Done eyebrow tints in college and seen no change?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

Last night in college we were taught eyebrow tinting with the brown tint, we had a go as usual and to be honest everyone who had it done I could not see the difference and was thinking if i was paying for the service i would be dissapointed as no change?? The tutor told us to apply the tint to the eyebrow and by time we had applied it to wipe it straight off and not even leave it for a min or so as the eyebrows take it very quickly, now i guess the tint was on 1 to 2 mins max is this the reason i could not see any change on anyone??? she did say we could then apply the tint once more in the same way to get a deeper colour which we did not

Is it me or are we not to see any difference as it would look odd, but why pay for a tint if no one can tell? she did say some clients may ask for black and would be very dark and she did not recommend it? If we had left it on a little longer would a better result be achieved or would it end up looking odd?

:o:o:o

cheers

Yes, eyebrows tint very quickly. I was trained to leave the tint on for approx 2 mins & wipe off, re-apply again if not dark enough, using brown.
I find, usually by the 2nd application, you can tell.
I never use black, unless it's for a client with black hair - not had one of those in 2 1/2 yrs.

I do use black & blue black for lash tints though.

nenee, the only thing that i could think of is that maybe the tints are a bit old? or the oxidant has gone off? its recommended to replace the tints every year, possibly you had an old batch?? all the tints that i have done in the salon and on myself have been very effective...and in some cases a wee bit TOO effective!

i am blonde and just wanted a light brown shade to add definition to my eyebrows, anyway the poor girl left it on for 10 mins getting mixed up with EYELASHES...needless to say my eyebrows were almost BLACK!! so the morale of the story....don't leave it on TOO long! just long enough!! check with your college nenee hth xx

I leave the tint on the brows for approx 2 mins wipe off then ask the client to check if they want it darker, if so I then re-apply.

I do have a few clients that have black tint on their brows but they have very very dark hair. I also have a few clients that have brown with a little black added to the tint mixture as they want a slightly darker brown than the brown tint on its own. I did see somebody who had tinted their brows and left the tint on for 10 minutes :eek: This was definitely a case somebody doing the treatment when they are NOT trained and qualified - they looked awful for weeks!.

Can I ask - what colour were the brows you tinted?

Thanks guys

I think i will try doing it as taught leave for min or so then do a second for more colour, better to do in stages than too dark!:)

cheers

Hi my fellow student had very dark hair and i used the brown and only only for less than a min, also other students hair colour varied and not much change as used the brown and not on very long and only the once, there was a fair headed student who had the brown and it did darken a little and looked nice, so i guess build it up is the better way, il try that next time do it for a min or so then ask the client and do it again if they want it darker
:)

I think that what we have to appreciate is that the colour we are putting on needs to be darker than the natural hair colour or you will not see any change. I think this may have been the issue at your college by the sounds of things.

Maybe the teacher just wanted to show you a demo rather than the finished result as some of the class may have objected to darker eyebrows. Some eyebrows take the tint instantly and left on for more than a few seconds they turn really dark.

I put the tint on both then immediately wipe it of to see if it has already been taken up. I repeat this for blond brows until they are the required shade. A minute on blond brows can make them very dark. I only leave it on for a minute on darker brows and top up as needed. I find every time you reapply the tint becomes darker as it develops in the dish.

Just use your judgement but I think your teacher was trying to get the point across that less is more. :hug:

I only leave for about a minute or so and then remove and reapply if necessary.Some eyebrows take the colour very quickly and it can be a bit of a shock if they become very dark especially the first time on blond or redheads.
If a tint stops working completely it is often the tint or peroxide is out of date or been left open slightly.

When I was taught we were told to leave eyebrow tint on no longer than 30 seconds ie do one eyebrow and by the time you have done the second the first is ready to be removed.

In reality though 30 secons is nowhere near long enough and I tend to leave on for 90 secs to 2 minutes to see any difference. Then if need be I will re-tint but not leave on as long the second time.

|Thanks really good sound advice, feel more confident now!
cheers for your help
:hug::)

I have dark eyelashes and tinting does nothing for them. Even using blue black it doesn't make a difference.

If you already have eyebrows as dark as the tint you're using then you won't see any obvious change. I've only tinted eyebrows that were fair or very light brown so there was an obvious change.

THis is what I do:

apply the tint as I was shown at college, leave it whilst I do the other side

approx 45 seconds

return to the first eyebrow and wipe off

do the same to the second 45 secs. later

Ask the client if it is dark enough

Usually I'd do the whole process twice to get the desired colour

Hope this helpsxxx

thank you will try that in college this week
cheers:hug:

Hi there

Last night in college we were taught eyebrow tinting with the brown tint, we had a go as usual and to be honest everyone who had it done I could not see the difference and was thinking if i was paying for the service i would be dissapointed as no change?? The tutor told us to apply the tint to the eyebrow and by time we had applied it to wipe it straight off and not even leave it for a min or so as the eyebrows take it very quickly, now i guess the tint was on 1 to 2 mins max is this the reason i could not see any change on anyone??? she did say we could then apply the tint once more in the same way to get a deeper colour which we did not

Is it me or are we not to see any difference as it would look odd, but why pay for a tint if no one can tell? she did say some clients may ask for black and would be very dark and she did not recommend it? If we had left it on a little longer would a better result be achieved or would it end up looking odd?

:o:o:o

cheers

Hi
You don't leave it on for as long as you have a blood supply that runs under the eyebrows heating the area which means the tint takes alot quicker.
If you are working on a blond client you would use Brown & put it on & take it straight off , show the client if they would like them darker put it straight back on & repeat. (to someone who has very fair brow's they only want a touch of colour, if they went from blond to brown it would be a shock & they probably wouldn't be happy) for brown hair clients I would use brown & black tint mixed together this gives you a better colour. & for really adrk to black hair use black.

As with everything you start off light & can build on the colour.

You can always go darker but can't go lighter.

I hope this helps

Carla

I put the tint on and almost immediately wipe of a tiny section using a cotton bud. Staight away I either replace the tint I removed or remove all the tint. That way I can track how the tint is taking.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but to add a little humour ........ I tinted a friends eyelashes and brows yesterday with the intention of tinting the lashes blue/black and the brows brown/black. Accidentally moved on to the brows with the blue/black :eek: and the colour took (1 minute) before I realized what I had done :smack:.

I broke the news gently to my friend and we then proceeded into fits of hysterical laughter :lol:.

Eyebrow tint takes very quickly. Could it be that the brows had not been cleansed properly? Any grease on the hair eg. vaseline, moisturizer etc.... can prevent the tint from taking.

Thats great info thank you

xx:)

When I get my eyebrows tinted, the therapist normally leaves the tint on for about a minute or so and then wipes it off, touching parts of the brow up with more tint later if they need more colour.

I've got fair eyebrows and tend to not go much darker than my hair colour, which is light to mid brown.

Ruth

Latest posts

Back