Down in the dumps...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HWilliams

Reaction score
Put an ad in local paper for 4 weeks get 5th free. 3rd week in and all I've had is a crank texted asking to massage ME!!!

Friend going to all these cheap salons then coming to me to fix it all for next to nothing.

Had a web guy come round in the week and not received all my sign up info in the 24 hours promised. Feeling a bit, done!

Advertising left right and centre but everyone moaning they are skint. So am I now I've paid for all this advertising!!!

Aaarrrggghhh aaannnggghhh mmmaaaggghhh

Feel better now :)

We all go through hard times!
Don't let it get you down! All will come together in the end :)
x

I'm so sorry to hear your having a bad time. I don't really know what advice to give you cos I'm not set up yet but I didn't want to read and run.

Have you had a look at some of the threads in the biz geek, there's some really good info on there about promoting yourself. How about old people's homes it may be worth going in doing them at a discount and giving them fliers for friends and family. Once their relatives see what a good job you do I'm sure you'll get some bookings.
Also do you have a facebook page as a lot of people say that's were most their bookings come from. Xxx

Put an ad in local paper for 4 weeks get 5th free. 3rd week in and all I've had is a crank texted asking to massage ME!!!

Friend going to all these cheap salons then coming to me to fix it all for next to nothing.

Had a web guy come round in the week and not received all my sign up info in the 24 hours promised. Feeling a bit, done!

Advertising left right and centre but everyone moaning they are skint. So am I now I've paid for all this advertising!!!

Aaarrrggghhh aaannnggghhh mmmaaaggghhh

Feel better now :)

Have you thought about joining something like groupon hon? or lavish? I personally hate orgs like these as they take a large chunk of your profits, but it can be helpful for new businesses. If you're advertising any kind of massage you will always get those sorts of texts or phone calls, I took massage off my website to deter the pervs. do you have a website at all?? There are lots of free web hosting sites out there now, wix.com, moonfruit.com to name just a couple. I managed to get a spot in local paper when I first started out and offered local businesses a 10 discount. Good luck x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Remember that August is always a slow month doll.

Cheers guys,

The crank is a crank cos all the newspaper ad says is:

Touch:
Mobile Beauty Therapy
CH4 & local surround.
Website then Telephone

I have a Facebook business page and a Facebook group, I'm on Twitter and various other sites too.

Touch Beauty for both FB's
@touch_beauty on Twitter

My website is www.touch.vpweb.co.uk

Not the greatest quality website in the World but it's cheap, easy to run and I've put a lot of work in it and I do like it :p

The thread on here for promoting is excellent and I've signed up to a few things from that advice eg FreeIndex

Been going for 2 years but moving from London to Chester meant I had to start again which has had a massive effect on me

I had a 25% discount for OAP and students and following the advice on here, I've just stopped it. Because I was just being taken advantage of by mates that expect that discount.

Sure it will get better just felt so miserable lately as deep down I do worry that I made the wrong decisions.

Thanks though, it's good to get it all off ones chest x

I've just started up. I have an ad in a parish mag and have designed some postcards on vistaprint. I was gaining 2 new clients a week in July, but this week had nothing. Everyones on holiday. So waiting until I've been on my holiday before I do more leaflet drops. Am going to put a facial special offer on my web page too, introducing Eve Taylor facials x don't give up x

This will probably sound harsh but I have spent ALOT of money on advertising and have gained nothing back. Just want to let you know so you don't spend anymore money! I've paid for a page in a phonebook, local magazine, Groupon, and have been so down about the lack of business u thought I'd get back from it.

Dont get me wrong though I think it depends on the area and clientele. Im lucky that I had alot of clients follow me from where I used to work, so moving to another city must feel really hard for you!

Facebook has worked wonders for me, and posting through doors. Offer something not many other people in your area are doing. Posting pictures on Facebook helps too! When I first started Tuesday's were so slow for me I offered 10% off Tuesday's and it soon worked!

