Don't believe the hype?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minx hasn't done as well but I'm thinking winter is not minx season so I'm pushing it now. Have it on my toes now and I know I will get bookings from that.

Vinylux too (runs off and hides) is not a big seller. I have a few clients that are regulars but the rest of my ladies are wanting their colour to last 2 weeks.

Vicki x

Just wanted to thank those for their candid answers. @Karren no plans to discontinue although there will be a tonne in our August online sale. We have an established top 50 that is still selling well (all the metallics and new collections) but as I say, I think it is obvious that consumer retail has effected sales and that the hype dies down eventually.

I never really thought of Minx as a fad as there are some great USP's to it and especially the longevity of wear on toes plus the wow factor of metallics but our customers have said they prefer the ease of applying polish or shellac as it is simply easer and less time consuming. Yet those Minxers out there who still do a lot of treatments happily claim to apply Minx in around 30 minutes which is really no different to CND Shellac or a regular manicure.

The new Minx Underwear has proven to be a popular fun add-on as they can be sandwiched between colour and top coat of both polish, CND Shellac, gel-polish and enhancement coatings. As everyone is art crazy these days, the Minx Underwear can give an unexpected twist!

As we know, these things do indeed come and go. Although I don't believe Minx has had it's day, I do believe Minx has had it's moment in the sun... Nothing ever last forever in hype mode but it is still a viable and valuable service for any nail professional. ;):lol:

Just wanted to thank those for their candid answers. @Karren no plans to discontinue although there will be a tonne in our August online sale. We have an established top 50 that is still selling well (all the metallics and new collections) but as I say, I think it is obvious that consumer retail has effected sales and that the hype dies down eventually.

I never really thought of Minx as a fad as there are some great USP's to it and especially the longevity of wear on toes plus the wow factor of metallics but our customers have said they prefer the ease of applying polish or shellac as it is simply easer and less time consuming. Yet those Minxers out there who still do a lot of treatments happily claim to apply Minx in around 30 minutes which is really no different to CND Shellac or a regular manicure.

The new Minx Underwear has proven to be a popular fun add-on as they can be sandwiched between colour and top coat of both polish, CND Shellac, gel-polish and enhancement coatings. As everyone is art crazy these days, the Minx Underwear can give an unexpected twist!

As we know, these things do indeed come and go. Although I don't believe Minx has had it's day, I do believe Minx has had it's moment in the sun... Nothing ever last forever in hype mode but it is still a viable and valuable service for any nail professional. ;):lol:

I missed the August sale :( .....Dont know where i was :lol:
I still do alot of MInx, I do talk about it loads which makes a difference i think. Also I have it on my toes all the time and show my clients etc

THERE WAS AN AUTUMN SALE??!!! WHAAAAT

Where was I lol??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I somehow missed that sale too :sad:

I still do quite a lot of wraps, my clients love them. I do Minx, Kooky and Blixz. I only do them on toes or little girls' fingers.

The problem with Minx as a brand is that there is not enough of the big sizes on the pack. If you have a pattern that can't be used sideways or upside down it is impossible to get more than one toe treatment out of the pack. This makes the service cost very high. I can always get at least two applications (irrespective of pattern) from Kooky and three from Blixz, both brands are cheaper than Minx and wear just as well.

I now never buy designs that can't be used every which way.

Some of the designer Minx packs had strange logos on the large wraps. This really annoyed me!

My big money wasters:

Everything to do with nail art. I have just about everything and no one ever asks for nail art. I bought an airbrush compressor years ago and eventually sold it. Remember nail dangles? I have a ton of them!

Glitzy Lips - I never got the hang of it.

I started with Nubar Gelicure as a gel polish (I must admit it changed my business), but I then when to Gelish and now just love OPI GelColor. I wish OPI GelColor had been around when all the other gel polish ranges launched.

Backscratchers Extreme Tip & Dip system - I hated it and the resin bottles were impossible to open after two or three uses.

Toma Mood Changing Polish - I bought loads and sold it all off cheap in the end.

Fabric# - Way too much faffing about with different bottles for the same result as a one resin system. I tried about 3 bottles of "More Than White", I just couldn't get the hang of that stuff.

OPI Wrap System - Fibreglass that just stood up on its own all the time. Even the person demonstrating the system to me at a show couldn't get it right!

I could go on! I've wasted loads of money over the years.

I wrote that in June. We had planned to do an online sale in August. It DIDNT happen... Yet!

I wrote that in June. We had planned to do an online sale in August. It DIDNT happen... Yet!

You probably didn't get a chance, wasn't there a load of minx
destroyed in the warehouse flood?

Thought it might be time for an update.

If I might be so bold as to offer some advice...

Before you buy into a brand/product/treatment it's worthwhile remembering that the manufacturer will tell you that it's the Next Big Thing, and it might very well be. However, there is no harm in asking many questions about it from as many people as you can.

