy started chewing a clients flip flops the other day when she was in with our nail tech getting her toes shellacked....I noticed and took them off her straight away...seemed no damage done and client didnt say anything...

...she had her treatment, groupon offer (she has been once before for a groupon makeup lesson with me) and spent the whole time moaning about how she didnt want to go to a wedding this weekend and how cheap she got her dress, shoes and bag for the occasion....

...she had the treatment thursday night and only called back today (one week)

...she is going to email me the style, colour and a photo of the damaged one,

...i dont care if she doesnt come back but i do care she will bit*h and whinge to lots of other people about the salon...

...would you 1-give her the money for a new pair 2-give her the money towards a new pair-maybe half as it was half a shoe or 3-replace them with the exact same style and colour?

As I clearly just think I'm being taken for a mug, they are fit flops, a bit battered and the damage was only noticed a week after...

Without sending harsh if your dog chewed them and she has noticed the right thing to do is either replace them, or pay her an agreed amount as you can't possibly just pay for one or replace one:eek: you need to bite the bullet and replace whether they were cheap or not.

Also not sure of your set up but as you say she was in with your nail tech/talk about groupon, I presume you have a premises, so is the pup allowed to be there in the first place, I wouldn't think so and you don't want her making more trouble?

I would just do what I need to do today to make it go away.

If they are fitflops then they aren't quite so cheap - but if she sends you details of the shoes and a picture of the damage (for your records obviously) then I think you need to either replace them or pay for them to be replaced...
In my view the puppy shouldn't have had access to the shoes in the first place. she may not have looked at the fitflops until a week later (I know I don't wear mine every day... :) ) so she may gave genuinely not seen it till now - or she may have been uhmming and ahing about whether to make an issue of it but found that possibly one if the air cushions inside has been damaged and now they are unusable... if it was me I'd expect them to be replaced...

Without sending harsh if your dog chewed them and she has noticed the right thing to do is either replace them, or pay her an agreed amount as you can't possibly just pay for one or replace one:eek: you need to bite the bullet and replace whether they were cheap or not.

Also not sure of your set up but as you say she was in with your nail tech/talk about groupon, I presume you have a premises, so is the pup allowed to be there in the first place, I wouldn't think so and you don't want her making more trouble?

I would just do what I need to do today to make it go away.

I have to agree with this. You need to replace them. You cant pay half because only half was damaged. Shoes are a pair you cant just ware one shoe if one is damaged then both shoes are unwerable. Its not her fault her shoes were damaged in your salon. You should have been watching the puppy more carfully. ( i fully understand the chewing problem as i have a 9 month old lab who has now destroyed 4 sky remotes, a home phone, an i phone, a charger, a whole double bed, a lamp, GHDs, hairbrushes, steel toe caped boots, a £100 pair of glasses and a shower gel also a whole tub of butter) but its my fault for letting the pup get bored enough to chew them.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Oh and cleaning the destroyed pack of 12 toilet roll up wasnt fun.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

thanks guys...and chazz! your dog is so cute...

Pickles is a Jack-a-poo and has a fractured pelvis on strict bed rest, and I do have her at the salon all the time anyways..

...the fit flop in question was picked up by her and carried a short distance from the desk (im suprised she could lift the chunky thing) and slightly chewed for less than 30 seconds....the sole wasnt damaged and they weren't ruined thats why she didnt obvs say anything at the time and why I'm a bit annoyed, it's not as if they were beaded and ruined/mauled/ punctured....you wear them on your feet and they weren't brand new...

...ill see what the pic looks like....in a week she could have worn them loads and added to the damage/ damaged them up loads....I think it's because I hate fit flops anyways...sorry to all the fans of them out there but they are like crocs and white trousers (i can see your pants and even wearing a flesh coloured thong isn't going to work)

Sorry to say hun, but i agree with the other posters. I don't really think a salon is the place for a dog and if she is there, she shouldn't have access to the clients or their property. As you've seen, something could be damaged, a client could be frightened or allergic or just not like it and it's also possible your pup could knock something over and hurt herself. I absolutely adore dofs but not everyone does.

This is going to sound harsh, but it is your fault, not the clients and you should pay the full price of a new pair if there is damage.
If there isn't any damage, i suppose you could quibble it, if you don't mind risking your rep. You cannot pay half price because you can't buy one shoe. I would look up the average price online and give her the cash to replace them herself with your apologies.

I know it's annoying, but maybe there was damage she didn't notice at first. It is possible after wearing them that a tooth hole stretched and tore or something. Also it isn't the point of something being brand new, i have clothes and shoes i love and because of that they're quite worn, but i would be gutted if they got ruined while i was having a treatment.

