Done some homework.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeepop

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I've been lurking for a bit, reading up as much advice as possible regarding nail tech training for complete novices (and also reading up on loads of other general great tips!), have had an email from S2 with nearest course dates, and just waiting for the Education folio to arrive. (Already know I'm definitely going to do the course, but folio will also help me know what to expect).

I was never a girly girl as a child, preferring to climb trees and be a proper tomboy with my brother. As a result, I haven't cared for the temple that should be my body! I was a nail biter until I was 20.....I managed to stop and very successfully, while pregnant with my oldest son (19 this year!), and was always told nail biting was a sign of nervousness. I guess that's true, certainly in my case, as I was never a confident child. (Having said that, my middle son can be nervous but has lovely long nails that I'd love to put polish on! :lol:). How did I stop biting my poor nails? By constantly having my hands on my pregnant belly! I loved feeling him kick or move or have hiccups, so my hands were always over my belly, rather than in my mouth. Since then, I've had lovely long nails.....maybe not perfect, but generally strong. Now, if I break a nail, I get very upset lol. Luckily, my daughter is a bit of a poser (she's only 10, but just getting into the vain stage), so won't bite nails, though she always has nails that look like she's dug the garden with bare hands! Yukkk! I do try to tell her about germs etc, and about no polish will be allowed until she starts to clean them better, and she's getting there slowly. Anyway, enough about that......

I've looked at threads with the home-learning v academy training, and know in myself I don't want home learning. I'd aiming for CND as the feedback from a lot of you has been very informative and has helped me to decide. May still invest in a nail trainer though, just for extra practising.

I've looked at various threads about working in salons v working for yourself, for me I think I'd eventually do a combination of home and mobile services.

One thread made me wonder - someone had asked were they too old for this career change......I'd say you're never too old for anything! I also have the same view on disabilities, and, having a long term health issue myself, I have finally come to the decision that working for myself, with hours to suit my own needs, is the best way for me. I have a condition which is of a smiliar nature to MS/ME, which has stopped me from working in retail and in the care profession. I often regret not studying a profession when I was much younger, something that I could have used to my advantage as I got older and the health issues started creeping in. But better late then never eh!

So, I just wondered, do any of you have a long term health problem or disability? If so, have you come across anything that might help raise my awareness of potential issues or obstacles while working as a self empolyed nail tech? What are your thoughts about this side of training and working as a nail tech. As I say, I don't see why it should prevent me from any aspect, but other than perhaps just being careful not to overdo things and book too many clients in (when the time comes), so as to save myself from wearing myself out too quickly, I can't think of any issues.

Can't wait to get started training, though it won't be for a couple of months at least, but in the meantime, I'll keep looking, talking and learning on here and get some books that will help me too. Be sure to expect the newbie questions and pleas of help once trainng starts :lol:

Latest posts

Back