Donating treatments & vouchers to charity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:idea: The other reason I offer tans is that I always think spray tans are more noticable to the clients peers, so you may get future bookings from their recommendation. A shape and polish may get a little bit unnoticed.

I don't offer spray tans otherwise I would :green:

I give vouchers to charity because I want to help the charity out. If I get some business from it then that's a bonus.
This is not a business decision for me, it's a personal decision.
A lot of my local charities will auction off the voucher and sometimes, if they are very lucky, they may even get more than the face value.
If you are donating vouchers to charity though, don't be disappointed if you are not getting something out of it. You can choose whether to donate or not. The whole point is to help the charity.
If you start thinking that you are not getting anything out of it then maybe you should invest the money elsewhere.

Totally agree about the point of helping the charity which I do for the ones that I support, but the ones that have approached me are not the sort I would normally donate to as they are very big charities (I like the smaller ones).

Thanks everyone for your replies :hug:

BUMP!

I have been asked to donate a raffle prize for a charity. This will be my first so need some advice on how to do this right.

So far I have come up with,

1) Offering a Shellac or Gelish manicure rather than an amount for the prize.

2)Including cards and price list, should I make some flyers for people to pick up from the raffle table, or is that cheeky? Should I keep all this just for the prize winner?

3) Do I need T&C's, such as a time frame?

4) Do you use your normal gift certs for these prizes, or do you make a special one?

Sorry, for all the questions. I just want to be clear on what I need to take into account before steaming in and saying yes (although I am going to say yes!).

Thanks Geeks :)

BUMP!

I have been asked to donate a raffle prize for a charity. This will be my first so need some advice on how to do this right.

2)Including cards and price list, should I make some flyers for people to pick up from the raffle table, or is that cheeky? Should I keep all this just for the prize winner?

4) Do you use your normal gift certs for these prizes, or do you make a special one?

Sorry, for all the questions. I just want to be clear on what I need to take into account before steaming in and saying yes (although I am going to say yes!).

I adapted my vouchers to say shellac mani or pedi instead of the price. I put my card in with it too. I dont put price list in. I've given away 5 in past year and no one has redeemed them. I put a 6 month time limit on them too xx

xxx

BUMP!

I offer a manicure for you & a friend - they are very popular and you get to say the treatment voucher is worth so much money but to you the cost is minimal. I wouldn't offer a shellac mani/pedi unless it was a very important charity to me. Not everybody wants it and I feel there is still an element of purchase as they either have to pay you to remove OR they rip it off themselves and then go on to tell people eh had it once but it ruined their nails. The purpose of mani for you & a friend is doubling your marketing opportunity, who doesn't want polish on, and it's fairly cheap once you have costed your travel.

Yes leave lots of leaflets - why not? It's not cheeky! Yes you need ts & cs such as a time frame. Yes I use normal certs Xx

I only donate to charity when I want and have so far not been approached by anyone asking for a donation but if I was and it wasn't a charity that I wanted to donate to I would decline by saying I already support several charities and unfortunately won't be able to donate to any more at this time.

When I donate I always give spray tan vouchers (as they are quick treatment) and I have a specific voucher design for those charity donations. I always give 6 months time limit and have had all bar 1 voucher be redeemed. That 1 voucher did contact me but wanted a tan the next evening (a Fri) and I was fully booked so could not do it and then they didn't bother to try and rebook again before the voucher expired. I do NOT extend the time limit on these vouchers because they are freely given by me and no-body is losing money by not redeeming them.

If I donate a voucher I usually do a £10/£15 one because then people can decide what they want to put it towards and you still might make a bit. I also have terms and conditions on the back saying that it can only be redeamed in areas that I cover and no change will be given. I've donated a few and only had 2 book in, one rebooked and another booked some friends in as well so it was worth it for me

I offer a manicure for you & a friend - they are very popular and you get to say the treatment voucher is worth so much money but to you the cost is minimal. I wouldn't offer a shellac mani/pedi unless it was a very important charity to me. Not everybody wants it and I feel there is still an element of purchase as they either have to pay you to remove OR they rip it off themselves and then go on to tell people eh had it once but it ruined their nails. The purpose of mani for you & a friend is doubling your marketing opportunity, who doesn't want polish on, and it's fairly cheap once you have costed your travel.

Yes leave lots of leaflets - why not? It's not cheeky! Yes you need ts & cs such as a time frame. Yes I use normal certs Xx

I hear you on the normal manicure v's Shellac/Gelish. It's great to be able to think these things through with all of you.

I really like your idea of doubling the marketing too.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts. I will use a normal cert and write it in, with a time frame of six months. I will also add my T&C's about not redeemable for cash etc.

I've donated 3 vouchers so far either for a spray tan or Shellac manicure (in the hope they come back) but none of the vouchers have ever been redeemed! Not quite sure why people don't take them??

Latest posts

Back