Donating treatments & vouchers to charity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Do you get any new clients from this ? Do the vouchers get redeemed ?

I have been asked to donate to a few raffles and charity events and Im wondering if id get much business from it ?

I have donated products to charities/organisations that are close to me and not really considered the advertising potential as Ive done it purely for goodwill but the latest ones that have approached me aren't something I would normally donate to.

I've done a few but none ever came back lol. I'm almost offended!

If a regular client asks me to help them out with a charity thing I will, cuz I'd rather do it or them than jut anyone, but I wouldn't really bother otherwise.

I have been asked by one friend and have offered to another , so will be waiting to see if any thing comes of it too.

I will offer a Shellac Manicure worth £25 to both . Is that roughly what others do ?

I always do spray tan vouchers, because it's high value to them but quick time for me. I don't want long appointments booked out which arent being paid for. I barely have a heart as it is, I can't be too generous lol. :green:

I was thinking a file and polish !

I agree I don't want to be to generous and have every man and his dog asking for a donation :lol:

I shot myself in the foot last time by giving some dermalogica products worth abut £40 and forgot to put in any business details, not even a card. Zero promotion for me !

I was thinking a file and polish !
:idea: The other reason I offer tans is that I always think spray tans are more noticable to the clients peers, so you may get future bookings from their recommendation. A shape and polish may get a little bit unnoticed.

I always do spray tan vouchers, because it's high value to them but quick time for me. I don't want long appointments booked out which arent being paid for. I barely have a heart as it is, I can't be too generous lol. :green:

That's what I do, in and out. I only give to animal charities and the local school.

That's what I do, in and out. I only give to animal charities and the local school.

I don't really have any charitys that are close to my icey little heart, lol. But if a client tells me about something that they deal with thats affected them, I'm more than happy to offer support to them.

I have one client that does alot for Cancer research, her step dad suffered cancer for years and years and he finally passed away last year. So I always give her something for her events. Because she works so hard at it. However, her last event I gave her 3 vouchers, for £10 or £15 each I think, but none were redeemed lol.

I've donated vouchers a few times. Sometimes I put a certain treatment on but mainly I do an amount and then they can choose themselves what they want. I've gained a few clients this way although not all of them get redeemed.
I donate to our local carnival too. I usually donate a £50 voucher but I do get free advertising from this as it's always in the local paper.

The 2 charities i am donating the gift certificates to are Isobel Hospice as they took care of one of the local mums at the kiddies school, the other is muliple sclerosis .
Am I naive in giving a Shellac mani then?? Would it be more prudent to give them 20% off instead?

I am still new to this business. I was planning to attach my card to the certificates !.....

I think if its a prize it has to be something completely free of charge to them. So by giving a 20% off voucher means they have to spend something to use it, so its not really a prize.

What you could do is offer a shape and polish free of charge, but with the option to upgrade it to shellac for £x.

But, that said, it's your business and you must make the decisions to suit you.

hi there,

i work close to a couple of charities and was asked to donate some vouchers. i did and it ended up costing me more money than i thought (i'm mobile). the first one i did i offered a basic manicure and ended up driving 9 miles to the booking, the lady had never had her nails done before and didn't rebook. she actually tried to get me to do shellac for free.

after that i offered the vouchers for a basic mani or pedi but said that minx, shellac etc would incur a small fee.

i think sometimes its easier to make a small donation x

lol xx really?!

You, Jaquelineanna-troublemaker, are going to get us into trouble for deviating from the original post. :lol:

Whoops .. sorry mods .. leaving this thread right now.

But that did make me laugh K.L. xx

I think if its a prize it has to be something completely free of charge to them. So by giving a 20% off voucher means they have to spend something to use it, so its not really a prize.

What you could do is offer a shape and polish free of charge, but with the option to upgrade it to shellac for £x.

But, that said, it's your business and you must make the decisions to suit you.
Yes you are right, they are going to be raffled off!

Ok so not a Shellac then , just a basic mani with Polish, and if they do book , i could offer them an upgrade to Shellac for £10 say ?
Having said that , they are both going to be very local to me, with lots of local ladies attending and I need to promote my business locally.
Maybe I should take the risk and just give them a basic Shellac with file only ?

Sorry Bombini for hijacking your thread. :eek:

Hi - I have donated treatment vouchers several times and find that a) people book but then don't turn up, or b) they come and aren't really 'salon-types' so don't re-book.
If I am asked for a raffle donation now, I offer a session for 3-4 people on 'Reflexology-its benefit & effects' I then do a 20 minute chat and a demo treatment and at the end offer vouchers for £10.00 off a treatment. This way I tend to get 2-3 people who book an appointment and remain regular clients.

I always donate to either of my children's school & a few local charities, I do a voucher for £15 & include my full pricelist & a couple of cards so the voucher can be used against any treatment I offer, my basic mani & pedi's are £15 so the winner can have a free treatment or one at a reduced cost

I give vouchers to charity because I want to help the charity out. If I get some business from it then that's a bonus.
This is not a business decision for me, it's a personal decision.
A lot of my local charities will auction off the voucher and sometimes, if they are very lucky, they may even get more than the face value.
If you are donating vouchers to charity though, don't be disappointed if you are not getting something out of it. You can choose whether to donate or not. The whole point is to help the charity.
If you start thinking that you are not getting anything out of it then maybe you should invest the money elsewhere.

I have printed a gift certificate for £25 for a mini mani with Shellac, lets see what happens . I will attach a card and flyer , and see what happens.
As Angelina say's it is for a good cause.

Latest posts

Back