Don't feel good enough

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_lee110788

Reaction score
Ive had a 5 year break from hairdressing after having children. I did a hair up course and hair extension course during them years and im slowly starting to build up mobile hair extension customers and have a wedding booked in for june. Im realy enjoying it but as i am just starting it is not enough to pay my bills!
A month ago i got a job working 2 days in a salon. It is mostly mens hair and old ladies short styles as it started off as a barbers. The staff are lovely but i dont think im good enough. im great at highlights and long hair but we never have that type of customers! I told my boss and she told me to bring a male model in. I cut it and everything was wrong. Ive had no barber training but they expect me to be able to do a perfect gents cut! Ive been watching the other stylists closely but just cant get the hang of the scissor over comb thing. Im almost certain they will finish me in a few weeks if i dont improve. I feel so rubbish and wish i just stuck to my supermarket job at times! I also think if i loose this job i will struggle to find anyone who will take me on if i cant even keep a barbers job! Its like i can do all the hard stuff like extensions and can do all types of braids and funky colours but i cand do a basic short cut!
Has anyone else felt like this? Anything i can do to improve? I feel sick with dread going into work tomorrow

I feel the same way. I've been hairdressing for 3 years and in the first 2 years I arranged all my own colour training up at wella and watched 1000s of colour correction tutorials in between times and the odd client who wanted that kind of work I jumped at the chance... but I was constantly making mistakes which was really crap. I've now started 3 months ago at a really high end salon with other experienced and knowledgeable colleagues and I've learnt so much all ready, yet I'm still making stupid mistakes. I absolutely learn from them now and thankfully my clients do give me the opportunity to rectify them but its so disheartening whenever I hear the word "complaint" it sends shudders down my spine and i lose sleep over it out of fear I'm going to lose my job because I'm just not good enough.

I've been told that I overthink things and i always go the long way round. I dont think I'm too proud to ask for help but maybe I am.... I've got to get over this "not asking for help brainfart" lol

I guess the key is training training training and ask ask ask.... if they value you then they should help you xxxxxx

Could you not take a barbering course? Short hair is a completely different skill set and very hard to master, not as simple as most people think.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and it's easy to avoid things in which you have the least practice in , mine is hair up and balayage . I had a similar problem with foil highlights 12 or so years ago and I practiced on a training head with conditioner not tint over and over till I perfected it and I'm the neatest foiler now I know ! If you really want it to work look up short gents cuts and copy them for free on friends boyfriends for free in your own time so there is no pressure , It's easy to lack confidence at times and even after over 25 years in industry it can happen to anyone , You just have to work out for you if you can handle the extra stress in the short term ! Best of luck !

Thanks everyone. I brought another male model in this morning and thought id done it a bit better. Well my boss came over, said it was realy bad and that she would not let a cut like that leave the salon. She said all this in front of the model and other staff which embarrased me. She then told me to finish early while she disgussed things with her business partner. An hour later i got a text message to say they were letting me go! So i was sacked by text! To be honest im quite relieved. I have had no barber training and she expected me to be be able to do a perfect gents cut after only 2 models!
Im going to just stick with my extensions and bridal hair i think

Wow..... That is harsh. Seems like you're better off not working there if that's how they handle the situations. Don't let this stop you doing a barbering course or applying for another position elsewhere. Xx

Play to your strengths. The skills you have are really valuable, you'd be amazed how many good stylists can't/hate doing hair up, can't braid and don't do extensions! Maybe target a few salons and sell yourself as colour/occasion hair/extensions. That way you're doing what you love and the pressure is off the stylists that hate doing it. Good luck!

Sounds like you're in the wrong place. U need to be in a salon where those clients you are used to doing come in.

That is so rude to do that by text !! Barbering is a whole different ball game to ladies hairdressing , would definitely suggest course . You are better off out of that salon as was unfair of them to expect without proper training and practice , good luck x

Latest posts

Back