Dog owners,advise please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

becki x

Reaction score
As some of you know my mum has an 11 yr staffie :Love: he is so lovely .

He has had some health problems of late and i'm not sure this is related.

He is obviously house trained,but twice in the last week he had wee'd all over mums sofa's,both of them (bad)

She had it cleaned last week and put it down to a one off,possibly fireworks

But he was out for 20 mins this morning and has done it again.

My step dad says he has to go,so it looks like i'll end up with him (not ideal but what do you do )

Could this be an age thing ? Or just being bad ? Is there anything i can do ?

I don't know what to do,please can someone offer some advise ? He has been a part of the family for so long,but i understand they cant let him ruin their things :cry:

If this is totally out of character then he should see a vet. Dogs will not normally do this sort of thing and at 11 he is getting on a bit. You will need to collect a urine sample for the vet to test.
Poor little thing, changing homes isn't going to help:cry:
HTH

It could be one of many things but what I would do if the dog hasnt done anything like this before is to get him checked out by the vets. It could be something mild or serious that is causing this so i think it would be a good peace of mind.

It could be something that can be cured perhaps by medication so If I was your mum and step dad I would do this first before deciding whether he comes to spend the rest of his days with you.

I'm gutted Adele

It cost mum £70.00 last week,and they never let him in there unless they are in the house and he's still done it

They don't think it's an health thing as he has only done it twice

I said what if he can't control it,but she says he doesn't do it anywhere else :cry: and i know he doesn't

i would take him to vets......just to make sure he has no infection....could be he is jealous of something/someone aswell.......attention seeking.....dogs are like us they have feelings aswell......bless his little heart...let us know how it all goes xxx

i would take him to vets......just to make sure he has no infection....could be he is jealous of something/someone aswell.......attention seeking.....dogs are like us they have feelings aswell......bless his little heart...let us know how it all goes xxx

Nothing has changed in the house/routine since we all left :cry:

I can't get across to them that it might be a health issue,and not just naughtiness as he has never done it before,and he does it all over mums fluffy white cushions,no where else

:cry: he has been with us since 6 weeks and i want him to stay at mums,so does she but they just can't afford for him to do it :cry:

At 11 all sorts could be happening to him. My MIL's cat started messing indoors and the vet said it was senility and then a couple of years later her Staffie started doing the same, she was about 12.
The trouble with dogs is that the 1st time might have been an accident but the smell is still there (to him)
I do think he should see the vet though.

Thanks all

Is there a website i could use,like a vets thing to show them (before they take him) that it might be someting else ?

I've not seen anything like that myself. You can't beat a proper examination, why don't they want to go to the Vets ?:confused:

Tbh i think they are annoyed with him and think he is just being naughty. Mum is stuck in the middled cos i won't just sit back,and step dad has had staffies for nearly 30 yrs and never had this

I just reminded mum how we all felt when he was ill and she broke down,i feel so sorry for her

free vet advice from the online vets at petplanet.co.uk
try this hun...you do have to register but they can answer any questions....failing that phone up the nearest vets and ask them....tell them its not like him doing this and sometimes they give you info over the phone xxx
p.s let us know how it all goes xxx

Tbh i think they are annoyed with him and think he is just being naughty. Mum is stuck in the middled cos i won't just sit back,and step dad has had staffies for nearly 30 yrs and never had this

I just reminded mum how we all felt when he was ill and she broke down,i feel so sorry for her
Oh dear, I really don't think a dog would do this just to be naughty TBH. I hope you can get something resolved:hug:

Thanks Jo xx

I have spoken to mum,she has bought a baby gate so there is no way he can go in there without anyone one and i am taking him to the vets :cry:

you can also get a thing called belly bands, on the link i gave you on the forums, they have loads of info about them
hth

he does it all over mums fluffy white cushions,no where else
Apart from having a word with the vet I would advise that she removes the cushions and puts them away for a while to see if he still does it, from the sounds of it he has a problem with the cushions (daft as it might sound).
Check out Champdogs (as Joanne suggested).

Hope you get to the bottom of it :hug:

Hi,
Iv had a bit of a grim experience with what started out as peeing indoors.
I had a 11-12 year old german shepard and out of the blue he started peeing indoors ( luckily not on my sofa ) he was check out by my town vet and it was a urine infection and was prescibed antibiotics after a bit of time he got it again and again he was treated it carried on like this for a while and each time he was prescibed antibiotics they worked for a lesser amount of time.
Then me and my partner noticed he was struggleing to pee outdoors.
It seemed the reason he was peeing indoors was because he could relax enough to do it.
He never done it when me or my partner were around. You could tell he was truely humiliated when we came home and found what he had done.
So we never told him off as there was obviously something wrong.
Eventually he stopped peeing all together so he was rushed to the vets in the next town who discovered he had a cancerous tumour in his bladder covering the tube the pee comes out from and nothing more could be done unfortunately.
The vet in the next town told me if he kept getting the supposive urine infections then the vet in my town should have investigated what was going on inside his bladder but they didnt just kept giving us antibiotic and sending us on our way.
Me and My partner would have been able to have done something if he had been diagnosed sooner.

I hope what is wrong with this dog is something less serious.
If it turns out to be a urine infection and it keeps coming back then i cant stress enough how important it is to ask for further investigation.
The vet told me further investigation should be carried out after the second or third time the dog has been diagnosed with a urine infection in a small amount of time.

Anna aka Tiakayla xxx

It could be a kidney infection, bladder infection or even kidney failure he does need to see a vet asap. I would also say and I know you are stuck in the middle here Becki but when someone buys a dog its for life and that means old age too and health problems that come with it.

It could be a kidney infection, bladder infection or even kidney failure he does need to see a vet asap. I would also say and I know you are stuck in the middle here Becki but when someone buys a dog its for life and that means old age too and health problems that come with it.

Totally agree, poor dog, just aswell we don't treat humans the same way isn't it.
A dog I have at the minute got taken to the vets at 2 year old by his owners and told to PTS, they had had him since he was a pup but unfortunately he developed health problems so they no longer wanted him.
Heres a pic of him, its the dalmatian on the settee. How could you not want him.
100_3295.jpg

My yorkie is 16 years old now and pees wherever he takes the fancy, in his case its old age, he cant hold it like he used to. But there are many reasons why dogs do this so Id have to agree with everyone else and say see the vet. I have a range of disposable nappies, reusable nappies and other bits and bobs so if u need any websites etc feel free to PM me. HTHs. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back