Domain name help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suntan

Reaction score
Hi.. so recently I’ve decided to set up and work for myself. At this point am in search for premise to rent.
Would also like to secure my domain name but it seems co.uk for my business name is taken but is available with .london. The other suggestions that are free I don’t like as have to put extra letters or hyphen.
Is .london any good for the businesses, I mean would it appeal more to the clients, put you in better position as a business or not necessarily? I’m clueless

As a web guy, these new TLD extensions such as .london a lot of people don't understand. Be prepared for people to type yourdomain.london.co.uk and go nowhere as they just aren't commonly used enough for the general public.

Honestly, if your name is taking maybe it's 1. either too generic or 2. consider adding a dash or something.

If you want to tell us what domain you wanted I can give you some suggestions :)

Also, my recommendation is to buy it with Namecheap.com :)

As a web guy, these new TLD extensions such as .london a lot of people don't understand. Be prepared for people to type yourdomain.london.co.uk and go nowhere as they just aren't commonly used enough for the general public.

Honestly, if your name is taking maybe it's 1. either too generic or 2. consider adding a dash or something.

If you want to tell us what domain you wanted I can give you some suggestions :)

Also, my recommendation is to buy it with Namecheap.com :)

Thank you for your input, it’s really made it easy to decide against.london. I’d be lost myself with using it ..hehe

Well I found out my first choice I really liked was actually trademark so had to give up on that one. Second choice is ‘paragon beauty’( too generic I know) but it’s actually available if I add a dash as well as ‘the paragon beauty’ or ‘paragonbeauty.online’
.com is waaayyyy out of my price range as I’m starting small
I’ll most probably will be adding a dash and hey presto it’s secure ;)
Thank you once again :)

Paragonbeautylondon.co.uk is available :) touch on long side but easier to remember than a dash.

Paragonbeautylondon.co.uk is available :) touch on long side but easier to remember than a dash.

Thank you for your post..didn’t see it til now
I was doing a bit of research and I read some article saying that you don’t necessarily have to choose your business name for your domain, is that right?
If that’s the case, I’m thinking urbeautyhub.com, mebeautyhub.com or ourbeautyhub.com, they’re all available. Do you think ‘ur’ as a replacement of ‘your’ would be wrong choice?
Thanks for reading! :)

Thank you for your post..didn’t see it til now
I was doing a bit of research and I read some article saying that you don’t necessarily have to choose your business name for your domain, is that right?
If that’s the case, I’m thinking urbeautyhub.com, mebeautyhub.com or ourbeautyhub.com, they’re all available. Do you think ‘ur’ as a replacement of ‘your’ would be wrong choice?
Thanks for reading! :)

No, nothing officially says you need to choose your business name but it's a bit silly not to as when people google your business name, you want them to find you. Also if the domain says one thing but the website another, it's going to be confusing for the user.

I wouldn't use 'ur' in replace of 'your'.

Hi, BannerPenguin :)

You’re right, that makes sense
I’m really hopeless when it comes to this but couple of things I learned is that it’s best to have .com if possible and that the shorter the better without punctuations.

It’s just so hard as the ones that ARE available are similar but not exact! For example if I name my business ‘paragon beauty’ the available domain would be THEparagaonbeauty.com so that would still be a bit confusing for clients or maybe not?

There’s also some combinations I like that are still available paragonbeautyuk.com or paragonsalon.co.uk( assuming I choose ‘paragon salon’ as biz name)
I did ‘try’ to buy one so that i had an idea how it worked( yes, a complete newbie! :p) and there were options for domain privacy and protection, basic cover or ultimate domain protect& security)
Would it be best to go for the ultimate or would basic cover be just as adequate to protect my domain?
I’d be interested to know your thoughts

Thanks for reading through and sorry for the very long post :)

Hi, BannerPenguin :)

You’re right, that makes sense
I’m really hopeless when it comes to this but couple of things I learned is that it’s best to have .com if possible and that the shorter the better without punctuations.

It’s just so hard as the ones that ARE available are similar but not exact! For example if I name my business ‘paragon beauty’ the available domain would be THEparagaonbeauty.com so that would still be a bit confusing for clients or maybe not?

There’s also some combinations I like that are still available paragonbeautyuk.com or paragonsalon.co.uk( assuming I choose ‘paragon salon’ as biz name)
I did ‘try’ to buy one so that i had an idea how it worked( yes, a complete newbie! :p) and there were options for domain privacy and protection, basic cover or ultimate domain protect& security)
Would it be best to go for the ultimate or would basic cover be just as adequate to protect my domain?
I’d be interested to know your thoughts

Thanks for reading through and sorry for the very long post :)
Sorry to disagree - don't shoot me! - but you want the .co.uk if you're a UK local business. The .com is worthwhile if you're serving international clients but if you aren't then you want .co.uk. It's also better for google if you're a UK local business.

Shorter is better though, you're right.

I wouldn't get too caught in the woods with it.

paragonsalon.co.uk is fine or as I previously suggested - paragonbeautylondon.co.uk is perfectly adequate.

You don't need to buy any of the upsells, security, privacy, protection etc. etc. Stick with whatever is free (if anything). Namecheap.co.uk includes what you need for free.

Hi,
Bought the one suggested, one thing off my long to do list
You’ve been a real help so thank you :)

Latest posts

Back