Doing nails on yourself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire C

Reaction score
Hi again

Does anyone have any tips on applying l&p on you own nails, I currently have a "nail tech" do my nails which I was perfectly happy with but she is retraining as a nurse from september so won't be able to do my nails anymore. Incidently having been on here for a few weeks and starting to learn myself I have realised that she doesn't do half the stuff she should. The only prep is to buff the nail up!! So...I will be doing my own nails shortly which I am assuming is much more difficult to do than on a trainer hand or real person. Any tips that you may have would be great, can't be having naff nails:lol:

Hi claire, which company are you training with? x

I would wait until I had finished my training and got in some practise before trying to do my own nails.

Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Hi Kelly

I am training with essential nails, I know that is not everyone's choice but it works for me at the moment with my family and work commitments. I know there is better training out there and I may progress to that at a later date but for now I am doing it this way.

I think people have got the wrong end of the stick here lol, I didn't mean tell me how to do nails cos I am learning that already. What I meant was it is more awkward to do your own lefty righty hand thing!! and if there are any easy ways of doing it that people know about!!:)

I think people have got the wrong end of the stick here lol, I didn't mean tell me how to do nails cos I am learning that already. What I meant was it is more awkward to do your own lefty righty hand thing!! and if there are any easy ways of doing it that people know about!!:)

Learning to do your wrong hand just takes practise really. Do that one first, whilst you are fresh.............and leave yourself plenty of time - HTH

Thanks Adele, I never thought of doing the wrong one first but that kinda makes sense now, I will have to remember that one.

another option is to use PopIts on your right hand and do your own left hand.

anne xx

I do my right hand first, and sometimes put tips on my right hand and sculpt my left, I always make sure I have LOTS of time. I sometimes do one hand and then do the other later on iygwim. Also sometimes I find my right hand looks better than my left as I concentrate harder if this makes sense. Just takes practise, It annoys me when I do lovely sets of nails on clients yet sometimes I dont make as much effort with my own, I am my biggest advertisment so should really take the time ha ha.

HTH Kate xx

Totally agree, do the wrong hand first! Also agree that ths quite often looks better than the other, due to the time and concentration involved. :)

Thanks everyone, I will try some of these

Totally agree with you Katy, your own nails are your best advert, and when you turn out good stuff for clients you want that too!!

Claire

I had a Poppit sample for ages now but kept forgetting to try it out. Anyway I broke a nail, so dug out the sample poppit and give it a go and well quite frankly I am amazed! Cant believe I left it so long without trying. Was dead easy and took no time at all.

Ps I also only have natural pink acrylics as I simply cannot do whites on my right hand.

i only ever tip my own nails as i find putting in the smile line a total nightmare and i dont want people thinking thats how i do everyones nails!! but popits are really easy to do on yourself i find, otherwise its patience, sit down when you have lots of spare time!!!

Definatly leave yourself plenty of time. I've known it to take me up to 4 hours when I first started to do a set on myself (and by that time I was so fed up I left the buffing and finishing to the next day!) But having said that it now takes me half this time (with tv and baby inturrupting to be honest!)

I also start on my other hand first and something I couldn't get my head around was using my wrong hand to pick up my liquid and powder - only a small issue but now I get my bead correct with my right hand before transfering to my left to apply.

Kelly x

Popits are great for this, try them out

hi my name is kathy, i am just training and i have not heard popits mentioned yet. i know this is going to sound stupid but what are they?

x x :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back