Dog owners,advise please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree, poor dog, just aswell we don't treat humans the same way isn't it.
A dog I have at the minute got taken to the vets at 2 year old by his owners and told to PTS, they had had him since he was a pup but unfortunately he developed health problems so they no longer wanted him.
Heres a pic of him, its the dalmatian on the settee. How could you not want him.
100_3295.jpg
Aww bless them :hug: :hug: :hug: - he's obviously a very clever dog as well as he has been playing on the playstation or something like one :lol:

Seriously though you are 100% right we should treat our pets as one of us and I know that when I take my scraggy cat back to the vets in a few weeks time it will cost me an arm and a leg BUT I knew that it would come to this as he was already old when he came to live with us :hug:

Becki, don't know what to say to you hun, except that fingers crossed it may be something simple like an urine infection and that it can be hopefully cleared up quite quickly xxx

He could well have a water infection, but at 11 he is getting elderly, he is the same age as our Mr Bean who has always been as good as gold, the other night we were watching telly and mr bean was fast asleep on his back poor little love peed himself, he was so totally out of it, and he was really upset at his accident, he hasn't done it since so touch wood this was a one off.

I hope you can sort it out he sounds a wonderful loving friend. Has anything changed at home, if it has that could be your answer could be he is feeling a little insecure.

Joan

Ho
I have a westie age 6 and she does the same . I went to the vets in england and they wanted a urine sample but its impossable to do they said it was a infection . I moved to france and at the finish i was sick .She is a very clean dog but where ever she lay there was a patch and at the end it was running down her leg. They gave me some meds and i give it to her twice a day and she is fine. good luck because i know its a nightmare

Thank you all x

Maybe i gave the wrong impression as it was a "panic thread" but although i have struggled to get them to see it might not be a behaviour problem he is very loved and very well looked after.

In all honesty the fact that he is getting old fast is as upsetting to me as the fact that he might have had to come to me,at his age death is imminent and this has been yet another reminder of that.

His health has deteriorated rapidly over the last twelve months or so,and i think getting rid of him may be easier than watch him suffer (well that's what i think spurred those comments on)

Anyway,just felt i needed to explain myself (and justify my families actions a little) i asked for advice,and i feel passing judgement is neither justified or constructive and this saddens me greatly

Hope you get to the bottom of if Becki xxxx
3 weeks tonight I had to take my angel to the vets to be put to sleep (tears tripping me typing this) so I can see where your family are coming from its a really hard decision to make when they get old. I hope it all works out well for you xxx:hug:

Marie those dogs are beautiful:hug:

Some thing else you might consider:
It could very well be behavioural, unfortunately :cry:
BUT the good news is that if you can figure out what it is, that is setting him off, stressing him, annoying him etc..... maybe you can resolve it.?
Have you only recently moved to your parents? If yes, new environment could feel hostile to him. ARe there other pets? This might induce him to 'mark' his territory?
There is soooooooooo much to consider. IF you can't figure it out on your own, and IF you can afford it (because at 11, I would think he still had quite a few years left?) perhaps try an animal behaviourist or trainer and see what they advise?

Best of luck and giant hugs!
I truly feel for you!!
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Some thing else you might consider:
It could very well be behavioural, unfortunately :cry:
BUT the good news is that if you can figure out what it is, that is setting him off, stressing him, annoying him etc..... maybe you can resolve it.?
Have you only recently moved to your parents? If yes, new environment could feel hostile to him. ARe there other pets? This might induce him to 'mark' his territory?
There is soooooooooo much to consider. IF you can't figure it out on your own, and IF you can afford it (because at 11, I would think he still had quite a few years left?) perhaps try an animal behaviourist or trainer and see what they advise?

