Double/triple punctuation, is it necessary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably being thick but I can't see it, I use the app on my phone

I'm not sure how smilies work on the phone app, so perhaps someone else can help you with this specifically, although I do know several phone apps require the use of Salon Geek through Safari or Tapatalk at the same time.

i didn't think this was an english lesson!!!!!!!!!
As your first message on here was nasty just because you don't agree with there opinion!

I respect the fact you don't like pretty things but no need to be nasty
🙀

So a poster is 'nasty' because they agree with the OP and don't share your view of what constitutes professional etiquette?

I think it's you who needs to grow up and stop being so petty.

Fluffy bunnies and pink things xxx

I am probably being thick but I can't see it, I use the app on my phone
If you can't find them then you can use the appropriate symbols and words to create the emoticon eg. : g r e e n : or : h u g : for :green: and :hug: although the symbols and words must be typed immediately next to each other to get the smilie face.

Another thing, I think you can only use a maximum of 3 smilies in any one post.

Hope that helps.

Now somebody may wish to correct me here, but I think the reason external emoticons should not be used is because certain ones were causing problems with the smooth running of the website.

That is correct. External smilies could contain viruses which could affect the entire site, and in turn all of us who wish to use it, so think on please.

A site rule taken from a previous set, which should still apply IMO, is that posts should not resemble the Vegas Strip with multiple smilies or multiple colours.

I have been guilty of a few exclamation marks at times and when I use my phone to post I often miss an apostrophe here and there. I will then re-read and try to edit as much as possible quite simply because it annoys me that I have made this error in the first place, albeit a small one. Noodle has an opinion which some agree with and some do not and it is yet another situation where "no one answer will fit all". It is fine to disagree, but I feel it is how we disagree that becomes the problem.

That is correct. External smilies could contain viruses which could affect the entire site, and in turn all of us who wish to use it, so think on please.

A site rule taken from a previous set, which should still apply IMO, is that posts should not resemble the Vegas Strip with multiple smilies or multiple colours.

When you say external emoticons do you mean when you create a smiley face/shocked face yourself using the keypad? Or again am I being thick

Does it even matter? It's not hurting anyone!

When you say external emoticons do you mean when you create a smiley face/shocked face yourself using the keypad? Or again am I being thick

No, creating them with your keyboard is fine. It's external smilies or emoticons downloaded from other sites which often cause problems.

If you can't find them then you can use the appropriate symbols and words to create the emoticon eg. : g r e e n : or : h u g : for :green: and :hug: although the symbols and words must be typed immediately next to each other to get the smilie face.

Another thing, I think you can only use a maximum of 3 smilies in any one post.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, that all sounds quite complicated! I always try and ensure that I post carefully with correct grammar and try to think before I post if something that I have written can be misunderstood or taken in the wrong way. I also try to think if what I have posted is useful and constructive especially if it is a criticism. I do often create a smiley face/shocked face to lighten and express myself but I do this using the keypad like this :-0 (forgive me for inserting one) is that what is meant by external ones? Or something else completely.

Edited! Just spotted Noodles answer regarding keyboard faces after I had posted. Thank you.

Last edited:
Gone are the days of pen and paper , witch is good as salon geek would just not nave worked.

I honestly believe that the excess or loss of punctuation in typed is probably the gateway to modern day graphology .

We can no longer dot our "i" with a ring or heart .
Our writing comes directly from our minds ,
like our accents or pronunciation within our speech patterns.

Maybe something about the personality of the excessive punctuation user rubs you the wrong way noodle ? ;)

<3 love is like the magic penny .

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I personally think this is a rather pathetic post. So what I'd people use a few extra ! Or ? Or may not use capitals in the correct places and the odd spelling mistake!? Does it really matter? Does it make them less 'professional' at their jobs? Does it mean they won't get the same advise? NO it doesn't. Just because people use smilies from other places does it change that person? No. Using other smilies also will not carry a virus.

Seriously, nothing better to post?

On the up side .......!!!!!!!!?????? Lol.

