dogs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughty nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have sent a thread before with the dog problems but just wanted to say that he saw the vet today and I just can't stop laughing as i have a dog with attention disorder, Anyone ever heard of a crazy thing???? HEE HEE. The dog known as rocky thinks i'm it's mother, thinks it rules the roost and generally has bad behaviour which should now have stopped!plus he does NOT listen but hey he's a male, wanted to tell the vet that but hey a male!
He has been given drugs to help him sleep, I'm just in so much shock i had to tell someone.:) :)

oh you poor thing, just could not stop laughing.
must be really annoying though, get that dog trainer woman in from the telly. she seems to cure any dog.

If a vet said that to me I'd be changing vets.
Did he go through diet, exercise, mental stimulation etc. etc. etc. first.
What drugs has he put him on?

marie111 said:
If a vet said that to me I'd be changing vets.
Did he go through diet, exercise, mental stimulation etc. etc. etc. first.
What drugs has he put him on?

ditto hun.

Hehehehehe...
My doggie and kittens have DESOBEDIENCE disorder...

Hi guys.
The diet is fine, I just can't get over it, soooo funny tried a few tips so far this evening and he totally hates being on his own, i shut him away in the other room this eve during tea and all is did is cry. The drugs he is on are valium. one very small tablet an hour before bed.
We will see if he actually sleeps through the nite as i'm up with him 2/3 times a nite. That's Bl***dy hard when you have a full time job as well in the morning and work with 6 babies. I need matchsticks to keep my eyes OPEN.
Will keep you all informed with the progress.
I can never keep things simple!!:irked:

lol! Funny thing actually, my dog has the same problem, he gets quite vicious though sometimes, hes completely loveable, but i was told when he gets jealous of my man he lashes out, he's on a sort of sedative for when he gets bad!

I`m shocked!!! - the poor dog sounds very confused as to his position in the "pack" (i.e your family).

Dogs are happiest when they know where they stand - and it sounds like he`s allowed to be the Alpha male one minute and then a subordinate the next. There are some excellent books out there one of which is

"The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell - if you read this - it`ll change all your lives and then they`ll be no need to drug him anymore.

Hope you get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Well he is just a puppy of 10 weeks but we have had him for a month and the progress, well there hasn't been any. He just won't sleep through the nite and i have taken to sleeping on the sofa which means my partner has not really seen me. (Green eyed monster!) We tried with the herbal remedy of the rescue remedy but no luck. I just want a normal nite sleep.
Behaviour is also soooo wild but can be lovely. I understand he is a springer but hey. I really didn't think a puppy was that difficult. Challenge or wot!:)

Gaby said:
Hehehehehe...
My doggie and kittens have DESOBEDIENCE disorder...
Mine too! I think all cats do!!
xxx

Don't read the dog listener she will just fill you with dominance theories.
A dog is similar to a child when crying through the night, if you get up it will cry, if you ignore it a few nights it will soon learn.
I have just noticed you say you have had him a month & he is 10 weeks, so you got him at 6 weeks is that right?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - invest in the book (£7.99 and worth every penny) - I recommended - you`ll notice massive differences within days!!! (if you follow it to the letter and be consistant - and make sure all the other members of the household do the same).

I have a very head strong Westie that thought she ruled the roost at 7 weeks when we first brought her home. She would whine/howl/bark/chewthings up when i left the room (a sign of anxiety that a lower ranking member of the pack has gone and she wasn`t able to protect me any more) She would then jump up constantly when i returned. I only needed to flick through the book a couple of times and it was like majic.

She`s an adorable 2 year old darling now. Let me know how you get on if you do get the book.

marie111 said:
Don't read the dog listener she will just fill you with dominance theories.
A dog is similar to a child when crying through the night, if you get up it will cry, if you ignore it a few nights it will soon learn.
I have just noticed you say you have had him a month & he is 10 weeks, so you got him at 6 weeks is that right?

Ignore a crying child??? - how brutal is that?:eek:

I have a daughter and a dog.

Dogs are nothing like children.

Speachless!!!

You should send him to dog borstal! Have you seen it? I might meet you there with my problem doggie!!!

princessniknox said:

Speachless!!!