HTH xx

I love animals but there is no place for them in salons or restaurants or cinemas etc. Does your insurance company know you keep a dog in the salon? :eek:

She may have been a bit embarrassed at the time and didnt want to cause an awkward situation, then after going home and thinking about it for a week she then decided to do something about it. An example of a similar situation: we had new sofas delivered about a month ago and the delivery men knocked my oil burner over and spilled oil and candle wax in my carpet and all up the wall! They rushed to clean it and managed to get it all off the wall, did theyre best on the carpet but you could still see a White patch. Now if I had the 'balls' at the time I would have said I'm not happy with that, what are u going to do about it etc. But I didn't, I felt uncomfortable and almost didn't want to embarrass them by causing a scene. I also thought I'd leave it cos the sofa would cover the stain anyway. As it goes, it bugged me and the more I thought about it, the more I thought that no one should come in to my house and cause damage no matter how big or how small so I called DFS a few days later and complained. All sorted now.

A bit of an essay but my point is that she might have felt uncomfortable saying something at first but it may have just bugged her after leaving your salon. And now she wants it's sorted-I know I would, i wouldnt even like it being in a dogs mouth whether it caused damage or not. Being completely honest I wouldn't go to a salon that has a dog in it anyway...? But that's a personal opinion, which a lot of dog lovers may disagree with. As you can probably tell I am not a dog lover! But that's neither here nor there.

If I was you, I would most definitely give her the money for a new pair. She is more likely to be thankful for you being so understanding and helpful and maybe even come back again/recommend your salon. If you refuse then all she is likely to do is bad mouth you to others.

Hope you get it sorted x

No, dog lovers or not and I am, I think most folks would agree that a dog shouldn't be in a salon full stop unless it is a service dog. That was why I said in my post above better to deal with it today and make it go away as she could easily report the salon for having the animal in there.

From my experience in retail it is youre responsibility to replace the item. I would say buy her a replacement pair rather than give her the money for them as she may just take the cash and stick with her damaged ones.

Also the salon is no place for a puppy, its a bit cruel to have it in there all day, every day. Wont be receiving the attention or support it needs and will make training it even more difficult as it will have no routine.

After all would you allow your clients to bring their pets in with them and be left to run riot in the salon?

Maybe my suspicious mind but make sure they are the same flipflops that you saw the dog chewing, if you can try to remember the ones you took off your puppy in detail! .. also look for teeth marks from the dog, they should be needle point, fine marks or rips..!

If I was so upset over a pair of flipflops (could understand a pair of Gucci maybe) that I had to go back to a salon and ask for them to repaired/replace I would've took them with me to show the damage, not send an email...I smell a rat!!

And buy the pooch a chew toy :) ... one of our previous pups, a German Shepherd ate her way through...
A lower half of the kicthen ... all the cupboard doors, end boards and finally the kicks boards.
2 Fridge doors
6 kettles - plug and element was the only thing left
2 toasters - plug and element was the only thing left
A frying pan
A UPVC window frame
A pantry door
17 plastic dog bowls (we bought a metal one in the end and she dinted every inch of it)
4 Goldfish (brother has never forgiven her for this)
2 TV remotes
12 pairs of shoes/trainers/flips flops
1 Car door
1 Car headrest
4 Large doh baskets
... I'm sure there is more!

And buy the pooch a chew toy :) ... one of our previous pups, a German Shepherd ate her way through...
A lower half of the kicthen ... all the cupboard doors, end boards and finally the kicks boards.
2 Fridge doors
6 kettles - plug and element was the only thing left
2 toasters - plug and element was the only thing left
A frying pan
A UPVC window frame
A pantry door
17 plastic dog bowls (we bought a metal one in the end and she dinted every inch of it)
4 Goldfish (brother has never forgiven her for this)
2 TV remotes
12 pairs of shoes/trainers/flips flops
1 Car door
1 Car headrest
4 Large doh baskets
... I'm sure there is more!

Blimey!! One of the reasons why I stick with my miniature dachshunds, their legs are too tiny to reach anything to chew!

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

sorry if this sounds harsh but its definately your responsibility to replace them - not one of them, of half the value, but the whole thing. Personally, I wouldn't give her the monetary value, i would buy a complete new pair, as you may be able to source them cheaper than she would. You took the dog to work (not even gonna comment on that as its been said on previous posts - and I do have dogs) so it is totally your responsibility. Your professional reputation is worth far more than a new pair of shoes imo...............

