Doing a "fill" on cheap nails you didn't apply?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitzyGlam08

Reaction score
I am the only nail tech at my salon. The thing is, we have a lot of cheap salons around us.. Well girls will call and schedule a "fill" and since I'm so busy I don't always get to take the calls.

So these girls will come in for their appointment with nails half on or nails that are extremely hard to file down.. (MMA?) Or that have 3 fill lines already visible! In other words, they look bad and I don't want my name on them. What do you do in these situations?

Do you require them to soak their nails/file completely down and start over? If so how do you say it politely and tell them that there is also an extra fee as well..

I don't turn down any work. I just say to these girls that I can infill them but can't guarantee they won't see the infill lines, so recommend having a nail polish over the top until the old stuff grows out. Also try educating your client about the dangers of going to NSS places. Hth xx

I also never turn work down. I may encourage my client to have a soak off & new set rather than an infill, but if an infill is what they want I will do it, and will warn them that I cant make any promises about longevity etc.

I never soak off NSS. You think its hard to file.... its 10x harder to soak and the damage that can sometimes be revealed underneath is not nice for you to work on or the client to endure.

I file down as much old product as i can, usually needed anyway because some of them are so thick, then rebalance over the top.

Could you not have a word with your receptionist and get them to ask a couple more questions when booking them in? That way you can make sure you have more time if needed. It would be good to know if they were a new or returning client. If they were a new client where they had the original set done. You will know the offending salons and can adjust accordingly.

Yea, there's no telling if the nails underneath are in good enough condition for a new set. In most cases, it's badly damaged and very thin, too flimsey to hold a new set. Whatever those places have slapped on them is ridiculously stuck on there pretty good, so the best thing is to file down the bulk and backfill, and bring the enhancements to the correct thickness and shape. If they keep coming to you for backfills, the old stuff will eventually grow out and what they'll have left is your products. From there you can either put on a brand new set, or if there's nothing wrong with them and client is still happy with them, continue backfilling.

Latest posts

Back