Don't know what to do!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetanologist

Reaction score
So, i applied for a teaching job, I GOT IT...!!!

It is on a self employed basis and that i would also help out with clients and admin, which is fine with me.

When i went for my induction, the owner said she would need me in 3 days per week, which again, was fine by me.

Now, over the past month she has been sending me home early, meaning i am only working 3-4 hrs per day and telling me really late at night around 11-12midnight that i am not required the following day, or even 1 hr before i am due in, i will get a text saying she isnt opening that day.

I messaged her last week and asked if i am getting paid for all the times she has been sending me home and told me not to come in, she did not respond.

As far as i am concerned, i should be getting paid. Right?

Then today she has sat me down and basically said she is NOT paying me for the times she has sent me home and told me LAST MIN that i am not required. She also went on to say that there is no point in me being in the academy if there is nothing for me to do.

She then went on to compare me to her one and only hair dresser, who may i add is NOT a tutor and claimed she is seeing a return from having her in the academy as she is bringing clients with her and earning the owner money, where as i am not.

However, the owner offers funded courses meaning the student gets a free course as its funded by the government, she just needs to fill the places. When the company approached my boss about this, she was raring to go and so she did. She then struggled to fill the places as it is a new business and the marketing of the business is quite poor. I then advertised her business on my own personal social media in which resulted in her receiving over 100 new likes on her social media page in less than 48hrs and the 12 spaces she had to fill for the course was filled in less than 1 hour with an additional 48 students that wanted to enrol. As well as additional students wanting to enrol on other courses.

I am so upset that she has said this because without me, them courses would not be running as she could not fill them. So how am i not making her money?

I also have my own salon in which i have made clear i am more than happy to bring my clients to her business as it would be less stress for me and i can close my business as that is what i planned to do anyway. She has still NOT purchased the equipment and products i need. I asked her over 1 month ago...!!!! Her excuse is because "no on has enquired" about them. My reply, well no one will enquire if we dont promote and we cant promote if we dont have the equipment and products, right?

AAARRRGHHHHH, i just dont know what to do. She made it clear that she wanted the academy side promoted, ive done that and more. Now she is complaining im not bringing her enough money from the salon side of it, in which i feel i cant do if i dont have the correct stuff and i shouldnt have to ask her more than once.

She is wanting me to be a promotor, tutor, admin, therapist and help her pick her business up.......for £8 per hr.

Overall, she concluded that basically, if i dont do all that and fill my days that i am in with clients so she is making money, then theres no point in me being there and she will just call me in when she needs me to teach, in which she expects me to set the training room up aswell, the day before, with no pay.

Apologise for the LONG text. I just need some help :(

If you're self employed you would be taking your own money, not being paid an hourly wage. You would then give her her rent or a commission cut. Sounds like she wants someone there as an employee but without the responsibility of paying national insurance and tax for you. To be honest, it sounds really dodgy to me. Personally, I'd be out of there without a backward glance. Why would you promote this woman's business and give her the clients you've worked hard for? She's not treating you fairly, and I'm pretty sure (and I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm/elaborate) that what she's doing with pay is illegal and she can get into lots of trouble for it. You shouldn't be getting paid by her if you're self employed. A self employed person runs their own business. If I were you I'd personally stick with the salon as opposed to being a part of her business. It sounds like a badly run business and poor working environment to me.

£8 per hour? Did you sign a contract by the way? Agree with contouraclinic 100%.

I agree with the ladies here it's dodgy I would leave cos if she goes under your name is also going to be included and how would you get on with being associated with someone like that! Don't , just leave .

Thank you ladies...!!!! I appreciate your reply. Maybe i did not make myself clear, i am happy to be self employed and many tutor roles are on a self employed basis within my area. I was told in my induction that i would "help" out with clients. I kind of feel a little bit like, its not my fault or problem that she does not have many clients and the clients she does have require her to do the treatments as they are her clients from her previous mobile therapist business. What she is doing with pay is not illegal, however i do agree that is unfair and the way she is treating me is also unfair.

I also agree that she is wanting an employee without the stress. I am not apart of her business and yes, come to mention it i think i may be best of leaving.

I am extremely shocked that she has treated me like this in all fairness as when i attended the interview i was shocked to discover that i already knew her hence the reason why i was happy with a verbal contract. I did not think, in 1 million years that she would do this :(

I'm confused. You're self employed but talk about £8 per hour. I don't know how self employed tutors work. Are you in the UK?
Whatever she says and whatever she is offering doesn't sound like much fun and it doesn't sound like a viable business. Whether she is twisting the hmrc guidelines on self employment or not, I wouldn't want to be associated with her or her disorganised business.

Good luck

Vic x

She is wanting me to be a promotor, tutor, admin, therapist and help her pick her business up.......for £8 per hr. Overall, she concluded that basically, if i dont do all that and fill my days that i am in with clients so she is making money, then theres no point in me being there and she will just call me in when she needs me to teach, in which she expects me to set the training room up aswell, the day before, with no pay.

