Done my CND complete course, now what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory Love

Reaction score
Feeling so disheartened at the moment.

I'm 24, I did the CND Complete course last year which I thoroughly enjoyed but I'm stuck in a rut and lost at what to do for the best.

I've worked in retail since I was at Uni, I'm currently working full time in a job that I am so unhappy in. I've applied to salons stating I am looking for a trainee position as I have no salon experience and so far I have had a chat with a salon that slated CND to my face and spoke so unprofessionally of their previous staff that I just couldn't bare to go for the trade test they offered me and then today received a phone call regarding an apprenticeship, full time around £100 a week.
I live with my partner, my share of the bills come to just over £500 a month, the previous salon to that were offering £520 a month. I feel as though I'm never going to find something. Both salons were looking for someone to train in the beauty side of things, which I'm not opposed to but my passion lies in nails.

I don't drive, I live in a apartment complex with lots of professionals - do I keep my job and advertise solely within walking distance and see if anything comes of it, whilst learning to drive to then go mobile? This option makes me very anxious as I feel like I do need that experience along side other nail technicians first?

Should I struggle to get by and take a huge pay cut to gain the experience I need? It's tough when I feel like I should just take any opportunity given to me but on the other hand I've got to be able to live.

I haven't lived down south long, all my family and friends are 5hours drive away, I'm semi-confident with Shellac (my main model being my boyfriend..) and petrified of enhancements. I just feel not at all good enough and don't know what my next step should be...

Hoping someone can give me some guidance :sad:

It's all about confidence. Keep your chin up.
Unfortunately due to your circumstances you are quiet limited. I'd try get driving to be mobile.

How much are you hoping to earn in a salon if you managed to get a position? because they are notoriously low wages.

Bless you, find the strength :) I'm going through the same! I'd choose option 1. Do you have any family members you can practise on for free? Get a nail trainer if you haven't got one.

I'd say your next step needs to be to throw yourself into practising & getting confident. If you use a nail trainer then you don't have to risk being embarrassed in front of paying/non paying clients. Just practise doing your thing until you get really good!

Live, eat, sleep & breathe nails & soon enough people will want a slice of the action :) Best wishes x

It's all about confidence. Keep your chin up.
Unfortunately due to your circumstances you are quiet limited. I'd try get driving to be mobile.

How much are you hoping to earn in a salon if you managed to get a position? because they are notoriously low wages.

Massively lacking in confidence at the moment!

I have no problem with minimum wage, just as long as it were enough to cover the bills and a bit extra for anything I might need ?

I wish I was a risk taker.. I over think everything.

Bless you, find the strength :) I'm going through the same! I'd choose option 1. Do you have any family members you can practise on for free? Get a nail trainer if you haven't got one.

I'd say your next step needs to be to throw yourself into practising & getting confident. If you use a nail trainer then you don't have to risk being embarrassed in front of paying/non paying clients. Just practise doing your thing until you get really good!

Live, eat, sleep & breathe nails & soon enough people will want a slice of the action :) Best wishes x

I only have my partner's family here, the only person begging me to do their nails is his 15 year old sister.

I do have a nail trainer, I should try to use it more but I get so frustrated with the nails pinging off and because I'm such a perfectionist and it doesn't work out how I expect.

I did put myself on Salon Guinea Pig but my lack of confidence stopped me doing that too, had 3 girls inquire on there.

Thanks xxx

Hey Sam, you were top of the class on our course, so you shouldn't be lacking in confidence! Maybe me, you and Karen can arrange another day to get together and practice again?

Maybe try practicing on your own hand? I think you should get driving under your belt first though and go mobile, it's so hard to get into a salon. I've had the same with people slating the CND course and it's not nice after all that time and money! Xx

What about setting up a home nail studio?

Hey hon, im just finishing my complete course next month and panicking about what to do next. I was thinking of renting a room but not looked into it. Offering shellac while building up my enhancement confidence. Have you looked into rooms at all?

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

If I'm completely honest with you, the only real way to gain confidence in your trade is to gain experience. This doesn't mean jumping into the first job that's offered to you. I've done this far too many times with both my Beaty and photography side of things and I am left so disappointed sometimes and feeling like what a waste of time. This could be the perfect opportunity but if it was right for you, your gut would have told you. if it doesn't feel right or you have to think about it this much, maybe it's not right for you.

There are so many other ways to gain experience and confidence. Don't limit yourself to your boyfriend or your hand trainer. You need to get out there a little more. How about maybe mention to work colleagues that you are doing a very discounted rate for nails as you require "hand models". This way you an do their nails, work on various different hands, take photographs for your portfolio and get a little out of your comfort zone. You could also ask your partners family to tell their friends and spread the word.

This way you could think about starting a facebook page as a local nail tech etc and start spreading the word. Also, I myself have just been through the Prince's Trust Enterprise Programme to help set up my business. It wasn't so much for the funding but more so because I wasn't from a business background. I'm the first in my family to actually become self employed. It is always a struggle to begin with. The first year or so is hard graft in marketing, PR, advertising and promoting YOURSELF before you start to see any clients coming in. You have to think of it this way... If nobody knows that you exist, how are you to gain clients.

I have had so many knock backs with jobs in my field. So many people telling me I do to have enough experience etc. The best thing I ever did was become self employed because now I'm turning over more than I would have in any employed salon job. my client base is always growing and I couldn't thank the princes trust enough for their on going support and guidance. it's definitely worth looking into in your local area. You have to be between 18-30 to sign up. it's great. the more you put yourself out there the more will come to you. Just keep positive and remember that you have to work hard and be determined and I promise your confidence will grow massively. It's ok to make mistakes when you're gaining experience that's the only way you're really going to learn and get confident

As far as being mobile goes, I am using a little room in my house for clients to come to me. Driving is a good idea for general every day purposes as well as being mobile in the beauty world, but they do cost a fair bit to maintain too.

Hope this helps xx

x HelloSORRISO x

I agree salon experience is great for confidence ive seen so many people going straight from learning to setting up on their own and some of them could have benefited alot from salon experience i worked briefly for someone like this i left to set up my own there are also lucky people who are naturally talented at the job
Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back