Double dipping?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVStylist

Reaction score
I studied at the Aveda institute and we were told never to re-dip the spatula after using it on a client but when I went and studied at another local beauty school they said it was ok to double dip the spatula. I'm confused. What is the best way? I've heard bacteria can be killed if the wax is at a certain high temperature. Could I double dip and then turn up the wax to kill bacteria after finishing on a client?
I don't want to cross contaminate and get anybody hurt or sick but I'm also environmentally conscious so I don't necessarily like to use a bunch of spatulas either? Anyone have any suggestions?

Don't double dip and don't split spatulas' unless it's for tiny areas like upper lip or brows. Just source cheap spatula's and throw after each dip. By the way, splitting a spatula isn't double dipping.

I've read many conflicting theories on double dipping but I don't double dip because I just don't like it and also clients don't like it and they notice these things nowadays. HTH's.

I use a metal spatula for leg waxing only, so technically I guess that is double dipped. But once an area has had the hair removed, if I need to put a bit more wax on I use a wooden spatula and toss it after 1 use. I use wooden spats and never double dip for all other areas.

I use a metal spatula for leg waxing only, so technically I guess that is double dipped. But once an area has had the hair removed, if I need to put a bit more wax on I use a wooden spatula and toss it after 1 use. I use wooden spats and never double dip for all other areas.
I also use metal spatulas for general body waxing as I find you get a much thinner application when doing larger areas like the back and the legs etc. But I use several spatulas and don't double dip them. I just pop them into some solvent and then clean them when I have a break.

I teach this way. Only apply wax to the cleansed area and don't go over the area with the metal spatula once you have started to remove the hair and wax. If you need to re-apply more wax to that area then use a wooden spatula to apply and throw it straight away.

I teach this way. Only apply wax to the cleansed area and don't go over the area with the metal spatula once you have started to remove the hair and wax. If you need to re-apply more wax to that area then use a wooden spatula to apply and throw it straight away.
Yep I learned it from you Kim :)

Don't double dip, if I was a client and saw the spatula had been used on somebody else I wouldn't have the waxing done. I always keep a couple new spatula's on show so they can clearly see everything hasn't been used before, looks more professional. I know the heat from the wax pot will kill most bacteria, but why risk a complaint over using another spatula? 1 Box of 100 = £1-£2.50 - 100 clients, paying for another spatula is penny's.. :)

Just to be clear, double dipping is using the spatula once only, so dipping, applying the wax and then throwing the spatula away. You should be using far more than one spatula per client.

clients most certainly are looking for this nowadays, I advertise my salon as having a strict no double dipping policy and it has attracted a lot of new clients.

spatulas are the cheapest material to buy in when it comes to waxing so for an extra few pence per service you gain the trust of your client instantly that you are doing your utmost to provide the best waxing experience possible

I use wooden spatulas. I keep one in the pot, get a generous dip and pour it onto the 2nd spatula which is then used on the client. That way, only 1 spatula is used on the skin and only one is used for dipping. I hope that makes sense.

I was taught the same as kami Kate, one spatula in pot, one spatula used on client x

Just to be clear, double dipping is using the spatula once only, so dipping, applying the wax and then throwing the spatula away. You should be using far more than one spatula per client.
Yes that's right..
Even with the metal spatulas I only dip each one once and use several metal ones for each client

Latest posts

Back