Double Drawn hair extensions, what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seancollinshaie

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts regarding double drawn hair extensions, I've been dealing with hair extensions since I started training 6 years ago, and trained then started applying them from 4 years ago. I have never ever heard of double drawn hair and I've seen it in clients hair and I think it's all a marketing thing. It seems to me you either have poor quality hair or good quality hair, or you have thin (0.5g hair) or thick (1.2g) hair. I've researched it and found some places saying the same thing. I also have clients asking me if I do "double drawn hair extensions" and I am not sure how to answer so tell them "no, I've been dealing with hair extensions for 6 years and haven't heard of this" is anyone else having these issues and feel the same?

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

You get single drawn and double drawn.

I think the most easiest explanation is say you have 18 inch hair.
Single drawn means that's the average length of the hair, so you will have a lot of shorter hairs which means its thinner at the ends and can look straggly.so you can end up cutting a bit from the bottom to try and resolve it.
Double drawn means that in most cases 90% of the hair is 18inch meaning the hair is thick root to tip.

If this makes sense?

Here's a picture I stole off google for an example :)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379323021.307600.jpg xxx

I keep seeing posts regarding double drawn hair extensions, I've been dealing with hair extensions since I started training 6 years ago, and trained then started applying them from 4 years ago. I have never ever heard of double drawn hair and I've seen it in clients hair and I think it's all a marketing thing. It seems to me you either have poor quality hair or good quality hair, or you have thin (0.5g hair) or thick (1.2g) hair. I've researched it and found some places saying the same thing. I also have clients asking me if I do "double drawn hair extensions" and I am not sure how to answer so tell them "no, I've been dealing with hair extensions for 6 years and haven't heard of this" is anyone else having these issues and feel the same?

OMG, words fail me! I guess this post is here on purpose to wind everyone up!

When drawing hair, a hank is placed between two brushes wrong end up. It is placed a measured distance from the operator. All hairs that reach that length are pulled out.
Next lengths are then pulled separately, and so on, until you get to the short bits.

It ensures that all say, 18 inch hairs are that length, with no shorter ones creeping in, which would make it straggly at the base line when applied.

I'm sorry I'm just not understanding this, should all hair extensions not just be double drawn? I suppose it's all to do with budget etc. but aswell as fitting Hair Extensions I am a hairdressing professional and this has only became very current but I do think it is all marketing to make products sound better than others as opposed to just being confident in the product and letting it speak for itself.

Thanks for trying to help me understand guys much appreciated. I'll just stick with the amazing training I Received from Great Lengths and use the knowledge and support from their hair extensions and team.

I'm sorry I'm just not understanding this, should all hair extensions not just be double drawn? I suppose it's all to do with budget etc. but aswell as fitting Hair Extensions I am a hairdressing professional and this has only became very current but I do think it is all marketing to make products sound better than others as opposed to just being confident in the product and letting it speak for itself.

No not all extensions are double drawn. Even top brands - again not all. It doesn't just effect 'budget' brands. X

If you csn come on here, you can use the internet, hence you can use google, ergo you can educate yourself. It's scary to think that people have salons and don't know basic things like this.

Oh yes, and another thing: because of the scourge of hair that can only be described as 'tapering' or 'rat's tails', clients think they need a ginormous amount of hair when the average person will need 120-150g of double drawn hair. Unfortunately, clients increasingly see themselves as God, ie all-knowing. If you use the aforementioned amount, you are ripping them off, since that's your only goal in life-to rip everyone off. Misinformation and a lack of knowledge found in many hairdressers contribute to this, which is really a very bad thing.

Eeek. What a negative thread to stumble upon when im in such a good mood.
The OP was only asking. Yes, he can use google. So can we all. So why does Salon Geek even exist? Just google it. NO. Its here so no matter what our opinions, out level of training or our Experience, we can ask questions, and put out opinions to other professionals. Hopefully without the fear of being shamed, moaned at, or told we 'should' know something already.

Manners cost nothing.