This is clearly a sham arrangement in terms of her calling you self employed.
What if you had clients booked into your salon when she rings up wanting you to set up the training room at short notice without pay? Will you just cancel them?

Why don't you just set up and run your own training courses?

I'm confused. You're self employed but talk about £8 per hour. I don't know how self employed tutors work. Are you in the UK?
Whatever she says and whatever she is offering doesn't sound like much fun and it doesn't sound like a viable business. Whether she is twisting the hmrc guidelines on self employment or not, I wouldn't want to be associated with her or her disorganised business.

Good luck

Vic x

Ok, may be this will help.

When you are self employed as a beauty therapist, you take your own payments and pay the owner rental of the space or commission etc. You run your own business and buy your own products and so on.

Yes i am in the UK and as a tutor, by being self employed i am able to work for myself and tutor at multiple establishments if i wished. Many tutor posts dont tend to be full time unless in a college. Many private academies near me are run exactly the same way.

It also allows me to work mobile if i wished etc etc and push everything through one set of books x

Self Employed means Self employed not getting paid £8 an hour by someone else or you should be on a payroll?? And getting the perks of holiday pay ect... Leave!!

She is wanting me to be a promotor, tutor, admin, therapist and help her pick her business up.......for £8 per hr. Overall, she concluded that basically, if i dont do all that and fill my days that i am in with clients so she is making money, then theres no point in me being there and she will just call me in when she needs me to teach, in which she expects me to set the training room up aswell, the day before, with no pay.

This is clearly a sham arrangement in terms of her calling you self employed.
What if you had clients booked into your salon when she rings up wanting you to set up the training room at short notice without pay? Will you just cancel them?

Why don't you just set up and run your own training courses?

Of course not. But i have mentioned this to her and he reply was simply, "You do what is best for you". [emoji52]

Self Employed means Self employed not getting paid £8 an hour by someone else or you should be on a payroll?? And getting the perks of holiday pay ect... Leave!!

Thank you :)

I think many of the ladies feel the same way and i am swaying towards so. However, self employment means many different things. In the tutor aspect she is paying me to provide a service at the fee of £8 per hr while foing admin and treatments, £10 ph while teaching, 3 days a week.

In regards to treatments, as i previously said she said i would "help" & i dont mind helping as the position i applied for was for a tutor but i am always happy to help.

Then she does and says that....!!!!!!!!!!

When i teach a course for her, she gets £350 per day funded from the government and i get £50. However, i think she may be telling me fibs on that one as she asked me to reply to emails and i came across an email stating £890 per day from the company who fund the courses. I did not read it fully because as soon as a realised i clicked off

Thats why it has upset me at the fact she has said shes not seeing a return on me being there [emoji52]

The hair dresser is certainly not earning her £350 per day or £890 per day...!!!!!! [emoji113]

You've just pretty much summed up everything wrong with beauty therapy training right now. Little more than a pyramid scheme.

You've just pretty much summed up everything wrong with beauty therapy training right now. Little more than a pyramid scheme.

What do you mean? [emoji85]

Look how much she's making, and out of our taxes. Look how much you're making. Are all these students going on to jobs? Or opening their own business? Only a very small number.

Look how much she's making, and out of our taxes. Look how much you're making. Are all these students going on to jobs? Or opening their own business? Only a very small number.
Ahhhh right, now i see what you mean. Disgusting isn't it. Yes it is a scheme which is encouraging people to work etc. Im just angry and frustrated with the whole situation [emoji17]

I've worked in a similar set up as you, and this is how it worked for me.

I'm a self-employed therapist working from home.
I used to also work at a college as a self employed teacher.

For the college: I was paid £19 ph for the hours I worked there.
If I had a two hour class in the morning and then a 1hr one towards the end of the afternoon, I would be paid for three hours work. No mater how long I was actually in the college building for. Sometimes I had to do a small amount of classroom setup before hand ( unpaid). All the teaching hours were listed a year in advance so there were no short notice changes.
Each month I would send in an invoice for the hours I worked and they would send back a cheque.
That sort of arrangement is fine and perfectly above board.
I was not expected to promote the college or get students for them or do any admin.....that is the grey area, you could do that, then invoice your time, but I don't think that will go down well.

The difficulty seems to be the random way your hours can change. That's what you need to sort out. Maybe 2 weeks notice if she doesn't what you there? Or you invoice as usual.

I've just reread your original post. You also talk about taking your clients there? Why? If you are treating your clients on her premises, you are still self employed and should be doing your own bookings / taking your own money etc.
Sound like she is a business nightmare! I'd keep your own business running....her's seems shaky to say the least!!

And why would you work for so little you could get a job at office angels for more than that 10 years ago! You a tutor not an office sweeper!

Latest posts

Back