Here are a few tips:

1: Why are you buying into the brand?
Is it peer pressure? Is it because you've researched the market, and your local salons to see whether there is a gap in the market? If it's the former you can be sure that within a few months everyone and his dog will be offering it which dilutes your audience.

2: Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land.
What this means is that if you're the one offering something new, or buying something from a new company, you might very well get injured in the process. Those who offer a tried and tested product/service/treatment are more likely to get long term rewards.

3: Listen to the naysayers!
Don't just listen to the positives. Find people who are no longer fans of the product/service/treatment and ask them why.

4: Too good to be true?
If it walks like a duck,, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Things that appear to be too good to be true are mostly too good to be true!

5: Easy money
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.
None of us has the Holy Grail of business. It's damned hard work, and the return on investment time can be long. It takes 3 years to build a business and 5 to build a name. Probably longer in this economic climate.

6: The power of persuasion
Try not to talk yourself into wanting something just because someone has dangled something shiny in front of your eyes.
Talk to your friend/colleague/family and ask them to play devil's advocate. Get them to throw up as many negatives/queries/objections/scenarios as possible.

7: Don't make a decision in a hurry.
"Marry in haste. repent at leisure." The same goes for business; you can spend a loooong time recovering from a hasty, ill thought-out decision, and some businesses will never recover, even long established ones! Those of us old enough will remember a man called Gerald Ratner. He owned a HYOOGE chain of jewellers called Ratners, and when he said that most of what they sold was crap he wiped £500 MILLION off the value of the company. It never recovered...

8: Opening order value
Some companies will insist on a huge opening order. Sometimes this is for a very good reason - ask them why.
Sometimes it might be because they're not all that interested in building long term relationships with their customers; they get a shed load of money in up front, and move on to the next prospective customer.

9: Keeping the love alive!
There was a song once with the lyric "everything you had to do to get my love is everything you have to do to keep it". Whilst I'm not suggesting that you have to be wooed in the same way once you've signed up to a brand, if you are being ignored/fobbed off/lied to as an existing customer how does that make you feel?

And finally...

10: Walk away

"There is no new thing under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9)
There are loads of companies out there offering loads of products and treatments. If you're not happy with the way things are going there is no shame (and indeed, a great deal of merit) in walking away and finding a new supplier.

So there you have it; my top ten tips for how not to hurt yourself if/when the band wagon comes rolling into town and over your bank account!

Fantastic Lynne - as always x

Amazing words of wisdom Lynne

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I love your last post Lynne, I need to print it and stick it to my debit card, computer and carry it with me at all times. I am without doubt a salesman's dream.

My current weakness is Moyou London stamping plates. I've already bought loads and I feel my life will not be complete without nearly every plate. So far one client has had a full set, two clients have had accent fingers done! However, undeterred by this lack of interest, I will not rest until all those plates are mine :lol:

I love your last post Lynne, I need to print it and stick it to my debit card, computer and carry it with me at all times. I am without doubt a salesman's dream.

My current weakness is Moyou London stamping plates. I've already bought loads and I feel my life will not be complete without nearly every plate. So far one client has had a full set, two clients have had accent fingers done! However, undeterred by this lack of interest, I will not rest until all those plates are mine :lol:

Haha! I'm the same! I've done about the same as you for clients but I NEED more plates :p

But have you got the super stamper JuicyLucy? The one that allows you to stamp larger images on long nails? And the Models Own polishes. And all the other bits...

What I'm trying to say is, me too!

I've just read through this and I was the complete opposite with minx a few years ago it was all I did! Big parties of people and made good money from it too. I still do the odd few and in the summer I have a few groups who always come back. I live in Cornwall and its flip flop central lol, people even wear their flip flops to work so Mabye that's the reason why. My best thing I did was buy loads of glitter. Sounds strange but glitter is so cheap and it goes into all nail treatments. No one has ever asked me for nail art but glitter is always popular! Xx

But have you got the super stamper JuicyLucy? The one that allows you to stamp larger images on long nails? And the Models Own polishes. And all the other bits...

Of course I have, in fact I have at least 8 stampers. The best one being the Creative massive squashy one :D. Moyou polishes, Konad polishes, Barry M Polishes, Mondo de Unas Polishes, Models Own Polishes, various scrapers .................. and on and on. I even bought a lovely lilac metal case to put it all in! Hey, another client had a ring finger done today so I feel I'm justified!

Of course I have, in fact I have at least 8 stampers. The best one being the Creative massive squashy one :D. Moyou polishes, Konad polishes, Barry M Polishes, Mondo de Unas Polishes, Models Own Polishes, various scrapers .................. and on and on. I even bought a lovely lilac metal case to put it all in! Hey, another client had a ring finger done today so I feel I'm justified!

That's dedication, lol!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Me three!

I just cannot have 'a bit' of a range... I need the whole thing!

How much extra on top of gel polish can you charge for stamping plates? X

Latest posts

Back