doing nails while pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ns21

Reaction score
For those nail techs out there that are moms I have a question for you. While you were pregnant, did you do nails? I mean did you all work on clients while pregnant? I was wondering if the smell could be harmful. If you did what measures did you take to take care of yourself while pregnant and doing nails? I personally stopped doing nails all together around my 3rd month. Luckly I am also a hair dresser so I keep on doing hair throughout my pregnancy. But recently I have thought of given up doing hair all together and sticking to doing what I love to do the most is nails. I still want to have more children in the future and I was wondering if doing nails with be harmful. Any advice or comments would be helpful.

Nidia

ns21 said:
For those nail techs out there that are moms I have a question for you. While you were pregnant, did you do nails? I mean did you all work on clients while pregnant? I was wondering if the smell could be harmful. If you did what measures did you take to take care of yourself while pregnant and doing nails? I personally stopped doing nails all together around my 3rd month. Luckly I am also a hair dresser so I keep on doing hair throughout my pregnancy. But recently I have thought of given up doing hair all together and sticking to doing what I love to do the most is nails. I still want to have more children in the future and I was wondering if doing nails with be harmful. Any advice or comments would be helpful.

Nidia

NIdia .... please put your fears to rest on this subject.

WE have talked about it before and the questions have been asked for years as most nail technicians are women and the majority of women want to have babies at some time.

NAIL PRODUCTS ARE PERFECTLY SAFE TO WORK WITH AT ANY TIME IF YOU FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES.

One of those recommended guidelines for ALL products is adequate ventilllation.
There is NO evidence that doing nails will hurt your baby or harm you. And after 25 years or so, that mostly women have been working with nail products, I think that is a great record.

Tranquilla!

I have worked as a nail tech and trainer through all 3 of my pregnancies without any problems. I taught a nail art class six days overdue with Jake, did airbrush demos at a tradeshow 10 days overdue with Charlie, and fitted a set of nails 12 days overdue with Ben! My kids, like me, are never on time!

As gigi says, take care, good ventilation, be aware of COSHH, take regular breaks and wear comfy shoes!

I wrote an article for Nails mag about working in Pregnancy, i can send it to you if it helps?

Hi chocolate.
I am ten weeks pregnant with my third child. and my older girls are 13 and 10 so i wasnt doing nails then. I had a miscarriage last year so i am trying to be extra cautious - so could you send me a copy of your article many thanks

Congratulations! The 3rd child is hard work but lots of fun, my 2 older ones think they have a walking toy dolly! Being a working mum is hard but i love my job and i love my kids, so we muddle through together.

Just PM me your address, and anyone else that wants it, and i will pop it in the post for you.

There is a technote in my articles section on this subject from Doug Schoon.

Get there via Site Stuff->Articles or just click [thread=3010]here[/thread].

Hi Nidia

I had my third baby lat summer, and worked through the whole pregnancy doing at least 50 hours a week, to start my business up!!
The day before Libby was born, I was putting up certificates on the wall, by standing on the sofa...(I feel putting those certificates up was probably the most dangerous thing I did whilst pregnant!! not doing nails!!!)
My baby was born heallthy and with a fabulous disposition!! So there you go... NO HARM DONE....
If you wear a mask as an extra precaution, and as already said, wear comfy shoes.... I also think it is a good idea not to cram in your appointments as I did find I worked slower, especially during the last month, when my back was a little more painful....
I thoroughly enjoyed doing nails whilst pregnant, and got lts of attention from my clients.... (Not doing it again just for the attention though!!)

Sue
ns21 said:

Nidia

The cards and pressies you get from clients when the babba is born is well worth the extra effort, my home looked like a florist and a card shop combined! :biggrin:

How strange!! I came on this site specifically to ask the same question...am 10 weeks today with my first long awaited babe. Have deliberately not put on my nails as I was worried about the chemicals in the liquid/powder, but now I'm off to put them all on again.

Thing is, in the first few weeks you feel so fat/nauseous/worn out that the only thing that keeps you feeling nice is your nails. Have missed them over the past 10 weeks :sad:

Thanks for the great advice girls!!!

Traydicko said:
How strange!! I came on this site specifically to ask the same question...am 10 weeks today with my first long awaited babe. Have deliberately not put on my nails as I was worried about the chemicals in the liquid/powder, but now I'm off to put them all on again.

Thing is, in the first few weeks you feel so fat/nauseous/worn out that the only thing that keeps you feeling nice is your nails. Have missed them over the past 10 weeks :sad:

Thanks for the great advice girls!!!

Well worry not! and congratulations too!

No nail chemicals can possibly enter your blood stream through the nail plate which is non living material. WEaring or doing nails will not harm your baby.

Thank you all very much for your responses. Now I can open up a salon that exclusively caters to just hands and feet. I will no longer be afraid next time I want to have a baby (not any time soon my baby's only 4 months). I'll keep you all up to date on when I will open up my nail salon. I might ask you all for opinions and advice on things. That is why I love this website so much because I get to talk to nail professionals from all over the world and they know exactly what I am talking about and even how I may feel sometimes. Thanks everybody.

Nidia :)

I couldn't stand the smell whilst I was pregnant of L & P so I stuck to gel. It used to make me sick, mind you most things did actually!!

I am 27wks pregnant with my 2nd and when i first became pregnant could not even open my nail box because of the smell!!!

However i persisted!! - being mobile i did not want to lose any of my clients but went into premature labour a couple of weeks ago and was told my Doc's i was over doing it!!!!! - i must admit wheeling my tool boox around and in and out of the car - who needs the gym and weights!!!

Have to take it easy now but still sneak out and do the odd couple of sets!!!!

Di

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back