donor card

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both Graeme and I give blood whenever we can....Morgandie has needed so many transfusions this year that its just one way of putting something back in the system.

Organ donor, me and Graeme yes. And I'm sure if (god forbid) it came to it Morgnadie too, but with the very real threat of that having been hung over me within the last year, its just not something I've been able deal with the thought of....I know I would say yes at the time, but I just can't deal with the thought of filling out cards now...maybe soon.

I donate blood when I can and I'm an organ donor. In Australia we have a national donor register and when you fill in the paperwork they send you a card for your wallet and you can put it on your drivers licence.

One of my nieces was born with only one kidney so my sister and I are prepared to be tested for compatability if the need arises.

I would love to donate my body to the local Uni for use by the medical department - I'm more than happy for anyone to practice on my body - I'm not going to need it when I die - but they have strict donation rules so they may not accept me.

Am not sure kids can actually register as a 'proper' doner themselves? Until a certain age assume that the decision will be with the parents (doesn't bare thinking if a 16yr old is more than willing and the parents go against it..)

I feel there should be an automatic register for 'spare parts', and than just get an anti-donor card if you REALLY don't like the thought of it or would like to have some specific wishes (like me and my eyes!).....
Would save an awful lot of heartache and mambo jambo, me thinks....:hug:

And the thing about waking up in a box is a very valid point!!!!:eek:

xx
Christel

ps Morgandie is a wee cutie!!!!!! Big cuddles!!!!

Oh yes, and we're registered on the Bone Marrow donor register too.

A lot more people could do this - a lot are put off because they think that even just registering means you need to give a sample for testing, which isn't so. They can tell if you are likely to be a match for someone through your blood, but if you get matched, you will get asked in for further testing.....again blood only until they know you are an absolute positive match.

You only donate if 100% positively matched, which most people never are, but if you are it usually saves a life. The actual giving, I understand, can be uncomfortable, but we've already seen the lives it can save - especially in children.

My friends baby, William, who some of you may remember died from Leukeamia last year, may have survived if they found a match for him closer to home or sooner...as it was his was in Germany, and the time taken to bring it over meant that he didn't make it and died at just 9 months old.

In fact, I'm going to make this my plea for today! Here you go...the link for all you need to know and do! You wil feel fantastic if you do and all it is, is a bit of typing! You all do that every day on here anyway!

The British Bone Marrow Registry

Am not sure kids can actually register as a 'proper' doner themselves? Until a certain age assume that the decision will be with the parents (doesn't bare thinking if a 16yr old is more than willing and the parents go against it..)

I feel there should be an automatic register for 'spare parts', and than just get an anti-donor card if you REALLY don't like the thought of it or would like to have some specific wishes (like me and my eyes!).....
Would save an awful lot of heartache and mambo jambo, me thinks....:hug:

And the thing about waking up in a box is a very valid point!!!!:eek:

xx
Christel

ps Morgandie is a wee cutie!!!!!! Big cuddles!!!!
I agree with you, other countries have the opt out system we should have it too.
And Morandie is such a sweetie I have to say

Yep. Have had a donor card for years - willing to donate the lot - well it aint no good to me when i am a gonna ;)

I've had a Donor Card for years, they can have the lot off me when I'm gone. That's if it's any good, Lungs - smoked for 20 years (although have given up for the last 2) Liver - errrrrrrrr Wine? Donation to medical science instead perhaps?

I'm going to give blood soon for the first time, only because I'm a pixie and have just gained enough weight to be able to do so!

Great thread though, I didn't know that you could give bone marrow? Sharing is Careing!:hug:

, I didn't know that you could give bone marrow?

Yep , its pretty rare....but its very special when you do. That person basically isn't gping to live with out it....and its not like blood....they have a several million to one chance of finding a donor....so if you match you are usually pretty much the only peson that can save that other persons life.

And the best bit....your body just remakes all the bone marrow you need. you might feel rubbish for a few days after donation....but that person that got your bone marrow if going to feel a lot better than they would have done.....ie alive!