Eeek. What a negative thread to stumble upon when im in such a good mood.
The OP was only asking. Yes, he can use google. So can we all. So why does Salon Geek even exist? Just google it. NO. Its here so no matter what our opinions, out level of training or our Experience, we can ask questions, and put out opinions to other professionals. Hopefully without the fear of being shamed, moaned at, or told we 'should' know something already.

Manners cost nothing.

Sorry but it's more than weird when people who have salons and have been in this field for a long time don't know basic things like this. I could understand if it came from someone who recently qualified, but this is a bit too much.
Also stating that double drawn hair is a 'marketing thing' boggles the mind.

Sorry but it's more than weird when people who have salons and have been in this field for a long time don't know basic things like this. I could understand if it came from someone who recently qualified, but this is a bit too much.
Also stating that double drawn hair is a 'marketing thing' boggles the mind.

So he genuinely didnt know. It's not common knowledge, how hair is prepared for wigs and extensions. All it takes is a little explanation. Given some of your recent pronouncements about extension hair on here, which are tragically misinformed, I don't really think you are in much of a position to berate someone for their lack of knowledge in quite such a strong manner.

Just sayin..

So he genuinely didnt know. It's not common knowledge, how hair is prepared for wigs and extensions. All it takes is a little explanation. Given some of your recent pronouncements about extension hair on here, which are tragically misinformed, I don't really think you are in much of a position to berate someone for their lack of knowledge in quite such a strong manner.

Just sayin..

I guess you are referring to the origin of the hair used in extensions. Yes, I have my opinion on things, and I'm by far not the only one. If my opinion is so tragic, please correct me, I am open to learn new things. This has unfortunately never happened, and I do wonder why. So why not tell me where I am going tragically wrong once and for all?

I see no need for this to blow up into yet another squabble on the hair Forums.

The OP has every right to ask a question and expect a civil answer from his fellow professionals.
If you can't be civil then don't answer.

As for telling someone to google for an answer :rolleyes: given that people have been known to pst a thread asking the opening times of their local suppliers on here....surely that was a joke?

Thanks to those who did explain clearly, so even this non Hair Geek learned something too.

I see no need for further discussion, and if anyone want to discuss previous comments on other threads...Take it to PM

This is genuine European hair, cuticle correct and intact. Purchased today. Contrary to what you claim, it does exist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Here's another bit. Illustrates beautifully what double drawn means. The end is as thick as the root. Comes from Spain, it's uncoated, and cuticle correct.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 235
Thanks for the relevant help guys, kinda regretting posting on here now. I think I might just remove my Salon Geek account now didn't come on for an argument just to ask a query. How and ever I do run a very successful business and do well in terms of extensions etc with the brand and method of application I use. We all do things differently and carry different knowledge, I do now however feel a bit insulted and uncomfortable on here. Again though thanks for those with relevant helpful replies, much appreciated.

Thanks for the relevant help guys, kinda regretting posting on here now. I think I might just remove my Salon Geek account now didn't come on for an argument just to ask a query. How and ever I do run a very successful business and do well in terms of extensions etc with the brand and method of application I use. We all do things differently and carry different knowledge, I do now however feel a bit insulted and uncomfortable on here. Again though thanks for those with relevant helpful replies, much appreciated.

Some people can be awful. Just ignore it all. I think it's a relevant question, I wasn't taught drawn hair in my training it's things I've picked up. And if your used to certain suppliers that never mention how the hair is drawn your not expected to know.. People come on here for advice not to be snapped at and doubt your professionalism. Sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully in the future you get kinder responses.

Well to be fair, I had no ideas what double drawn meant either abd only here of it recently and u have been researching and buying hair extensions for years :s
I never knew there were so many mean people in here. I asked a q about colour the other day and was told to "look at my colour chart?!?"
If u don't genuinely want to answer the question then don't bother!

Hey hun, there are lots of meanies on here but there are alot of nice people too worth staying on for for, if someone posts a negative reply to you,please ignore xxx

Latest posts

Back