Don't believe the hype?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it was Dashing Diva foil effect full coverage nails. Utter rubbish but I.bought them because my mum liked them at Beauty UK last year.

Also SP mascara. What an utter waste of money that was.

I never invested in Glitzy lips for the lips I bought one to use on nails but I got it in the s2 sale. No different to normal nail art foil though except the price tag!

Wasting money on the above has made me very reluctant to add more treatments. I only do nails but I have a few family members and friends who think I should expand but I don't know what in to and I don't want to waste money again. Xx

Minx was an absolute waste of money for me I only ever had two paying sets, my clients love shellac so they just aren't interested in changing.

Can't believe all the minx stories, I took minx on when it very first came out and it boomed; all I did was bloody minx! But now you can buy a similar product in the likes of primark it's gone from my treatment list. SV, lash extensions, shellac and threading went really well for me...and to echo everyone else, myscara was a load of bollocks x

I wonder if there is any geographical variance?
I do know that the further north you go the darker they like their tan, or so Fake Bake told me!

Lava shell massage....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my hands so I don't even know why I invested in this treatment!

Last edited:
Something I try to remember when making decisions about new stuff:
Pioneers get the arrows; settlers get the land...

I want to learn ear piercing but cant help feeling like that's the kind of thing that could possibly end up being a waste of money! Does anyone get many clients for it? X

I have done about 20 in 7 years of being self employed I have done ear piercing for 15 years though, its not a massive out lay ,but depends how you think about it. :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Interesting thread Lynne. For me , lash extensions have never taken off, but then I have a predominantly older clientele. ( by older I mean 60 plus) and they all want manis and pedis and waxing. I have a treatment called " The Random Pluck" which is just basically removing stray hairs from any area that ladies grow random hairs after the menopause. My ladies think this is really funny!!!And because they are mature some of my Shellac colours have not been popular, namely Blackpool, Midnight Swim, Cocoa, Fedora. They all love Hot Chillis and Rosebud. I go through bottles of it.

Le Chat gel polish never took off but that was because I then switched to Shellac which has been a fantastic boost to my business. I nearly did Minx but glad I didn't now that I have read this thread. :)

I do know that the further north you go the darker they like their tan, or so Fake Bake told me!

I'm north and I only do light tans.

Another for me was HD brows, nothing different from what you do anyway with a tint and shape, complete waste of money!

I thought about doing ear piercing but the annual licensing fees put me off and I'm so glad because I've had about 2 people ask in as many years!

But I did get minx when it came out and it was massive, the last two summers however have been all crystal pedis and gel polish :D

When you say north I take it you mean England.

Well, according to Fake Bake the Glasgow salons always want the darkest tan available!

I'm in York I class that as quite far 'up north' and I rarely tan and there's not many perma-tanned people here!!! Lol

I think my biggest and most expensive :( flop was crystal clear microdermabrasion!! I no most people love it! But I got offered a really good deal and had a rep come out a it seemed good! Did the training and have a few clients in for courses and. ..... Nothing! Took before and after pic and saw no change at all :( got better results for skin treatment!! So I now have tones of crystals and there masks left un opened that they won't return then :(

I think with Minx there's Sooo many alternative out there specially since CND Shellac came along and rock starts and crystals etc. people that used to always have minx on and have had it done a few times want to try something else! I have seen a decline in Minx but not a decline in toes coming thought the door! They're just choosing something else! Although love the new spring hippy minx!! I also loved using all the flag minx when we did the Olympics!! Would be great to get them in a few country's not all of them I think there would be far too many but the top 10 holiday destination would be great! Imagine your client going on holiday to say spain and been able to apply the Spanish flag minx to there toes :)

Im in Aberdeen and I do a total mix 8,10,12,14 % mostly 10.12 but I will say my partner daughter lives in Glasgow and she does a lot of dancing there are lots of dance troops there maybe this might have an effect on sales :-D

ha! i remember these "excuse me i think you have something in your teeth......oh no its a tooth gem.. why??" :|

my boyfriend dad is 46 (i think) he has 1 tooth (doesnt wear false teeth) and he has a tooth germ for a long as i know him and been about 6 years it very funny:D

I'm "down south" girls here like there tans dark, however they do seem orange. Quite a few self tan.

Vajazzle's never took off for me, had 1 client book in then cancelled.
Minx, never took off when i first brought lots of stock. But I've been promoting this loads lately hoping girls going on holiday will want this on there toes, so far 1 client in 3 weeks. xx

I'm thinking of adding eyelash SP & express for my late summer business launch. After reading this I'm not so sure as training is expensive & now paranoid it won't take off! There's not many people doing it in my area but is this for a reason?:(! Am I best to concentrate on starting my nails business and then add at a later date? Just thought that with spray tanning as well it would be a nice business package? How do u go about judging demand apart from checking with clients? What is the demand for spray tanning like currently?

Thinking of stuff that came in like lions and went out like lambs - who would include poppits in this category?

What is the demand for spray tanning like currently?

I used to have a very healthy spray tanning client base, until a girl in my village started advertising herself as "your tanner for a tenner"!
And that, my friends, was the end of my spray tanning business.

People often don't care whether you're using a high end brand or a cheap and nasty one, they just want to be tanned. The rise of TOWIE el al has also increased the prevalence of people actually wanting to be orange!
Go figure!

I used to have a very healthy spray tanning client base, until a girl in my village started advertising herself as "your tanner for a tenner"!
And that, my friends, was the end of my spray tanning business.

People often don't care whether you're using a high end brand or a cheap and nasty one, they just want to be tanned. The rise of TOWIE el al has also increased the prevalence of people actually wanting to be orange!
Go figure!

It's not towie that started the orange tans though. I've always liked an orange tan for nights out years before Essex wannabe's morphed into me ;)

Tanning is quite good up north, we get clients for quality rather than price, we use scienna x, a salon up the road rarely gets clients with their offering of £6 cheap tan. X

Latest posts

Back