doing your own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who does your nails?

• I do them myself & they are great

Votes: 372 54.8%
  • I do them myself but I'm not proud of them

Votes: 139 20.5%
  • Another nailtech / friend / mum does them

Votes: 77 11.3%
  • I don't wear enhancements

Votes: 91 13.4%

• Total voters
I do my nails with L&P unless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ruthy is up for a w/e and then I get a great set of fabric which I am so proud to show off....................and it makes a change to sit and be pampered by ya best mate :)

Ta Babe
Loves ya Dawnie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I love doimg my own, using wrap technique, to easy to do left hand.
Problem is learining L&P & just cant do it on my right hand at mo.. :rolleyes: v frustrating as dont want to keep soaking left hand off...
Just converted my friend to wrap and she did her own L&P perfect.hey hey dead chuffed :p

I also do my own nails and they turn out great its just a matter for pratice makes perfect. Maybe if you try white tips.

I've always done my own nails. I now use the L&P which i have to say is more difficult especially when doing the right hand. I make myself do that hand first so i know when i come to do my left its a walk in the park.

I am relatively new to all this, only recently qualified in L&P, so i am curious as to what the fabric is like? Is it the fibre glass system? I must admit i would love to try this, where is the best place to buy the kit?

Thanks, i'm glad i've found this site it is so helpful and i don't feel like such a dope when i need to ask silly questions,:o

Yes it its a fibreglass based system (or you can use silk) you need to contact a one stop nail shop of designer nails they retail fabric - well worth a try - i'm sure you will be inpressed with the results - Ruth uses this and she just won 1st prize with her fabric nails....

I'm one of the lucky ones... i have a friend thats a great nail tech and we always make time for each other to have our nails done. Its nice to sit and have a chat (be the other side of the table) and just relax. We make the same appointment every 2 weeks, its great!

And if any new stuff comes out we always try it on each other first.

Vicky :)

Perfect Pinkies

I do my own nails and don't have too many problems fortunately. I use The Edge Quick Nail System which is, for those who may not have seen it, a "dip" system where you put the resin on like nail polish and dip the nail in the acrylic powder, finishing with a fixer spray. I like this system and don't seem to have much in the way of lifting. They also last very well too!!:)

I am fortunate to have very nice natural nails so I use that to my advantage and go natural. When polished most think they are enhancements due to the curves they have naturally. I also have very sensitive skin and rarely escape someone else doing them without having a shredded eponichium or very sore nail beds from ambitious filing. So natural for me and of course do my own, cheap advertising ;)

Well, i'm not really a proper nailtech, (shouldn't really be here i suppose :sad: ), and i do massage, so it's not practical for me to have long nails at all. Mine are very short. I sometimes wish it was possible to have long nails for a change *sigh*
As to why i am here - it is the only site i have come across that is for professionals who work within the health and beauty industry that has a decent board. Any suggestions for others gratefully recieved. It's nice to be able to talk about some of the joys and frustrations, even if we only have some things in common.

I'm still training to be a nail tech, and i'm studying with Essential Nails, witch is a home learn course. I did a few sets on the nail trainer and then decided to have a go on my own nails... Well it was a painful experience, it took me 6 hours to complete my nails... :cry: After all they were the first i did on real people, and myself of all people. They didn't turn out bad, but had serious lifting after a while. I couldn't soak them off 'cause i use gel, so i had to file it off and then reaplied the product. I used a diferent brand (Akzentz) and this time it took me less time and it looks a lot better, even thow the smile line wasn't perfect, i applied a very soft pink polish, almost transparent, and now they look very natural, and i still haven't got any lifting at all. Only a crack, but because i got my nail caught in a door. :rolleyes: Hopefuly with time i can do this faster ;)

Been doing my own nails with liquid and powder for years and am lucky to say I find it easy enough...that's how my passion for nails began :)

I have lovely natural nails... until I break/bite one!! Thats when I apply l&p to make them all the same length so that I can paint them up!
Evey now and again though, when the stress gets too much and I bite a few of them, I do them all with l&p. I find it to be good advertisement for myself when my nails look good, especially when I airbrush them.

I used to detest doing my own especially with L&P, i persevered and did them. Then i discovered Fibreglass which i find so easy to do on my nails so i do that at the moment. Just switched to EZ Flow products and have found i can finally produce nails to be proud of. So sometimes you need to try other systems as it can make all the difference.:)

I have always used L&P and have developed my skills of doing my own over the years, however this can still take me a while and im so fussy im never totally happy happy with em, although to others they look great i would still prefer them to be better... lol

I am now in search for a system that does not take as long with the same if not better results, so will be giving fabric a try shortly and am looking to try the Extream dipping powders, the whole thing just facinates me...

I don't wear enhancements any longer. I used to do my own pink and white sculpts for a looong time, and I did them very well. Perfect smile lines and all. I have to say it was a grueling 2 hours of work!! LOL! I'd be sore and tired by the time I was done, and NEVER felt like doing the fills. So taking the advice of Vicki Peters, I decided to find another awesome nail tech to do my nails. What a relief!! It's so much nicer to sit on the other side of that table, and be the one pampered for a change! I too am very picky, but I learned that if you go to a nail tech who is known for outstanding work, and just relax and keep your mouth closed....lol...you enjoy the experience much better. Two years ago, I decided that I no longer wanted to wear enhancements, and instead take care of my own natural nails. So I have been manicuring, (or letting my co-worker) manicure them ever since.

if the Geek does them, they are always gorgeous but we always end up arguing [/QUOTE]

and there was me thinking how great it would be if my hubby good do nails as well as GMG!! guess not then.......lol

I just do my index and thumbs as there constantly wearing away, and yes i've tried all the lotions and potions (flexi wrap etc..) but left handedness what can I say!!

My Creative Educator (Kelly in Aberdeen) does mine!!! I did do my own but watching Kelly means i get a lesson at the same time as having my nails done! A cheaper way to get a one to one session with your educator!!!

Kirsten x

OK I know this is cheating but NSI have 'fin' tips that create perfect smile lines and make doing your right hand a dawdle.....works great with your choice of white, coloured acrylic or gel and glitters as well.

My mum does mine, as we have both just done the fcnc and find it a good excuse to practise on each other:D

Latest posts

Back