Best of luck and giant hugs!
I truly feel for you!!
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

We all left years ago,there is nothing,not even been decorated recently,just nothing :cry:

Thanks for the hugs x

:hug:i really hope you get to the bottom of this and he is ok. it must be hard to watch a member of the family ( which i feel they are ) grow old and poorly.

my staffie is my baby(check out my pic of her with fairy wings last xmas) and i panick if there is anything wrong with her. once, we went out and when we came home she was limping slightly and i panicked big time thinking she had done her back in... so a trip to the emergency vet (it was midnight), and £150 later we got her home and she had pulled a muscle in her leg!! lol

maybe he can smell a strange smell there he doesnt like or its purely just accidents, whatever it is i hope he is ok and better soon.

Thank you all x

Maybe i gave the wrong impression as it was a "panic thread" but although i have struggled to get them to see it might not be a behaviour problem he is very loved and very well looked after.

In all honesty the fact that he is getting old fast is as upsetting to me as the fact that he might have had to come to me,at his age death is imminent and this has been yet another reminder of that.

His health has deteriorated rapidly over the last twelve months or so,and i think getting rid of him may be easier than watch him suffer (well that's what i think spurred those comments on)

Anyway,just felt i needed to explain myself (and justify my families actions a little) i asked for advice,and i feel passing judgement is neither justified or constructive and this saddens me greatly

Easier for whom, you and your family, but certainly not for the poor fourlegger who has given you a lifetime of trust and companionship, and all he asks for is to be looked after in his old age, 11 is not the end, I go down every route possible to look after my dogs. I wouldn;t dream of having my 11 year old pts just because of a couple of accidents, just as we didn;t dream of having our 7 year old put to sleep because she had to have both eyes removed.

Joan

Easier for whom, you and your family, but certainly not for the poor fourlegger who has given you a lifetime of trust and companionship, and all he asks for is to be looked after in his old age, 11 is not the end, I go down every route possible to look after my dogs. I wouldn;t dream of having my 11 year old pts just because of a couple of accidents, just as we didn;t dream of having our 7 year old put to sleep because she had to have both eyes removed.

Joan

Like i said i asked for advise not for people to pass judgement,they have not got rid of him,and he is going to the vets.

Tbh i am offended,this is my PARENTS dog over who i have no say,they were upset,i came on here asking for help to keep him in the family home,yet now i feel i have to justify my own and my families actions.

Joan
Well excuse me! IMO and thats a ex RSPCA officer I have to tell you that one of the worst things out there is an owner who shys away from the ultimate responsibility of owning a pet. I am so angry I am shaking, If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would know that this dog is ageing fast, has over the last 12 months had many health problems and that Beki is trying to come to terms with the fact that she may have to put a very loved pet to sleep and if you as an owner do not face the fact that one day the puppy or kitten in your arms will most likely have no quality of life and that the only responsible thing to do is to put your pet down then you have NO RIGHT to be a pet owner.

Now I've finished ranting,
Becki, first thing is to have your mums dog checked out urine infections are very common in older dogs and are quiet offten caused by diet, as a dog gets older his diet needs to change to reflect the different hormone levels in his body. Kidney stones are another possibility and are quiet painful, if it is something like this once treated a good supplement to add to his food is Aloe vera and yes your dog will love the mild veg taste, can be added to his food or his water, one capeful a day bought from a health food shop for about £4 a bottle.
One reason the dog is peeing on the cushion is because he is trying to hide what he's doing, because he knows its bad but cant help it.........
If after getting your dog checked out there is no physical reason then you need to look at his environment, you say nothing has changed in his home but what about the neighbours, remember a dog can hear noises up to 3 miles away and smell a bitch in season up to 10 miles away even a change in air freshener could cause upset especially in an older dog, but my gut feeling is that this is an infection, if mum is worried about the vet bills the PDSA is open to all and in fact they need paying customers to ofset the customers that cant pay and their rates are about half to two thirds of a normal vets costs.
Hope this helps hun and I hope that peeps who think their pets are human with human responses will take this thought on board
As the more intelligent species we need to learn to speak dog (or cat) not expect our pets to speak human

