Doggie daycare at the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, been a while since I've been in here. lol

Anyhow, for those that don't know me; I work from home and am an avid animal lover.
I have a crazy but social and affectionate cat AND 2 x 60lb dogs. Also, both affectionate and socialized and WELL behaved.
I'm an advocate for animal rights and an activist in animal rescue.

Having said all of that, I also have a "NO CHILDREN policy" for my place of business (my home) because they interupt services and create delays and I do NOT run a daycare.

SO WHY OH WHY have two clients in the space of one week wanted to bring their pets?

One wanted to bring her very LARGE dog. She says to me "oh, he's in training as a therapy dog. He'll just sit there and ignore your dogs"
Ummm HOW ABOUT NO!

I explained over and over that NO her dog was not welcome at an appointment. That MY dogs will not ignore him and not understand that HE is in training and gosh forbid they decide that they don't like each other and I'd have 3 HUGE dogs kicking up a fuss in my front room next to my GLASS manicure table and GLASS cabinet and GLASS topped coffee tables?
How many different ways can you define a disaster?

While the law does say that a place of business may NOT refuse entry of a guide/therpay dog to the premises: MY place of business is first and foremost, my HOME.
This is not a shopping mall, nor a bank, nor a 'usual salon' where there are NO OTHER DOGS. While I commiserate and sympathize, the answer is no. I will not risk a ruckus in my home with a dog that is unknown to ME and that at the very least will cause delays in the service with interuptions - which will inconvenience my next client.

Next client:
Parks out front, leaves her pup in the car barking it's fool head off, annoying the neighbors for 1.5hrs. Needless to say, I heard complaints later and my neighbors were NOT pleased with me. :-(

These are very sweet and kind and loyal clients. Love them to death. But oh my.... no... dogs do not belong at nail-appointments!

Ok, been a while since I've been in here. lol

Anyhow, for those that don't know me; I work from home and am an avid animal lover.
I have a crazy but social and affectionate cat AND 2 x 60lb dogs. Also, both affectionate and socialized and WELL behaved.
I'm an advocate for animal rights and an activist in animal rescue.

Having said all of that, I also have a "NO CHILDREN policy" for my place of business (my home) because they interupt services and create delays and I do NOT run a daycare.

SO WHY OH WHY have two clients in the space of one week wanted to bring their pets?

One wanted to bring her very LARGE dog. She says to me "oh, he's in training as a therapy dog. He'll just sit there and ignore your dogs"
Ummm HOW ABOUT NO!

I explained over and over that NO her dog was not welcome at an appointment. That MY dogs will not ignore him and not understand that HE is in training and gosh forbid they decide that they don't like each other and I'd have 3 HUGE dogs kicking up a fuss in my front room next to my GLASS manicure table and GLASS cabinet and GLASS topped coffee tables?
How many different ways can you define a disaster?

While the law does say that a place of business may NOT refuse entry of a guide/therpay dog to the premises: MY place of business is first and foremost, my HOME.
This is not a shopping mall, nor a bank, nor a 'usual salon' where there are NO OTHER DOGS. While I commiserate and sympathize, the answer is no. I will not risk a ruckus in my home with a dog that is unknown to ME and that at the very least will cause delays in the service with interuptions - which will inconvenience my next client.

Next client:
Parks out front, leaves her pup in the car barking it's fool head off, annoying the neighbors for 1.5hrs. Needless to say, I heard complaints later and my neighbors were NOT pleased with me. :-(

These are very sweet and kind and loyal clients. Love them to death. But oh my.... no... dogs do not belong at nail-appointments!

And there was me thinking taking kids was bad enough! But do you know what i honestly think it is? Its your house, rules wont be as strict as in a shop, you have dogs and are an animal lover so why not??? Now thats not my personal opinion however i feel it may be what people think! Good on you for standing your ground with client 1. Is client 2 someone you feel you could have a word with regarding not doing it again? Just mention that your neighbours have complained and you feel it is a distressing situation to put the dog in maybe? Hope ive helped a bit xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

It's a awful situation to leave a dog in a car, mine is in the car only when I am, if I'm out of it so is he.
Iv not heard of a therapy dog, what is it?
I love all dogs, but in my house mine comes first, he's a old man now and I don't like it when a younger dog expects him to play as much as they want to and don't understand no. He's a calm dog and will walk away and go alone when he's finished, and iv never seen him get naggy, he lets young children pull on his ears etc... But when he walks away I tell them no more until he comes to you, I don't want to know his temper, iv seen him fight when he's been attacked and I was more scared for the other dog lol.

