Don’t know what to do with highlights complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorridHenry

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
One of my clients texted me today with a complaint that I destroyed her hair and I completely don’t know how to react, because something like this happened to me first time.

I’ve done her hair first time 4 months ago, she had few highlights in already, but wanted to go blonder, so we’ve done half head highlights through the whole length ( didn’t touch the bottom half, because she liked it dark). She was very happy with the colour.
She had her roots done after 3 months (3 weeks ago) and I’ve done exactly the same thing on the roots like previously (L’Oréal bleach + 20vol, beige highlift + 30 vol). Just the regrowth + maybe 1cm to connect the colours. Again just half head, bottom half untouched. She said she thought it’s a bit blonde this time, but I suggested it just might be first impression after having her roots covered.
Today she texted me and sent me the picture of her hair (3 weeks after the appointment). She said, that she’s very unhappy, her hair was burned and snapped and I’ve asked her to come in for a chat when we reopen.
I don’t know how to react in this situation. I’m completely sure, that the ends couldn’t snap if I’ve done just the roots. Also the bottom half looks like it’s completely broken, although I never touched it. I’ve asked if she had any other treatments done, she said no. Any ideas how should react or what to offer on the consultation?

Attachments

• 55A54DA4-D72E-4ACC-B81B-751B6E3A3B8D.jpeg
    55A54DA4-D72E-4ACC-B81B-751B6E3A3B8D.jpeg
    832.7 KB · Views: 247
Ok, let’s consider this situation logically.

Looking at the attached picture, it looks very dry and is breaking off from the mid lengths downwards. If it was genuinely breaking off after you’d highlighted it, why leave it 3 weeks before complaining?

If you’ve only been highlighting the roots down to mid-lengths, then it’s impossible for you to have caused that amount of damage as it’s too low down.

The two most likely causes of such extreme breakage in my view are:

1. she decided she wanted it a bit darker so chucked one or two box dyes on it. Unfortunately, box dyes are standard mixes usually containing 30vol developer and overlapping colour onto previously lightened hair will lead to hair breaking and splitting, unsurprisingly.

2. The other possibility is that she’s burnt it by using straighteners set on too high a temperature. You shouldn’t have them set at anything over 200°c and ideally 180°c.

When she comes in, I’d quiz her very thoroughly about what her hair care regimen has been and then point out that you only highlighted the roots and it was in good condition when she left you 3 weeks ago.

If she admits to causing the damage herself and is remorseful, I might offer a deep conditioning treatment with her next service at a slightly reduced rate but I wouldn’t offer any refund because you’ve not caused the problem.

Thank you for your reply :)
This is what I thought when she texted me, I didn’t see any chemical damage when I was blow drying and I guess it would be there already if something would go wrong.
She mentioned that she had to stop having highlights previously (years ago), because her hair was very damaged, I guess she probably doesn’t look after it.
I just needed a reassurance, you begin to doubt yourself when something like this happens.

Also remember that if you keep doing half head with the same formula, it will keep looking lighter each time, even although you are only doing roots, as each time you are still adding more blonde, so at some point you may need to put some low lights through, to break up the blonde. You need to explain to her, as she will no doubt feel it a bit darker initially.

Latest posts

Back