Thankyou so much x

Well excuse me! IMO and thats a ex RSPCA officer I have to tell you that one of the worst things out there is an owner who shys away from the ultimate responsibility of owning a pet. I am so angry I am shaking, If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would know that this dog is ageing fast, has over the last 12 months had many health problems and that Beki is trying to come to terms with the fact that she may have to put a very loved pet to sleep and if you as an owner do not face the fact that one day the puppy or kitten in your arms will most likely have no quality of life and that the only responsible thing to do is to put your pet down then you have NO RIGHT to be a pet owner.

Now I've finished ranting,
Becki, first thing is to have your mums dog checked out urine infections are very common in older dogs and are quiet offten caused by diet, as a dog gets older his diet needs to change to reflect the different hormone levels in his body. Kidney stones are another possibility and are quiet painful, if it is something like this once treated a good supplement to add to his food is Aloe vera and yes your dog will love the mild veg taste, can be added to his food or his water, one capeful a day bought from a health food shop for about £4 a bottle.
One reason the dog is peeing on the cushion is because he is trying to hide what he's doing, because he knows its bad but cant help it.........
If after getting your dog checked out there is no physical reason then you need to look at his environment, you say nothing has changed in his home but what about the neighbours, remember a dog can hear noises up to 3 miles away and smell a bitch in season up to 10 miles away even a change in air freshener could cause upset especially in an older dog, but my gut feeling is that this is an infection, if mum is worried about the vet bills the PDSA is open to all and in fact they need paying customers to ofset the customers that cant pay and their rates are about half to two thirds of a normal vets costs.
Hope this helps hun and I hope that peeps who think their pets are human with human responses will take this thought on board
As the more intelligent species we need to learn to speak dog (or cat) not expect our pets to speak human

Sorry Suzie but I think that this is getting out of hand now and when writting a thread there will always be comments that the poster doesnt like but thats the risk of starting a thread on pets, religion etc it can soon fire up into a debate with some replies you may not like.

Sorry Suzie but I think that this is getting out of hand now and when writting a thread there will always be comments that the poster doesnt like but thats the risk of starting a thread on pets, religion etc it can soon fire up into a debate with some replies you may not like.

Religion - yes, politics - yes but pets :eek: I can't see why pets are controversial :confused:

Religion - yes, politics - yes but pets :eek: I can't see why pets are controversial :confused:

Oh believe me Adele they are, I am very fond of Becki and wouldn't upset her for the world I know how much she loves this dog but I think the comment by her step father that the dog would have to go was not a good one to repeat among so many dog lovers on here.

Oh believe me Adele they are, I am very fond of Becki and wouldn't upset her for the world I know how much she loves this dog but I think the comment by her step father that the dog would have to go was not a good one to repeat among so many dog lovers on here.

I'm a dog lover, I could understand. Even if I couldn't, who am I to judge. I am upset at the way this thread has gone and I shall not post again.

pets are controversial.. just look at mike vick and the pit bull saga.. i have to say that where pets are involved passionate people will be also..
i for one dont think we should take it out on each other.. lells heart is in the right place.. so good for her!.. im getting drunk what do i know?

I'm a dog lover, I could understand. Even if I couldn't, who am I to judge. I am upset at the way this thread has gone and I shall not post again.

Look Adele I have only just come back on here after weeks and was trying to explain how it may have come across, I also wonder why the hell I bother at times.

I am too - for Becki, more than anything!

:hug::hug::hug::hug: to you Becki, I know and believe you will do the right thing :hug:

Lets get some love :hug:s back into the thread and put a line behind it all :hug:

I think this has gone far enough.

Becki, I hope you can help your parents to come to a happy conclusion with their poor pooch.

To everyone who jumped on Becki for asking for advice on how to deal with her parents, please think before posting and ensure you read the whole thread first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back