Sometimes hun you do have to ignore a crying child-it's called the controlled crying technique!! Never worked with my dog though....

1999judy said:
Sometimes hun you do have to ignore a crying child-it's called the controlled crying technique!! Never worked with my dog though....

I think my other half tries that technique with me, I talk to him and he just ignores me!:lol:

btw it doesn't work, it just makes me angry and shout!!!

Have to say I have just finished reading the dog listener, got it from the library so didnt cost me a penny! Its a great book!

We didnt get it because we have dog problems, but we are getting an Alaskan Malamute later in the year and it was recommended that I read it by the breeder - suddenly it all makes sense! :green:

There are loads of things that apply to our Llahsa Apso that I didnt even realise like the separation anxiety thing, we have changed our ways and she no longer looks upon herself as 'alpha' and what a difference in just a week!

Get the book, what have you got to loose?

princessniknox said:

Speachless!!!

Oh come on, you know exactly what I meant.
I have two kids and two dogs and they weren't brought up brutally.
If you run to a crying child every time it cries it soon learns it has to cry to get attention.
Same as if you let a child into your bed every nightand then decide you don't want the child in your bed you are going to have a long job on your hands to correct the situation. Ditto with the dog.
If you follow Jan Fennels methods and eat before your dog who remember is a dog and you aren't so why would the dog look upon you as a dog (pack leader)
Jan Fennel is very 1970s and things have moved on since then.
I'm not going to mention the dog again as I'm not an expert on dogs and don't suppose any of us on here are either apart from maybe Susie H who if I am right has extensive experience with them.

the dog is suffering from what sounds like 'Separation Anxiety', my dog had it when he was a puppy.
basically they don't like to be left, and, as like a crying baby/child, if they know their 'mum' will come to them if they cry loud enough they're going to continue to do it.

try getting a 'Kong', they're solid rubber, in a cone shape, pack it tightly with dog biscuits, maybe a bit of cheese etc etc if it's tightly packed then the dog will spend ages trying to get the goodies out of it, at the same time as mentally knackering itself out, end result is a dog who will not only have something to keep it's mind active but also help it to sleep due to tiring itself out.

get some behaviour books, we actually ended up having an animal behaviourist come to our house to try to sort our dog out (a few years ago). the dog needs to know where it stands in the food chain so feed him after you've eaten, when coming home say hi to your family before the dog etc etc.

get yourself a 'clicker' and some doggy treats to train him to sit, stay, etc etc, most dogs will do literally anything for food and the best time to start is when they're young.

hth's

ValencianNails said:
the dog is suffering from what sounds like 'Separation Anxiety', my dog had it when he was a puppy.
basically they don't like to be left, and, as like a crying baby/child, if they know their 'mum' will come to them if they cry loud enough they're going to continue to do it.

try getting a 'Kong', they're solid rubber, in a cone shape, pack it tightly with dog biscuits, maybe a bit of cheese etc etc if it's tightly packed then the dog will spend ages trying to get the goodies out of it, at the same time as mentally knackering itself out, end result is a dog who will not only have something to keep it's mind active but also help it to sleep due to tiring itself out.

get some behaviour books, we actually ended up having an animal behaviourist come to our house to try to sort our dog out (a few years ago). the dog needs to know where it stands in the food chain so feed him after you've eaten, when coming home say hi to your family before the dog etc etc.

get yourself a 'clicker' and some doggy treats to train him to sit, stay, etc etc, most dogs will do literally anything for food and the best time to start is when they're young.

hth's

Agree with this as your dog is still only a puppy and u havnt had him that long it will take time for him to settle in when we got our puppy he cried for a few weeks and we just had to ignore him and now he just sleeps straight through the night. Also the comment on the leaving the crying child i worked in a day nursery for 2 years and soon learnt if u pick a child up everytime it cried thats what it would do cry for attention exactly what your dog is doing (but im no expert!) My nan has trained many dogs with alot of sucsess another thing if it jumps all over you either turn your back on the dog and ignore it or another one is cover your face with your hands most dogs dislike this! Also dogs with seperation issuses has anyone tried just leaving the dog for little periods at a time so they get used to realising that your coming back? Dont know if this one works! :rolleyes: As i said im no dog expert but some things are worth a try! HTH xxx

Latest posts

Back