Don't believe the hype?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
It's so easy to get caught up in all the hoopla and razzmatazz when a new treatment or product arrives in the market, isn't it!
I'm just curious as to which treatments etc you've jumped on only to find that it was a flop or a very short lived fad.
For me it was hopi ear candling and taking on a 100% pure organic skincare range.
I can't remember the last time I had even an enquiry about candling, and with the skincare people want luxurious AND effective, not just inert smelly stuff!

What was it for you? Which range or treatment did you spend an arm and a leg on only to regret it later?
On the flip side which treatment were you really not sure about and now you're going great guns with it?
:)

Myscara was an absolute sham I think for everyone not just me. Lash perming also.
I wasn't sure about body wraps but they have been a huge success.
Hopi ear candles for me are just one of those things that I get asked for now and then. Mainly for people's husbands!

Fish pedicures. Oh dear.
But, tbh, most fads can be avoided if researched properly.

Good thread!

Semi permanent mascara for sure! :)

Definately myscara !!! Waste of a lot of money !!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using SalonGeek

Mine was dip and go nails. (Nightmare) The best thing I've ever done was both shellac and inch wraps! :)

Body wraps!!!!

Cost me a lot of money to get in (about 6 years ago) .

Never again.

I wasn't sure about Shellac when I noticed the ad for it 3 years ago. Lucky for me I called the then distributors ....kerching!

Luckily i haven't spent a fortune on anything that hasn't worked out, but it's a kick in the teeth to have any treatment not take off.

Ear candling i get asked for occassionally, but it didn't cost much.

Minx i have only had one client for, but i am determined that i will turn it into a success, lol. I plan to apply it to lots of my lovely friends and family, get loads of pictures for and try starting off with putting it on one accent nail for my clients to try and fall in love with :)

Eyelash extensions again haven't taken off for me, but i'm going to get in a good bit of practice, leaflet drop around some more affluent areas and maybe get them done myself to get interest.

I also remember training in the tip n dip acrylics, but i never even put them on my price list!

Ooh, the fish pedicures, lol, i never got involved but i remember the thousands of threads fondly xx

Body wraps!!!!

Cost me a lot of money to get in (about 6 years ago) .

Never again.

Interesting...i was starting to think about possibly looking into Shrinking Violet, it's really only my tiny little treatment room that was putting me off xx

Fish Pedicures. Died on its ass
Semi permanent perms by Wella-I did two and both were disapointing
Minx! Most of my clients are conservative ladies that lunch

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Oh and tooth gems. Why did I think they were a good idea?

The beat way to avoid waste is to ask your clients what THEY want not what you want to offer. If they don't want it, don't do it. X

The beat way to avoid waste is to ask your clients what THEY want not what you want to offer. If they don't want it, don't do it. X

Yes but, people don't know what they don't know!
Sometimes we need to make an informed decision about what we think they need/want and then educate them.

Glitzy Lips!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and tooth gems. Why did I think they were a good idea?

ha! i remember these "excuse me i think you have something in your teeth......oh no its a tooth gem.. why??" :|

Dashing diva I didn't spend to much on them but enough to wish I had not lol.

And strangely neon gel polish , they wear a bit of a waste as even though I had a few people see and want them I definitely didn't make my money back , people do generally like the classic colors .

Vajazzles! 😳
Although It didnt cost much at all really, I had 1 client ask and after all this time they're still sat in the cupboard.

Apart from that all my treatments have been good choices 👍

ha! i remember these "excuse me i think you have something in your teeth......oh no its a tooth gem.. why??" :|

Aww I had one of those, I was about 14 so a long while ago n I loved it haha xx

Glitzy lips
Le chat products
Dashing diva
Vajazzles

:(

Product I wasn't sure about 'Shellac', best not sure purchase I ever made !!

Clients are the very worst for reading about something and saying 'you should get xyz in, it'd do really well'. Get the stuff in, and they don't bother to get it done.
I did ok with myscara, but we marketed it hard. Lash extensions were a flop, I can't even give my body treatment stuff away, and only about two clients had crystal toes.

Latest posts

Back