I have to agree it is ur responsibility, I would ask her to bring the chewed fitflops in, and tell her u need them so u can go and replace them... I would then go and buy her a new pair... And keep the old ones (not to wear but just so u know she isn't trying to have u over my giving her the 40-50 cash and she keeps her old ones) if she doesn't turn up with them-at least u have offered. Xx

I have to agree it is ur responsibility, I would ask her to bring the chewed fitflops in, and tell her u need them so u can go and replace them... I would then go and buy her a new pair... And keep the old ones (not to wear but just so u know she isn't trying to have u over my giving her the 40-50 cash and she keeps her old ones) if she doesn't turn up with them-at least u have offered. Xx

I think getting her to bring in the damaged ones is a good idea.

I agree with everyone who says yes, you should replace them. In my personal opinion (and please don't be offended, not trying to be harsh) if I went to a salon, and saw a dog in there, I would be disgusted. I am SO not a dog person, but that aside, when I think of going to a salon, I imagine a nice, clean, relaxing place - dogs or puppies do not come to mind lol. If I went to a salon that had a dog in it, AND it chewed my flip flop? There is a very high chance I would never go back.

Just my personal opinion though - many may disagree :lol:

I'm a dog lover and will do anything for mine, but I don't think a salon is the place. Get a friend or relative to sit at urs in the day to keep an eye on it and take it for a walk.
The flip flops should be replaced, IF, the the value of repairing them exceeds replacement, and IF there is damage caused by salon negligence ( not saying you are negligent, but any accidental damage can be classed this way), research the cost of replacing and repairing, then ask her to bring them in. Ask to see the damage caused by the salon, if there is then explain your chosen action and keep the footwear. If you can't see the damage yourself ask for a second opinion, if they can't then apologise and refuse, if there is a fuss kicked up then keep it calm and introduce the chosen method be it repair or replace again ad offer it her.
Under no circumstances should you give her the money or let her keep the shoes.

That was the policy when I worked for a shoe shop, we recycled faulty shoes that were faulty NOT customer damaged. I'd stick to that being we were a multi national company making over £12,000 a day in my shop alone, so the customer service must have been right.

But please put the dog first, the salon isn't a place for a puppy, the footfall alone is enough to over stimulate them, then there's boredom from not getting played with and excersised allong with possible irreversible lung damage from chemical fumes that could be more damaging to dogs than humans and lastly, it could eat something that may kill it, and I doubt you want your dog to die xoxo

I'm a dog lover and will do anything for mine, but I don't think a salon is the place. Get a friend or relative to sit at urs in the day to keep an eye on it and take it for a walk.
The flip flops should be replaced, IF, the the value of repairing them exceeds replacement, and IF there is damage caused by salon negligence ( not saying you are negligent, but any accidental damage can be classed this way), research the cost of replacing and repairing, then ask her to bring them in. Ask to see the damage caused by the salon, if there is then explain your chosen action and keep the footwear. If you can't see the damage yourself ask for a second opinion, if they can't then apologise and refuse, if there is a fuss kicked up then keep it calm and introduce the chosen method be it repair or replace again ad offer it her.
Under no circumstances should you give her the money or let her keep the shoes.

That was the policy when I worked for a shoe shop, we recycled faulty shoes that were faulty NOT customer damaged. I'd stick to that being we were a multi national company making over £12,000 a day in my shop alone, so the customer service must have been right.

But surely buying faulty shoes is different to having property chewed whilst paying for a treatment?

I like dogs but if one chewed at my shoes whilst I was in a salon - which, as has already been acknowledged is not the place for a poor pup in the first place - then I wouldn't be happy. I would also have been far too embarassed to say something in the salon at the time but this woman is giving you the chance to rectify the mistake. We all make mistakes but it's how you deal with them that makes the difference to whether or not the client uses your business again. You never know - if you deal with this well, she may become a regular.

I'd completely replace and apologise. You can never apologise enough. It's all about damage-limitation here. I would ask her to bring in the flip flops so you know what you're dealing with/having to replace though.

So it looks pretty unanimous Zoe, replacement/pay for flips fops and no dog at the salon.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

I disagree about getting her to bring the faulty shoe to the shop. You're creating a negative experience (and customers love to share negative experiences with friends), for what will cost a maximum of £20.

A very famous high end car company has a quote about how they love it when their cars break down, as they get to show off how awesome their customer care is. They have found that people who had a car break down, were much more likely to rebuy the same brand, rather than people whose car had run perfectly. Customers remember how we solve problems.

Latest posts

Back