Doing Beauty Therapy NVQ course at age 22/23?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberley-r

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 22 and thinking about doing a Beauty Therapy course at college. Is this too old?! I know most of the people who do it are 16! I was going to do the course at 16 but ended up doing a levels/uni instead, now I still feel like I want to do it! I would love to work in a massage/spa kind of environment (I think!). And also have a skill that could be used in different countries.

Is an NVQ course the best way to get qualified? It's at the local further education college, and is two years full time.

If anyone has done this kind of course would they be able to tell me the structure of it?

I have done a nails course already, but I'm not very confident. I think this was due to it being a 3 day course. If I was to do a longer term course would it help Increase my confidence as I would be practicing more often and not just left to my own devices?

I'm also wondering if this is a good direction to go in? Are there beauty therapy jobs? Spa jobs etc? I don't want to waste two years and then not be able to get a job (like I did with my degree lol :()

Would appreciate any advice! I can't really afford to do it through a private school.

I personally wish I did an apprenticeship rather than college but when I did my level 2 at college there was older members of the group too, the group ended up splitting like 20+ then the group of girls that just came out of school and thought it would be easy .... Full time at college is only 2-3 days a week so if you can get an apprenticeship somewhere try that if not then just go for the college you probably won't be the oldest one on the course! X.

Thanks for the advice :) I don't think I could get an apprenticeship, being older than school leaving age I don't think places have the funding for it. I suppose it could be worth a try though.

I can imagine there would probably be a few in their twenties on the course, I know a lady who did hairdressing when she was 37! :)

No no no!!!! To your first question anyway :D I was 25 when I went back to collage and loved it. There were quite a few mature students on the course, oldest one was 40.

I would say its definitely the best way to train. Some might be happy being shown something once but I need to be shown and practice properly. Also, a lot of day courses don't go through the health and safety aspects or the anatomy and physiology that the nvq will cover.

As for jobs, a lot of salons/spas will ask for NVQ 3 as a minimum. I don't know what area you're in to comment on the job prospects but once you've qualified, working for yourself is always an option.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou for replying pink bows beauty. I've just looked on the website and it's actually a City and Guilds level 2 and 3 diploma, is this equivalent to the NVQ? I know they used to do NVQ and BTEC.

Yep I did think of mobile too if I couldn't get a job, also have a baby due soon so I would be able to fit mobile around family life :) I don't know of many mobile therapists around here so there would probably be a gap in the market for that!

There's also a 'complimentary therapies' Course which appeals to me. But would it be better to do the beauty therapy as that includes the things that people want such as eye treatments, facials etc. Then possibly do some further qualifications in massage?

I dont speak from experience but from what Ive read on here, spa work is hard.

I think you are a good age to do the course, get some spa/salon experience under your belt, then look in to going self employed if you want to start earning better money.

Go for it :)

Xx

With the nails course, I basically did a manicure, a pedicure, two set of acrylics and one set of gels supervised by them and that was it. They passed me, gave me the certificate and I was basically free to do them but had no confidence!

I know I could have practiced at home and got better but really feel like if I was at college and didn't feel confident with something they would give me advice/help or let me practice more kind of thing?

I'm 27 and studying level 3 nail services I don't feel old in my class I wish if have done it at 16 but I probably wouldn't have studied as hard as I'm studying now in serious about wanting to be in this profession where as I think if if have done it at 16 I would have been more laid back. I'm really happy I'm finally doing it! Good luck x

Thankyou for replying pink bows beauty. I've just looked on the website and it's actually a City and Guilds level 2 and 3 diploma, is this equivalent to the NVQ? I know they used to do NVQ and BTEC.

Yep I did think of mobile too if I couldn't get a job, also have a baby due soon so I would be able to fit mobile around family life :) I don't know of many mobile therapists around here so there would probably be a gap in the market for that!