I think other doggy people think that because you have them it's ok and you like them, which you do, but from your post you seem to have the same views as me, your own come first. Xoxo

First of all it's great to see you back!

I suspect that the clients perceive you as someone who loves dogs so much that you'd be fine about this. I can see why you would not.
Also, if your dogs are present in the room this reinforces their misconception.

However lovely the clients are, if there was any injury to a dog of theirs they wouldn't be so lovely then.......

Thanks Dandelion!

I don't think it's so much that my dogs are present.
I think it's that I work from HOME so they're assuming anything goes, beyond what would be acceptable in a salon. It's not only Dog issues I've faced.

Yes, my dogs do visit us BUT, they will stay on the couch when told to and won't bother client unless clients invite their attention. Even then, they keep to themselves for the most part. They know I'll give them grief. (where I work is in the front room off the front door, so there's no door to close it off. Can't do anything about it at the moment, short of renovating)

As for the puppy that was stuck in a car... some folks don't want to hear a word and you can't say anything otherwise. Nothing I would have said mattered, we had discussed it previously and I advised against it. Nothing more I could have done, short of argue vehemently and lose a client who is otherwise very very nice. I will mention my neighbors complaints if the issue comes up again. Oy, what an uncomfortable position to be in. Blah:sad:

If my clients had said "lets have a doggy playdate outside of business hours", I would have said sure. I encourage socialization of all dogs. But not during work hours.

I so look forward to owning my own place one day that is NOT in my home. Then I won't be in these awkward positions anymore.

Glad to see you, again.

I think it's the old "As one dog lover to another....." bit. I bet they assumed you'd acquiesce if they just showed up with their pet.

I dont realy see the problem with a dog being left in a car, other than the noise. My dog is oftern left in my car. When its not hot. She likes the car and she sits watching everyone around rather than being on her own at home, she comes with me everywere.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

You should never leave a dog in a car even on a cool day as the temp may become uncomfortable as the dogs breathing may make it humid. Theres a few reasons I wouldn't dream of taking a dog into someone else's home especially a place where you perform beauty treatments. Firstly, if the dog is in training the owner has not yet fully trained it or knows exactly how it may react. Another reason is if the dog becomes excited or aggressive they could hurt you or your dogs or break something, also, they could smell bad, shed hair or pee due to marking territory or excitement, also can you be sure theyve been deflead, fully vaccinated or have no mites or ticks they may pass on? all of which you would have to clean up

Last edited:
Glad to see you, again.

I think it's the old "As one dog lover to another....." bit. I bet they assumed you'd acquiesce if they just showed up with their pet.

Thanks!
Yes, they did assume, and assumed wrongly. Running a business, not doggie daycare lol

I dont realy see the problem with a dog being left in a car, other than the noise. My dog is oftern left in my car. When its not hot. She likes the car and she sits watching everyone around rather than being on her own at home, she comes with me everywere.

it's against the law here, to leave a dog in the car.
They can die in a mere couple of minutes. It's wrong and it's cruel!
I'm in Quebec/Canada, but this was in the next province over in Toronto
Ontario couple face charges after dog dies in hot car

They can't sweat like we do. They get overheated FAST.

Dogs in hot cars - Health and welfare - Dogs

Which reads

Dogs die in hot cars

LocateAsset

Don't leave your dog alone in a car.
If you’re going out in the car, think very carefully about what you are going to do with your dog. You should never leave a dog alone in a car.It can get unbearably hot in a car on a sunny day, even when it’s not that warm.

In fact, when it’s 22°C/72°F outside, the temperature inside a car can soar to 47°C/117°F within 60 minutes.

Unlike humans, dogs pant to help keep themselves cool. In a hot stuffy car dogs can’t cool down – leaving a window open or a sunshield on your windscreen won’t keep your car cool enough. Dogs die in hot cars.

Under the Animal Welfare Act you have a legal duty to care for your animal and if you put your animal at risk, you could face prosecution. You would also have to live with the fact that your actions resulted in terrible suffering for your pet.

If you see a dog in a car on a warm day please call the Police on 999. For more information read our FAQ.

Heatstroke - early warning signs

Heatstroke can be fatal. Do everything you can to prevent it.

Some dogs are more prone to heatstroke. For example, dogs with short snouts, fatter or heavily muscled dogs and long-haired breeds, as well as very old or very young dogs. Dogs with certain diseases are more prone to heatstroke, as are dogs on certain medication.

