dont know where to start

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura hunter

Reaction score
hi,im so glad i found this site,ive been wondering who to ask or where to go for advice.last year i did a twelve week manicure and pedicure course at college which i really enjoyed so i went on to do a 4 day technician course with star nails using vf21 acrylic,i finished the course no probs but lost a bit enthusiasm bacause i was finding it so hard,ie nails not staying on and stuff,i dont want this to go 2 waste and would like to get back into it but dont know if its just a case of needing lots more practise or if i should try another system.also obviously i am not ready yet to advertise for clients but would this sort of qualification be acceptable for working with,i am grateful for any advice as am totaly baffled! and want to do this proffesionaly or not at all,i am a hairdresser already so know the importance for a spot on service. thanks

I think you need lots more practising. Use what product to have to practise with once that has gone look into all the products or buy sample kits before buying the whole range as this could be a costly mistake. I think that the 4 days star nails courses are fine, but you need to check if that would cover you for insurance purposes. Does you college do a nail technology course, it way well be worth finding out as they will start in september. I learnt how to extensions at college. But I have never stopped learning since then adn this site has helped to! There is noting stopping you offering a manicures and pedicures to start with, and then adding nails on when you feel that you are ready. :D Keep going :D

thankyou,thats really encouraging already as quite confidant doing manicures/pedicures

Hi Laura,

I think you've made a good start by learning manicure and pedicure first. I leapt straight in and tried to start doing nails, but found I had to go back and learn manicures to be really confident.

As Beautybonanza says you can always offer manicures and pedicures first and then add extensions at a later date.

I'm sure others will tell you how they found their StarNails training. Personally, I trained with Creative Nail Design and loved every minute of it. The course includes a nail trainer which has been invaluable! If you don't have one I would reccommend getting one to practise product application.

It can get discouraging when you get problems with nails lifting and so on - I know I've been there. This board is great not only for learning, but for support and encouragement when you feel it's getting tough too!

Best of luck,

Karen

thanks,ive saw those,ill get 1

Hi Laura,

I also used the star nails vf21. I could not get on with it at all, I had lifting all over zone 3 and nails seemed to ping as and when. I perservered for a few months and then changed over to a different supplier. I got a sample kit from nsi and have never looked back, I have no problems with this at all. So my advice would be to keep working at your vf21, if you find your still getting no where after a few months get a sample kit. All of the companies sell them around about £6 - £10, on my part it was a very good investment

Have a look in the 'wanted' section or on ebay. There are often used ones up for sale.

As I said you get a hand trainer with the 4 day Creative foundation course. You can also buy them separately from Designer Nails and Essential Nails sell them too.

Best wishes,

Karen

thanks i feel enthusiastic again and got a few ideas 2 keep me going

Oooh hope this works (first timer here!). Just to say that I noticed on the Professional Beauty 2004 website that Essential Nails are offering £50.00 off one of their Home Learn Courses at the show (presumably paid for on the day). Which means that you would get the nail trainer + all the technical support etc for whichever course you chose to do. Don't know if this is remotely helpful, but hey!!

laura hunter said:
hi,im so glad i found this site,ive been wondering who to ask or where to go for advice.last year i did a twelve week manicure and pedicure course at college which i really enjoyed so i went on to do a 4 day technician course with star nails using vf21 acrylic,i finished the course no probs but lost a bit enthusiasm bacause i was finding it so hard,ie nails not staying on and stuff,i dont want this to go 2 waste and would like to get back into it but dont know if its just a case of needing lots more practise or if i should try another system.also obviously i am not ready yet to advertise for clients but would this sort of qualification be acceptable for working with,i am grateful for any advice as am totaly baffled! and want to do this proffesionaly or not at all,i am a hairdresser already so know the importance for a spot on service. thanks
Hi Laura: you took the same route as me. I did the 12 week man/ped at college then went on to do Star Nails 4 day course then nail art. I used their traditional Performance and also couldnt get on with it. I moved over the Ezflow and for me it works like a dream. Much easier to work with so defo dont give up and try a few sample kits to see which one you like. Btw i have my insurance through Professional Beauty.

Hi, i have to say i agree with Caz, i also trained with Star doing a 6 day total technician course where i did, manicure, acrylic L&P and Nail art. I used the Performance L&P and found it hard to get on with. I now use EZ Flow and find it easy tp apply, needs minimal fileing and doesn't smell as strong as star L&P.

Sometimes its worth giving a new product a go as its not always what you are doing it could just be the product. I have tried the vf21 and didn't like it at all, but different things work for different people. Try something else wether its EZ Flow or Creative and see how you get, you can get try me kits from most company's.

excellent,cheers for all the help,ordered a backsctratchers trial 2day and going 2 get some more,didnt even realise u could get most in trial sizes until now,pretty sure im not doing anything wrong so hopefully get on better,def report back how it goes xxx

Don't forget Excel................. you have lots of companies at your disposal and can then decide which products are the best for you personaly................
There will be lots of Demos and you will be able to see how products compare.......

I love all the shows and demos lol.........nail heaven for me

Hiya!

I'm doing things back to front I guess! I completed my 309 NVQ in Artificial Nails in May, then I did the Creative Conversion Course. Since then I've not looked back - Ab Fab! No lifting and they stay on!!!!! H'ray. Also my clients are alot happier.

I'm doing my Pedicure/Manicure at college starting next week........ told you I was back to front!! Just felt that Manicure treatments weren't covered enough on my NVQ and quite interested in getting stuck into feet too!

Some of the girls I went to college with were using the Star Nails Systems and they weren't happy with them at all. I'm not dissing Star Nails as I personally have never used them but if the system you decide to go with is anything like Creative, you'll be well on your way to a happy life as a Nail Tech.

Best of Luck.

Sherry.x

unfortunately i wont get down to excel for the professional beauty as im going down in

october for the hairdressing show,hopefully be some companies for nails at that 1

although prob not as many xx

Hi laurajust to let you know that your not alone,i trianed with star nails, i did their 6 day complete technician course,then went on to do their 4 workshops as well,in VF21lyte,i didnt get on at all, i got a lot of lifting from zone 3,so i tried thier performance,and still get the same problem ive come to the conclusion after reading so many other people having the same sort of problems with star nails products that i m going to try some other sample products from the show.Hope this is of some help,pm me if you want to swap notes ,good luck.

Tracey

Latest posts

Back