Don't blame the new nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new@nails

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of posts about people doing the 2 day course and being qualified. I do agree that 2 days are not enough but maybe its the training schools that should be targeted.

I speak from learning the very hard way. Did a 3 day course arcylic and gel. it took weeks for my kit to arrive, when it did the the Gel system did not match what they taught me, they never answered the phone, it was a joke

I did start me own business but because I trusted people I did believe I could do it I gave up as my confidence was knocked

Please if your thinking of doing this, be very careful, know your stuff inside and out.

I've gone back to office work now, still do nails on the side, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought and I think it was because I wasn't trained enough.

Anyway thats me off my soap box!!!!!

Well of course you are right and new nail technicians are the wrong target group to blame.

But until we have some form of licencing then there will always be undertrained technicians. AND the same thing will happen to them as happenned to you -- they will not succeed --- there is too much good competition out there from the ones who choose (or are lucky enough to choose) a good partner in their training and development.

Funnily enough, bad nails do not often put women off having their nails done ... they love the concept and most go on to find a good technician. There are exceptions of course and we all know of them but its the same principal as a bad hair cut .... if you have one, you go out and find someone who can do it better.

Most people think that to do nails is easy .. that is why they think they can master it in 2 days or 1 day or whatever. Everyone finds out that it isn't that simple and the drop out rate from those types of classes is HUGE. sorry it happenned to you.

Hiya,

It's about time we got some sort of licensing in the uk........before all the clients have bad nails done and dont bother looking for another tech...........its such a shame that nails get alot of bad write up.........e.g" i'm not having my nails done they ruin your nails" and "they never grow again the same". Its so worrying that thee are some bad techs, but when argos and boots sell kits without any training its difficult to stop these things happening.anway i'm rambling now.
Amanda

Lily said:
Hiya,

It's about time we got some sort of licensing in the uk........before all the clients have bad nails done and dont bother looking for another tech...........its such a shame that nails get alot of bad write up.........e.g" i'm not having my nails done they ruin your nails" and "they never grow again the same". Its so worrying that thee are some bad techs, but when argos and boots sell kits without any training its difficult to stop these things happening.anway i'm rambling now.
Amanda

Well believe it or not, for 15 years some of us have been actively working to get 'some form' of licencnig. This is why we have worked so hard on developing the NVQ qualification, and it is why Creative developed Master Classes over 8 years ago so that we could produce a standard .... but as long as these qualifications are not mandatory, it still leaves it up to the technician and his/her own standards to go out and get these qualifications.

The nail business is 25 years old now in the USA ... nails still get bad write ups from the Beauty editors of the consumer magazines there and they have licencing in the USA. They have also been selling the consumer 'nail kits' for years in the US in every chemist, drug store and supermarket and still the professional business of nails grows and grows.

The best thing we as technicians can do to promote trust in our clients and turn the bad talk around, is to do wonderful beautiful nail enhancements and look after the health of our clients natural nails while we do them.

Why do we think licensing is a good thing? In my opinion, Licensing can strangle standards.
True, it may help ensure some people know a little more about sanitation, and deep anatomy... but overall I dont see a massive quality in service gap between the US and other parts of the world (especially here).
Many licensed techs in the US still think a bacterial infection is Mould or Fungus and that one can get HIV via a nail treatment.

Just food for thought ;)

Sam, we have had lots of conversations about this LOL.

The biggest problem I have is with the idea that the NVQ will be the standard for the licensing and we all know that the standard of NVQ teaching within some colleges leaves alot to be desired.

I am more in favour of an association/board which polices the nail industry rather than some faceless beaureaucrat who knows absolutely nothing about nails or much else probably LOL but if it says NVQ on my CV then tick I get a license.

Sorry again I have gone slightly off topic but you started it LOL.

The Nail Geek said:
Why do we think licensing is a good thing? In my opinion, Licensing can strangle standards.
True, it may help ensure some people know a little more about sanitation, and deep anatomy... but overall I dont see a massive quality in service gap between the US and other parts of the world (especially here).
Many licensed techs in the US still think a bacterial infection is Mould or Fungus and that one can get HIV via a nail treatment.

Just food for thought ;)

Totally agree. having a driving license doesn't necessarily make you a good driver does it.
New@nails you are right. I,m really sorry that you didn't receive the correct education. I sincerely hope that your confidence hasn't been knocked too much. If you can, do a conversion course with a reputable company. This job has it's ups and down like any other but can be so rewarding and satisfying, I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back