If dogs are unable to reduce their body temperature, they will develop heatstroke. There are some signs to look for:

• heavy panting
  • profuse salivation
  • a rapid pulse
  • very red gums/tongue
  • lethargy
  • lack of coordination
  • reluctance or inability to rise after collapsing
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • loss of consciousness in extreme circumstances.

Heatstroke - first aid

If your dog shows any symptoms of heatstroke, move him/her to a shaded, cool area and ring your vet for advice immediately.

Heatstroke can be fatal and should always be treated as an emergency.

Dogs suffering from heatstroke urgently need to have their body temperature gradually lowered:
  • Immediately douse your dog with cool (not cold) water, to avoid shock – you could put your dog in a shower and run cool water over him/her, or use a spray filled with cool water and place your dog in the breeze of a fan.
  • Let your dog drink small amounts of cool water.
  • Continue to douse your dog with cool water until his/her breathing starts to settle – never cool your dog so much that he/she begins to shiver.
Once you have cooled your dog down you should take him/her straight to the veterinary surgery.

Top tips for warm weather

• Your dog should always be able to move into a cooler, ventilated environment if he/she is feeling hot.
    LocateAsset
  • Never leave your dog alone in a car. If you want to take your dog with you on a car journey, make sure that your destination is dog-friendly – you won’t be able to leave your dog in the car and you don’t want your day out to be ruined!
  • If you have to leave your dog outside, you must provide a cool shady spot where he/she can escape from the sun at all times of the day.
  • Make sure your dog always has a good supply of drinking water, in a weighted bowl that can’t be knocked over. Carry water with you on hot days and give your dog frequent small amounts.
  • Never leave your dog in a glass conservatory or a caravan. Even if it is cloudy when you leave, the sun may come out later in the day and make it unbearably hot.
  • Groom your dog regularly to get rid of excess hair. Give long-coated breeds a haircut at the start of the summer, and later in the season, if necessary.
  • Dogs need exercise - even when it is hot. Walk your dog early in the morning or later in the evening. Never allow your dog to exercise excessively in hot weather.
  • Dogs can get sunburned too – particularly those with light-coloured noses or light-coloured fur on their ears. Ask your vet for advice on pet-safe sunscreen.

Thanks!
Yes, they did assume, and assumed wrongly. Running a business, not doggie daycare lol

it's against the law here, to leave a dog in the car.
They can die in a mere couple of minutes. It's wrong and it's cruel!
I'm in Quebec/Canada, but this was in the next province over in Toronto
Ontario couple face charges after dog dies in hot car

They can't sweat like we do. They get overheated FAST.

Thanks, didn't want to give a lecture but people need to be aware before its too late. All the more reason to leave dogs at home in a room where there's water available and plenty of ventilation.

Seriously, if anyone does travel with their dogs and has to leave them in the car for any period of time, please leave them at home instead, just because they can't talk and tell you how uncomfortable they are, it's up to you as an owner to educate yourselves for the sake of your precious pet.

Sorry but its cold most if the time were i live and compleatly fine to leave a dog in a car. Im not talking all day but an hour or so. I wouldnt leave her on a hot or warm day. Also shes not caged or stuck in the boot she is happy just sitting on the sit looking out the window at people. She ls hardly going to overheat when it raining outside.

Dogs in hot cars - Health and welfare - Dogs

Which reads

Dogs die in hot cars

LocateAsset

Don't leave your dog alone in a car.
If you’re going out in the car, think very carefully about what you are going to do with your dog. You should never leave a dog alone in a car.It can get unbearably hot in a car on a sunny day, even when it’s not that warm.

In fact, when it’s 22°C/72°F outside, the temperature inside a car can soar to 47°C/117°F within 60 minutes.

Unlike humans, dogs pant to help keep themselves cool. In a hot stuffy car dogs can’t cool down – leaving a window open or a sunshield on your windscreen won’t keep your car cool enough. Dogs die in hot cars.

Under the Animal Welfare Act you have a legal duty to care for your animal and if you put your animal at risk, you could face prosecution. You would also have to live with the fact that your actions resulted in terrible suffering for your pet.

If you see a dog in a car on a warm day please call the Police on 999. For more information read our FAQ.

Heatstroke - early warning signs

Heatstroke can be fatal. Do everything you can to prevent it.