There's also a 'complimentary therapies' Course which appeals to me. But would it be better to do the beauty therapy as that includes the things that people want such as eye treatments, facials etc. Then possibly do some further qualifications in massage?

Yep city and guilds provide the nvq sylabus and certification etc. If the course isnt provided by them, I believe im right in saying, its not a full nvq. Like I say, I loved doing mine!

After I initially qualified I did exactly what you plan on doing, fitted appointments in around my young family. Still works 7 years on!

Complimentary therapies are good as an add on as it includes things like aromatherapy. I would say maybe add that on at a later date as the waxing/manicures/tanning etc will be your basics covered.

Good luck with it hunney and let us know what you decide!

This is such an interesting thread as i am in the exact same boat as you!

Im 22
Done quite a few beauty courses
have a mobile business
wanting to go to college this year for NVQ 2 & 3 but i am quite nervous about being the oldest in the class - when i went to my induction day, there was lots of 17 year olds.

xx

Yep city and guilds provide the nvq sylabus and certification etc. If the course isnt provided by them, I believe im right in saying, its not a full nvq. Like I say, I loved doing mine!

After I initially qualified I did exactly what you plan on doing, fitted appointments in around my young family. Still works 7 years on!

Complimentary therapies are good as an add on as it includes things like aromatherapy. I would say maybe add that on at a later date as the waxing/manicures/tanning etc will be your basics covered.

Good luck with it hunney and let us know what you decide!

Thankyou :) going to get in touch with the college and see what they say about the structure of the course etc. When I was at school I did a city and guilds Level 1 there, every Friday morning and enjoyed it!

I would love to be able to do it this September, so depending on how many days a week etc it is I might be able to :)

This is such an interesting thread as i am in the exact same boat as you!

Im 22
Done quite a few beauty courses
have a mobile business
wanting to go to college this year for NVQ 2 & 3 but i am quite nervous about being the oldest in the class - when i went to my induction day, there was lots of 17 year olds.

xx

Hi :)

I think in a way it's better doing it at this age, we're much more mature and know ourselves better. We know what we want, so we'd be doing it because we really want to not because it seems like an easy/fun option for when we finish school if you get what I mean. We would also have to put a lot into it and be more committed which can only be a good thing, as we want to be the best we can! Also, when I go to beauty therapists for treatments I somehow feel much more at ease with therapists that are 'older' I don't mean ancient but in their twenties/thirties or whatever, than a therapists who is 18, I don't know why I just prefer it :)

Hi :)

I think in a way it's better doing it at this age, we're much more mature and know ourselves better. We know what we want, so we'd be doing it because we really want to not because it seems like an easy/fun option for when we finish school if you get what I mean. We would also have to put a lot into it and be more committed which can only be a good thing, as we want to be the best we can! Also, when I go to beauty therapists for treatments I somehow feel much more at ease with therapists that are 'older' I don't mean ancient but in their twenties/thirties or whatever, than a therapists who is 18, I don't know why I just prefer it :)
completely agree :green: im excited to start college in Sept!! X

I was 37 when I went back to college and I wasn't the oldest - nearly but not quite! If you don't do it now, you'll be another year older wishing you'd started doing it a year ago!

Good luck

Vicki x

Not too old at all! I'm currently studying level 3 beauty therapy and a lot of the girls are 25+ xx

Not too old. Ive just re trained at age of 34 having originally trained over ten years ago. The class had the same age range then as now...about 16 to 50s.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone :) going to email the college today and enquire about the structure of the course etc because would need to fit in some work too, as well as being a mum lol.

I am 36 and just started level 2 so no your not to hr I am doing a intense course over 20 weeks with local beauty salon that does training courses so do 4 hours every Tuesday evening fits in great as hubby is home to look after them, loving it so far

I am 26 and doing Level 2. All my group is age from 24 to 45. I think its the best age to do Beauty Therapy.

Too old no i went and did hairdressing at 16 then beauty at 18 then nails at 28

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back