doing your own nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who does your nails?

• I do them myself & they are great

Votes: 372 54.8%
  • I do them myself but I'm not proud of them

Votes: 139 20.5%
  • Another nailtech / friend / mum does them

Votes: 77 11.3%
  • I don't wear enhancements

Votes: 91 13.4%

• Total voters
Hey,

I have been doing my own nails for the last 8 years using either fibreglass or silk (mainly silk), i have many friends in the nail and beauty industry but never wanted anyone else to do them as I am too fussy about how I like them to look!!

Although, last week a friend of mine came over to have her nails done....my boyfriend, who is a policeman (and not the sort of person you would look at and think 'hey, he looks like the kinda guy who does his girlfriends nails when he gets home from work!!!!!'), kinda watched what i was doing (whilst sinking a bottle of red wine!) - when she left he decided he thought it was the easiest thing in the world to do so i challenged him to do my nails!!!

We made a deal that we would do a hand each.....i did one hand first so he could watch again then he had a go with the other hand! Even though the time he took to do one hand was like modern day torture, he took sooooooooooo long! he actually did a really good job! I'm still undecided whether or not I would let him do them again though!!!!

Jenn xx

I just got finished doing myself a set about an hour and a half ago. I've been doing my own nails since I was 14, however, I found that I have a harder time doing my nails than I do doing someone else's...Can't wait to get some more toys!!!

I am halfway through doing mine this weekend (l and p).....left hand is done and now for the right hand (am right handed). I am a beginner so this is a challenge! Oh but I do love pretty nails tho!:) Sisi xxx

In real life I'm a PA, like swimming and gardening and run a Guide Unit - and have a number of regular clients in the evenings and on saturdays/sundays (working mobile). I do my own nails as the only time I usually have free is late in the evening and usually only have time for one hand before falling asleep. However all my customers (expect my mum & my sister) are people who have seen me wearing my nails and asked me where I have had them done. I once went to a salon to have my nails done and hated it! I assume I went to the wrong one!

I have been doing my own l&p for nearly 4 years now. I did the Creative foundation in September last year then attempted doing them on others.. Which I found more difficult than doing them on myself! LOL!

I have never had a problem doing my right hand, but since learning p&w l&p I have noticed that cos of smile lines that my right hand is not AS good, but not too bad either.

:( I don't wear any enhancements I bite my nails its disgusting I know but I can't help it. Ive tried to keep Nails on but I cant stand wearing them.
Maybe when I have less stress ill stop biting.
:)

Ruby

Ruby said:
:( I don't wear any enhancements I bite my nails its disgusting I know but I can't help it. Ive tried to keep Nails on but I cant stand wearing them.
Maybe when I have less stress ill stop biting. Ruby

better get 'em on Ruby... (do them really short and meticulously neat so they look totally real - they won't bug you so much) - you are what you preach! If I were your client I would look at your nails and think hmmmmmm :rolleyes: is that what mine will look like? If nail enhancements are so cool why isn't Ruby wearing them?

Oh I know and understand what you have said... just thought I'd be the whispering voice of reason in your head! :hug:

Sisi said:
I am halfway through doing mine this weekend (l and p).....left hand is done and now for the right hand (am right handed). I am a beginner so this is a challenge! Oh but I do love pretty nails tho!:) Sisi xxx

That's me at the mo... have time for everyone else, but me I have one hand on and one hand off.

So, why do I love doing nails on other people but loath doing my own??!! :confused: I've got one ruby thumb where I mixed a small amount to try it and see if I liked it.... I love it and plan to do my other 9 fingers, but that was over 2 weeks ago.....!!

I like the sound of fabric# - if I were to buy a trial kit could I work out how to do it without any training? (I'm trained by Creative in l+p) Can you only do p&w in fabric#?

Any opinions gratefully received....

Yvette
x

I have always done my own nails because I SO picky. An employee of me tried to o my nails once, but I grabbed the file before she had began, it was SO scary...:-D

Cec.

ella said:
does anyone have any good ideas to help when doing your own nails. My left hand is OK - reasonable smile lines. The right is less than perfect. Not to the point of painting over them, but not good enough for me. We are so busy that to do each others is not really an option.

My side walls are very deep which is making things more difficult - if it were a client I could hold them out of the way when needed, but the fact that I am not an octopus precludes me from doing this on myself.

Any ideas??
[hotnails]have you tried leaning your wrist on something to steady it,i find that helps me,im left handed,and get this all the time!

Yes I do my own too, and have done ever since I became a tech. The only problem is trying to find the time i guess. I always end up on the lounge floor at the coffee table, Brisa lamp plugged in and all the kit around me, while watching TV.

It often takes hours as in between I have to muscle up chicken nuggets and chips, start an evening meal, put Brett in the bath, get his jammies on and open a bottle of vin rouge.......Now they know why we call ourselves "multi functional"!!!! All that and a perfect Brisa french......and sometimes toes too.....by then bottle 2 is opened. :lol:

The only tips I have to those attempting their "other" hand is:
-Move your hand that you are working on and not the brush, this keeps your brush stable and you get better control as you are more comfortable with the actions of manouvering your "writing" hand.
-Use a white block buffer as a finger rest for the finger you are working on,
- and if you need to get into those sidewalls...by pressing the finger down onto your surface and turning it from left to right you can get those walls down as if pinching the skin underneath. :)

Isnt it such a lovely feeling when you are asked "who does your nails they are fab" and you can "ME"

Good luck,
Marslie

Read an article just recently in either nailpro or nails magazine about doing your own nails and they suggested doing some simple things to try and improve the co ordination of your other hand like righting your name with both hands at the same time or throwing a ball over arm and under arm at the same time supposed to train the other side of your brain. I've been trying it and I have found my left hand(I'm right handed) has become much steadier.I was rather impressed with myself at being able to right my name with both hands at the same time(a very useful skill my husband informs me:rolleyes:)
Sam

i have selected that my friend who is a nail tech does them but i do them too sometimes.

i have just done white tips and clear l&p and i am really happy with these ones.:)

i do my own nails and a bit of practice and it isnt so bad...i use back scratchers fiberglass and u can by the fiber glass i pre shaped form to fit nicely around your cuticles which is easy and is such a good advert to have nice nails good luck! x

I do my own nails although i would like someone else to do them once in a while just to be pampered lol, I always think my nails look just OK im just so picky with my own work but when i do my clients i love them but not my own lol xxxxxxx

Hi,
I do my own nails but do not enjoy doing so but even when somone has done them for me I am very critical and tend to get the file out.its mainly do to them not finishing them off properly.
From julie

I have always done my own.....I'm to picky for anyone eles....but I do have to say I like them at first but I REALLY like them best when I do the fill 2 weeks later ...weird I know....

Practise make perfect evry time youdo your nails you will get better and what better advertisment then when some one ask you who does your nails they are great and you say i do. well people look at it that is yoru nails look that great and you did them then if she does mine they will look great too i want here to so my nails. that is at least what i am being told.

I'm still getting there :lol: much better than when I first started but doing my right hand is still the bug bear:lol:

Latest posts

Back