Some dogs are more prone to heatstroke. For example, dogs with short snouts, fatter or heavily muscled dogs and long-haired breeds, as well as very old or very young dogs. Dogs with certain diseases are more prone to heatstroke, as are dogs on certain medication.

If dogs are unable to reduce their body temperature, they will develop heatstroke. There are some signs to look for:

• heavy panting
  • profuse salivation
  • a rapid pulse
  • very red gums/tongue
  • lethargy
  • lack of coordination
  • reluctance or inability to rise after collapsing
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • loss of consciousness in extreme circumstances.

Heatstroke - first aid

If your dog shows any symptoms of heatstroke, move him/her to a shaded, cool area and ring your vet for advice immediately.

Heatstroke can be fatal and should always be treated as an emergency.

Dogs suffering from heatstroke urgently need to have their body temperature gradually lowered:
  • Immediately douse your dog with cool (not cold) water, to avoid shock – you could put your dog in a shower and run cool water over him/her, or use a spray filled with cool water and place your dog in the breeze of a fan.
  • Let your dog drink small amounts of cool water.
  • Continue to douse your dog with cool water until his/her breathing starts to settle – never cool your dog so much that he/she begins to shiver.
Once you have cooled your dog down you should take him/her straight to the veterinary surgery.

Top tips for warm weather

• Your dog should always be able to move into a cooler, ventilated environment if he/she is feeling hot.
    LocateAsset
  • Never leave your dog alone in a car. If you want to take your dog with you on a car journey, make sure that your destination is dog-friendly – you won’t be able to leave your dog in the car and you don’t want your day out to be ruined!
  • If you have to leave your dog outside, you must provide a cool shady spot where he/she can escape from the sun at all times of the day.
  • Make sure your dog always has a good supply of drinking water, in a weighted bowl that can’t be knocked over. Carry water with you on hot days and give your dog frequent small amounts.
  • Never leave your dog in a glass conservatory or a caravan. Even if it is cloudy when you leave, the sun may come out later in the day and make it unbearably hot.
  • Groom your dog regularly to get rid of excess hair. Give long-coated breeds a haircut at the start of the summer, and later in the season, if necessary.
  • Dogs need exercise - even when it is hot. Walk your dog early in the morning or later in the evening. Never allow your dog to exercise excessively in hot weather.
  • Dogs can get sunburned too – particularly those with light-coloured noses or light-coloured fur on their ears. Ask your vet for advice on pet-safe sunscreen.

it only just about gets it 22c in the height of summer where i live. And the summer lasts about two weeks. The rest of the time is below 14c so im not leaving a dog in a hot car. And a dog in a cool car for an hour is not going to die!!!!!!!!

I understand if it's cooler where you are at, granted there's a difference.
Myself, in the winter when it's 30 below zero, I have on occasion left my dogs in the car for a couple of minutes.
But where I reside, it's against the law.

I also know from personal experience, from advisories from vet-techs/vets/dog behaviourists that I personally know that in many cases; the dog truly is happier at home.
They don't relax in a car, they are on constant alert. For 'some' (not all) dogs, this can create anxiety. Stress.
No one likes being anxious, not person nor animal.

Please don't take that wrong. I'm not casting judgement on your own circumstances; any only seeking to share information.

HOWEVER, that said; where I reside it's against the law and public knowledge. Some folks here ought to know better. But they flagrantly disregard the law and the reason it exists. It's saddens me. AND, more the to the point: I don't run a doggie daycare.
Whether it's my home, or a salon in the mall: it's still a business.

Sorry but its cold most if the time were i live and compleatly fine to leave a dog in a car. Im not talking all day but an hour or so. I wouldnt leave her on a hot or warm day. Also shes not caged or stuck in the boot she is happy just sitting on the sit looking out the window at people. She ls hardly going to overheat when it raining outside.

I'm sorry but when it's raining is probably just as bad as a hot day, have you ever left your heaters off on a rainy and just sat in the car breathing? It gets pure misty and humid. Please do not take it as a personal attack on your character as a pet owner, but like I said before, your dog cannot talk, just have a think, is it really worth taking your dog with you if you know it will be left in the car for any amount of time?

Well the windows open for her. And iv never come back to steamed up windows. She had water and a toy i have a landrover discovery its very big she can move about she does not get hot. I love my dog very much and she if fine in the car for a short while our usual routine is we go for big long walk in woods, i nip to shops after, she sleeps in car. I come back with a treat everyone happy.

Latest posts

Back