Don't believe the hype?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who mentioned tooth gems being bad, this is what I found today on my Facebook.
Bring back the "I can't brush my teeth properly? No it's not lettuce its a gem" maybe a little gem ;) x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1369349574.074990.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1369349574.074990.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 507
dashing diva - love it, doing ok with it but now no supplier in the uk or ireland, what a mess and the US wont distribute abroad.

lava shell massage - nothing from it at all. took on skinbase microdermabrasion pushing it constantly, some interest but not a lot I am a mobile therapist but now the salons are dropping their prices too so have to decide whether to keep the machine or not

didnt do shellac, i do a lot of manis and pedis so looking at vinylux. have got emails from shrinking violet and it works but am skeptical about them

Flops for me include glitzy lips, minx and vajazzles. Right now shrinking violet, shellac and waxing are top of the league. A few years ago I used kooky wraps, and they went really well. When I moved into the salon I invested in minx, and have only done 2 sets since I started, both on the same lady.

My worst but; shrinking violet! I know I will get shot, but it's true I'm afraid. My clients just not interested, no matter how hard I pushed, talked it up or promoted. It's still on my list but get absolutely no interest.

Not shot but interested who you trained with x No need to name names here but can PM me x

I have read this thread with massive interest. I would love your opinions in regards to Minx. I agree, it seemed like 2010 and 2011 were its heyday. The metallics are still very popular however.

Honestly, honestly no holds bard... Whether its Minx or A.N.Other nail sticker/wrap... What are your opinions and what do your clients have to say?

Was Minx more popular on toes or fingers?
Do you think the fact that Boots / Super-drug etc has a nail style sticker in there for a fiver, has affected the consumer opinion of going into the salon to have them done? Baring in mind we can also buy polish, stick ons etc in most chemists and that doesn't stop most in having manicures etc...

All answers are welcome and please be frank. Your opinions and thoughts are truly valuable. Thank you in advance.

I have done very few wraps, only ever on toes. Even though 6 weeks later they were still on!

My friends mum spotted them & asked how much... A week later she had bought some from town (looked awful not right shape etc) n went round saying they were rubbish as they didn't last.

I said if applied correctly & you use professional ones they will last. She obviously didn't want to pay the going rate.

This is only 1 person but I'd bet quite a few people think the same.

Xx

I have read this thread with massive interest. I would love your opinions in regards to Minx. I agree, it seemed like 2010 and 2011 were its heyday. The metallics are still very popular however.

Honestly, honestly no holds bard... Whether its Minx or A.N.Other nail sticker/wrap... What are your opinions and what do your clients have to say?
Do you think the fact that Boots / Super-drug etc has a nail style sticker in there for a fiver, has affected the consumer opinion of going into the salon to have them done? Baring in mind we can also buy polish, stick ons etc in most chemists and that doesn't stop most in having manicures etc...
All answers are welcome and please be frank. Your opinions and thoughts are truly valuable. Thank you in advance.

IMHO I misread my client market with Minx, I have some that are into nail art etc, don't mind it on toes, but not on fingers. Even they are very few and far between. Others are swimmers, and so it doesn't last. Have I pushed it as a service, not really, my focus has been somewhere else, so I take responsibility on this one. Xx

I'm not sure about Minx to be honest. I do know though that when I go all out to promote something it does lead to clients to want whatever it is I'm promoting.

I havn't done any Minx since last summer and most of them were when I needed models, so the clients were getting a good deal. I only did a few at regular price after that. But in saying that, Minx has been on the back burner promotion wise so this could be down to me prioritising other things.

It does feel though, that it was a fashion thing and now clients have gone back to Shellac or gel toes. I think I only ever did one set of fingers though, which I believe to be because of longevity versus price.