I'd love to be able to register as an organ donor but my health, disability and various drugs i'm on mean i can't nor can i give blood for the same reasons. I'm hoping that possibily when i do eventually die that they will be able to use my corneas as i think thats something they can use no matter what, and if i can make a difference to either one or two people then its still much better than none! I know Ruth is all for organ donation as well and has even offered me her kidney if i ever need it which is good to know (my kidneys are dodgy because of how my disability effects me so it may happen one day unfortunately). A friend of her's died of cancer last year and he left his body to medical research, i don't know if that quite appeals to me i don't like the thought of myself naked/looking at myself naked etc but then i guess you wouldn't be feeling embarrassed if you were dead would you (and if i were i'd be seriously worried i wasn't really dead lol)

I carry a card, its on my drivers licence, its in my work record and the most important bit all my friends and relatives know that when I go I want all the bits of me that can be used to be harvested. Even to the point of putting my body on life support to keep everything viable.
Its personal choice, Paul would give a kidney to someone who needs it, before he became diabetic and on opiate based meds he always gave blood but he doesn't want his organs used.

I am on the organ donor list. I carried a card for ages but it got all bent in my purse. I also give blood but haven't been able to do it for a while due to tattoos and and belly piercing.

My hubby has a needle phobia so giving blood is a no-no for him but we had a long chat and he has now registered to be an organ donor too. Before he had always wanted to be buried with everything intact - he's now had a change of heart.

Its always important to make relatives aware of your wishes as well.

Oh yes, and we're registered on the Bone Marrow donor register too.

A lot more people could do this - a lot are put off because they think that even just registering means you need to give a sample for testing, which isn't so. They can tell if you are likely to be a match for someone through your blood, but if you get matched, you will get asked in for further testing.....again blood only until they know you are an absolute positive match.

You only donate if 100% positively matched, which most people never are, but if you are it usually saves a life. The actual giving, I understand, can be uncomfortable, but we've already seen the lives it can save - especially in children.

My friends baby, William, who some of you may remember died from Leukeamia last year, may have survived if they found a match for him closer to home or sooner...as it was his was in Germany, and the time taken to bring it over meant that he didn't make it and died at just 9 months old.

In fact, I'm going to make this my plea for today! Here you go...the link for all you need to know and do! You wil feel fantastic if you do and all it is, is a bit of typing! You all do that every day on here anyway!

The British Bone Marrow Registry

HAH!!!!!

Just registered online!!! Told them about the platelet transfusions and the blood transfusion after Kahris had to be whipped out on 25/11/97. Told them I am a Blood type O and rhesus negative...(well just said O neg, but they should understand that :lol:)
Gave them address details and just told them I am a bit scared of the pain involved when I had the bone marrow punction, but if I could be knocked out for it I would be happy :eek: enough!!!!! Or even just give me some drugs!!!;)
Not sure if this now will also go the the blood people so will check that out as well and register for that separately if I have to!

Oh yeah, Oh yeah-no dinner here tonight, you're on a diet!

(for some strange reason got the song from Finding Nemo in my head, the one where Dory-the blue fishy-sings with the vegetarian sharks...don't ask why...has nothing to do with this subject! Am not a veggie either-not anymore, another thing to feel guilty about!:irked:)

See ya!!!

Christel:hug:

Hmmmm,

just checked the blood donation question section.did you receive blood since 1st Jan 1980? Yes.....
So they say I seem to be not able to give blood...am wondering where that now leaves me with the bone marrow??

Having had all that stuff put in me whilst living in Northern Ireland could that make a difference (local "produce")?

All upset now!!!!:cry:

Q Why are people who have or think they may have received a blood transfusion since 1980 no longer able to give blood? A This step has been implemented by all four of the UK Blood Services on 2nd August 2004. It is a further precautionary measure against the possible risk of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD) being transmitted by blood and blood products.

vCJD is thought to be the consequence of eating contaminated beef, related to BSE (or mad cow disease) in UK cattle after 1980. Fortunately, vCJD is very rare. But in late 2003, there was evidence that a blood donor transmitted vCJD to a patient, via transfusion. Scientists are not 100% sure that this is the case, as it is possible that both donor and patient acquired vCJD by eating contaminated beef.

At the time that the cjd thing played I called up the local NI blood bank people who insisted that what I was given had already been screened, so I will register with the NI bloodsuckers then!!!!!

Well I made some enquiries today, as a gay myself (using best Dafydd accent) i know that I can't donate blood. When talking with friends we've often thought thats a bit stupid - because what about organs and stuff.

Well today I asked the Organ Donor Register and the official answer is that yes I can continue to be an organ donor. So I then thought, what about Bone Marrow so I contacted a lovely lady at the Anthony Nolan trust. And apparently I can donate bone marrow too!

If you don't know about Bone Marrow transplants or assume they are rather painful (the most common method of donation now isn't very painful at all) then I'd suggest you check out Baldy's Blog - its very sad and moving but will make you think.

Mat

Can I just ask; why do you not want to donate your eyes?

Latest posts

Back