Double dipping makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam1206

Reaction score
I did the Oonagh Boman Makeup course a few years back, but due to circumstances haven't really done anything with it until recently. In half way through my NVQ L2 Beauty and have become very aware of cross contamination and double dipping.

But here's the thing, during this very expensive and well known course we were taught a few things that I am now questioning.

Mascara - we were taught to use the mascara wand, and not a disposable one as the mascara wands included on the lid are the best to use and that disposables are no good. She said that you can tell if someone has an eye infection and if there's nothing visible it's perfectly ok.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this? She's a very well known makeup artist so I'd like to think what she says is true but my basic (and still learning) knowledge on cross contamination is saying it's not ok! There are other things, for example eye liner gel. Surely I should be scooping a small amount out of the pot to use?

I did o.boman as well. I use disposable wands. I use a spare eyeliner wand and clean it between clients. I was taught using fingers and she teaches with foundation brushes now so im not sure her methods were always 100%

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes she taught me to apply foundation with my fingers also! And cream blush with fingers, but surely that's also double dipping when I put my finger back into it?

Anybody any tips around this?

When u say a separate eyeliner wand do u mean for gel eyeliner? X

You should always use disposable mascara wands, lip wands and sponges as you have no idea what infectious diseases etc your client could have or they might not be aware they have an infection or infectious disease.

You could be spreading viruses and Bactria from one client to another by double dipping and what you are doing is dangerous and irresponsible.

depending on the stage of an eye infection the client may not show visible symptoms so you could infect others.

You are putting your clients at health at risk and if they catch something and trace it back you, you could end up in court being sued and I doubt your insurance company will pay out as you were not following correct hygiene procedures.

Use pallets or clean hands. Scoop amount needed on palettes or on back of hand. Use clean brushes and defo disposable mascara wands

Yes she taught me to apply foundation with my fingers also! And cream blush with fingers, but surely that's also double dipping when I put my finger back into it?

Anybody any tips around this?

When u say a separate eyeliner wand do u mean for gel eyeliner? X

You need disposables For eyeliner, mascara, just about for anything really

Use disposable spatulas to scoop out the product and apply with disposable sponges

If you are applying anything with your fingers there is a risk of cross infection for both you and the client, especially if you or they have broken skin on the fingers or face.

Last edited:
Absolute no no for double dipping into mascara. Viral and bacterial infections are sometimes not noticed in the very early stages so whilst quietly harbouring an infection, the therapist is transmitting it from client to mascara tube to another client!

Mascara tubes are dark, warm and liquidy traps for germs to multiply.

I appreciate that the mascara wands are designed to help the mascaras performance but there are websites where one can purchase different shaped mascara wands to aid this.

As for gel liner, back of a cleaned and sanitised hand or a clean makeup palette using a fine angled or straight liner brush.

What you are all saying makes total sense, and I'm glad I did a beauty course before starting up the make up again to make me more aware of cross contamination.

In actually really cross and disappointed now that I look back on my makeup course. The O Boman is a bloody expensive course so it would be nice to be taught properly!

What you are all saying makes total sense, and I'm glad I did a beauty course before starting up the make up again to make me more aware of cross contamination.

In actually really cross and disappointed now that I look back on my makeup course. The O Boman is a bloody expensive course so it would be nice to be taught properly!

I think o bowman needs to go on a re fresher training course herself as her teaching methods are way out of date and are putting clients at risk

Dont double dip anything ever, even if it's a face mask your taking out and putting on the back of your own hand, you know you hands clean and healthy you still wouldn't dip that spatula back in would you? It's just the same.. Best not too! Your in such a suing society these days x

I also REALLY detest (in fact it makes me feel sick) make-up artists taking the make up from the pot, wiping it on the back of their hand, swirling it around on the brush then applying the make-up, dead skin, bacteria and whatever else they have, to a clients face....make up palette only for me when i'm using or applying...... just a pet hate...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am disgusted that someone would suggest using a mascara on various people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am disgusted that someone would suggest using a mascara on various people.

I have never heard of her too, however after reading this thread I would never I hire anyone that's trained with her due to disgusting and quite frankly dangerous techniques she teaches.

I have had one or two girls come for trade tests and interviews from *************** and apparently they teach the same disgusting habits there.

They used their forearms as a palate and double dipped constantly through out the trade test.

vile...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hygiene phobia over mascara.

The disposable wands are poor tbh.

You could build up a collection of brand wands which you thoroughly sanitise before use, and use 2 per application if you are layering, or, and this may cause debate, ask the client to bring her own. However some people keep mascara for months, and you may not get a good or hygienic result.

Fingers are fine for application of other cosmetics, as long as they are clean and washed again before re-dipping.

Double dipping is a massive no no and I can't believe a professional MUA would tell you that it's not. You can't always see an eye infection!

A metal spatula and a palette are a couple of quid and you can sanitise them between uses. Not really worth the risk.

I have to say, I was taught to use the back of my hand and my arm as a palette. But haven't looked back since I bought a palette. It's a much better idea as I think it also saves a bit of wastage too.

I watch a lot of youtube videos and it's fine when the MUAs are working on themselves with their personal stash, but when I see them use a disposable mascara wand and tell everyone it's for hygiene but then double dip their brush into a concealer palette, or cream shadow, or lipstick - it freaks me out!

I have the beauty so clean sprays which apparently work on powders and creams but I always use a spatula for anything creamy or liquid.

flinching at this thread!!

There is no excuse for not using a disposable mascara wand! If you hold your disposable in there for a couple of seconds and give it a swirl it will coat it properly.
My tip is cut cotton buds in half, keep in a plastic wallet and use the plastic half to scrape out products. Quick, easy and low in cost. :)

While I would never double dip a mascara wand , I don't even use the same wand on both eyes I do a fresh wand for each eye :) I just can't understand how using the back of your hand as a palette or using you fingers to apply or blend something can be seen as bad practise ??

I have no problem admitting that I regularly apply moisturiser to my clients using my fingers and also blend in under eye concealer with my ring finger , seriously guys is this health and safety gone mad ??

While I would never double dip a mascara wand , I don't even use the same wand on both eyes I do a fresh wand for each eye :) I just can't understand how using the back of your hand as a palette or using you fingers to apply or blend something can be seen as bad practise ??

I have no problem admitting that I regularly apply moisturiser to my clients using my fingers and also blend in under eye concealer with my ring finger , seriously guys is this health and safety gone mad ??

I think it depends on how you were trained. I am like yourself and use the back of my hand as a pallette which tends to free up both hands to work. I simply sterilise my hands with alcohol gel before doing a make-up application...if it's good enough for doctors, it's good enough for me. I was originally trained in theatrical make-up where hardly anything is pre-blended, and you are using a combination of grease and aqua bases which need to be blended by eye to get the right effects...this would take forever on a pallette and would slow you down.

With commercial make-up I will often blend 2 foundations or liquid moisturisers together, same with concealers, especially when doing contouring, and again, the back of my hand comes in as the pallette.

With powders such as eye-shadows etc I use a pallette or even a piece of tissue if needs be - anything that will remain flat.

And like yourself, a new mascara wand for each dip.

I agree, nothing wrong with using hands. This is common with top make up artists and they don't get any complaints. But I do always ask if the client is ok with me using my hands. I remember my tutor encouraging it as she said we'd get laughed off set if everything was done on a palette. I only really use them for mixing certain shades when I know it will get too messy on my hands and I want a clear representation of what the colour is.

However, I would still NEVER use mascara on someone withot disposables and I woudn't use liquid liner/lipgloss with the attached brush etc.

Latest posts

Back