I personally think this is a rather pathetic post. So what I'd people use a few extra ! Or ? Or may not use capitals in the correct places and the odd spelling mistake!? Does it really matter? Does it make them less 'professional' at their jobs? Does it mean they won't get the same advise? NO it doesn't. Just because people use smilies from other places does it change that person? No. Using other smilies also will not carry a virus.

It would matter on an Application Form though and would look unprofessional but that's another story. As for on this forum, I suppose it depends on the view of the person reading it.

I think you are missing the point about the smilies and emoticons in particular. As already mentioned and as Noodle has confirmed, they once caused a big problem here on Salon Geek, way before your time on here. The site was not functioning properly because geeks were introducing external emoticons and Samuel Sweet had to do a lot of tweaking and fixing to get it sorted. I remember when this happened.

I think some people forget that Salon Geek is here because of the very person who set it up for our benefit much to the cost of his own pocket and he has moderators in place to help him look after it. It is not too much to ask that we respect the moderators requests. Noodle's request was polite and in no way antagonising. There have been occasions when The Geek aka Samuel Sweet has want to pull the plug on this helpful domain because of some of the disrespect.

It is a wonderful and helpful website with some great, knowledgeable and helpful geeks so embrace it for that and stop getting uppity or have you nothing better to post?

I think you are missing the point about the smilies and emoticons in particular. As already mentioned and as Noodle has confirmed, they once caused a big problem here on Salon Geek, way before your time on here. The site was not functioning properly because geeks were introducing external emoticons and Samuel Sweet had to do a lot of tweaking and fixing to get it sorted. I remember when this happened.

I think some people forget that Salon Geek is here because of the very person who set it up for our benefit much to the cost of his own pocket and he has moderators in place to help him look after it. It is not too much to ask that we respect the moderators requests. Noodle's request was polite and in no way antagonising. There have been occasions when The Geek aka Samuel Sweet has want to pull the plug on this helpful domain because of some of the disrespect.

It is a wonderful and helpful website with some great, knowledgeable and helpful geeks so embrace it for that and stop getting uppity or have you nothing better to post?

I think I could well agree to anything to keep SG up and running!

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand why the op has put this question to us but surely although professional, this is still a form of social networking. We should all be able to express ourselves in an individual manner.
I have to say I find salon geek a very confusing site with a lot of rules. I always use my iPhone and you can't use the sites own smiley faces. It can be ever so slightly intimidating to be told what we can and can't do, and I think this puts many people off posting comments.

Jesus!
Any more ridiculous rules?
As if a few !!!! And ???? Really matter or make a difference to this site!

... Just another thread to cause arguments!
Think it should be closed!!!!!!

&#128077;

I can see there really is nothing further to be gained here, so I am closing this thread now.

Whether you agree or disagree, my request was a simple and polite one addressed to everyone who uses the site.

As I can still post even thought the thread is closed I shall, in support of Noodle.

A lot of the posters here obviously did not read the Opening Post properly as it mentions all this punctuation in Titles and External emocions being used.

Those of you who think what's the problem with !!!! and ??? Not to mention ?!?!?! In titles it's not like it happens often!
Actually it happens a lot more than you think, but the Mods edit them out. I wish there was a knackered emocion I could put in here ;)

Titles are what Google and all the other search engines search on and the titles of threads have to look professional, and that for me means starting with a Capital letter proper punctuation and no !!!!!! This is a community for salon professionals, therefore it is important that thread titles look professional.
In the threads......express yourself however you like !!!! Angelina you are indeed the !!!! queen :)

Excessive punctuation within a thread is not a problem to me, as long as the rest of the punctuation is there also, oh and a few paragraphs would be great too, and make it readable by all of our Global membership so no text talk!
That means YOU not u :)
The emocions thing has been covered, that outside ones used to cause problems with the site. I am no longer sure if this is the case, but the ones on the site are great and can make a huge difference to the tone of a thread ;) but over use kind of confuses the issue :smack: :lick: :o but in this instance I say....each to their own.

Now could we all stop taking offence where none was meant, chill out and start thinking before we hit the send button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back