Most of the Minx I have done is on toes for a holiday. I don't think people see it as a regular treatment like they do with Shellac. It's not something your average consumer would have year round.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Minx does seem to be very fashion/trend lead. Last year for the Olympics Union Jack toes flew out but hardly used now.
It does seem to be considered as something for toes only and only on the odd occasion

Well i still do alot of Minx .... i only offer them on toes ... but its always been popular ... maybe because i wear them myself ?!

please dont discontinue :-(

I would like to add though i prefer the previous way they were organised on S2 where you could scroll through all just by clicking next page (or have i missed a way of doing this ?) currently im having to open one category go through them all then go back into the next etc, little glitch but irks me

kx

Great Thread as always Lynne.

Minx for me, I didn't heavily invest, about 7 or 8 designs plus lamp and kit so still enough I guess!

I have done 3 sets in a year but I do feel I need to push it more and it would do better. At least it doesnt have a sell by date!

I am investing in HD at the end of the year and looking forward to it, I haven't gone into it lightly and have held off for over 12 months and now I have made my choice.

I also really want to do a course in intimate waxing, I am qualified but not confident, as I turn away a lot of business for this.

I was the same then I trained with Kim lawless, now I pretty much wax all day every day :)

For me it was caviar nails yuck wish I'd never bought them. Luckily a small financial loss

Lava shell massage....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my hands so I don't even know why I invested in this treatment!

I'm booked on this training & bamboo massage ... but Iv not paid for it (yay) as its CPD (The sch I work for has paid for us to do it as its one we all agreed on for this yr)

Lol - I do Hotstones so don't intend to buy the products ... Lol .. But I'll be interested in the differences.

Most of the Minx I have done is on toes for a holiday. I don't think people see it as a regular treatment like they do with Shellac. It's not something your average consumer would have year round.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I'd agree - I did loads of sets on toes last yr for hols but haven't had one single apt this yr so far ... But I don't know why I love them .. (and clients can't knock or smudge them ... Lol ... !!! ...)

Hi,

Fab thread Lynne.

For me, Lava Shell massage never took off, I found them clumsy and awkward to work with and always found it so much easier massaging with the hands.

Lashes are by far my biggest income (ive worked really hard to become really good at them), although a couple of years ago, I would be Minxing toes from Mar - Oct and the union jacks were popular last year but this year, I have only done 2 sets of minx on toes! (I've got so many in stock too) :0(. It definitely doesn't help with stores like Claire's stocking similar treatments for buttons and youtube video tutorials, not to mention ebay.

Hey ho, what can we do. Just be super careful before taking on new treatments, but that sometimes that's easier said than done when you want to keep up with fashion and trends.

Julie x

I think if people want to they can find out how to do anything with the likes of YouTube and eBay as you said! I think we all know a person who does this! But that's not the type of client that comes to me!

Also If a client wanted to they could buy lash products online even in boots and watch a tutorial but its very difficult! Were as yes doing toes is a lot easier but still not the professional serve no PEP etc

Lava shell has been good for us...but I think now ill try to invest more in "no future outlay" treatments....at least with hot stones etc you don't have to buy the bags and activators etc which means charging more, I got put off the "dumpling" style massage for the cost reason too.

Myscara is off my list, staff hated it though I quite liked it, they never pushed it.

Minx, only ever on toes, have never done fingers. Also have a drawer full of lip tattoos, and vajazzles, though getting through them and my tooth gems as nail art :-D

Minx has never really took off for me either which is a real shame as I love them too. I think they look great on toes and last for ages. Universal contour wrap was a waste of money and so were tooth gems.

I've never been asked for minx even once. I put it on my website for a while for people to get in touch if they wanted to know more/make a booking/enquiry, I get calls all day for shellac and gel but not a single one for minx so took it off of the 'coming soon' section now
X

Myscara what a waste of money! I now sell lots of Dreamweave instead.

Fish pedis I never did but knew they would be a fad.

Minx is slowly going off the radar, but I still do a few now and then.

I don't believe in any type of body wraps, so i'll never invest in those.

Shellac, pedicures, nail art and waxing are huge for me right now so I keep up to date on these..

Latest posts

Back