Hi!
Had a look at your lovely treatment list and saw the area you cover.
There are some VERY affluent villages there, particularly E. My first thought is to go into the local primary and offer to do a fund-raising evening in September for their PTA; maybe mini-treatments, beauty quiz with prize, that sort of thing. I would maybe offer a treatment package, or "Get beautiful for the party season" type of promo.
Lots of yummy-mummies around.....think it might work!
Good Luck xx

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that from what you've said, and what I've seen on your website (which is great) you're doing everything right, so please don't be discouraged. Our sector needs dedicated, professional therapists like yourself. You are clearly committed to professional practise in every aspect of your work and approach your therapies and treatments with a great deal of intelligent thought, preparation and care. Anyone who gives so much of themselves surely deserves full recognition and respect. I'm sure it will all come!

My only suggestion is to keep your head up, and absolutely do not tolerate friends having treatments at discounted rates. It just isn't appropriate. When you've invested so heavily in your enterprise (and not simply financially...) and you work with such sincerity you ought to be treated as the professional you are. I've found that my friends and family respect me more and take me and my plans far more seriously once they realise I'm serious about my work and charge them full prices. Anything less and we risk being perceived as not taking it seriously ourselves and that is inevitably reflected back to us. You, your work, your skills and your commitment must be honoured, so show everyone by example.

I think you're doing brilliantly, so well done and keep on doing what you're doing!

XX

Thank you so much guys...

Really good ideas there, I shall certainly contact the 2 schools behind my house, surprising what's in front of a nose that one doesn't see LOL

The advice and comments have made me feel a bit better, going to try to meet up with a very local geek that I've started talking to on here as well this week, maybe have a cuppa and a chat while our little ones play

I guess we all really do have good days and bad days...

x

BTW I met the geek in question on Weds and she's a very lovely person.

I had a call from a lady that found me in the paper but I think she was a mystery shopper, she wanted to know what I did but didn't ask prices, wanted to know what hours I worked, said she'll have a facial on Sunday but needed to get back to me on the time and I never heard from her again. It is now Monday night...

To be fair, I may have sounded a bit cagey as I was just shocked to hear someone with a 'local to me' accent calling at first I thought it was another wind up then I was so eager so I may have put her off/not asked right questions/etc

But something or rather someone happened across me and has provided me a wonderful opportunity, not sure if allowed to discuss so won't mention anything on here but you know who you are xxx

And, onon Saturday night as I was waiting to attend mass, our priest was running late so I got talking to a lady who I've booked in for a pedicure on Thursday this week!

I am going to proceed with the church as I was thinking of sugessting voluntary file and paints for all the little ol' ladies during a cofee morning or something and then if they want full services I'll charge a reduced rate.

Also, made some cracking 'mates' on here this week so I'm not so down in the dumps anymore.

That and the fact that my team won 8-2 yesterday :lick:

That and the fact that my team won 8-2 yesterday :lick:

Haha yep that certainly put a spring in my step too!

Glad it's looking up, positive attitude as my mum would say!

Xx

Must be the weather, I am feeling so down at the mo. I just want to scream and pull all my hair out... Business slow again, frustrated with things that need doing round the house but we are renting so can't do much, Anthony has stopped sleeping in the day so by 5pm he's a nightmare, not much luck with potty training. I miss my family and friends in London and I'm getting old! 34 next Sat and what have I got to show for it? Sweet FA! Bah humbug!

Hun 34 is soooo not old and your little one dropping his sleep is hard but it won't last forever just think about when you woke up every hour on the hour when he was tiny this will be a walk in the park keep going sounds like you have a great network of support xxx

Sorry guys, just feeling sorry for myself :-( xx

Big hugs to you. I think we're all entitled to feel down once in a while. Have a good old slamming doors and being miserable session and then look at how much you've acheived and give yourself a pat on the back. It's a perfect time to promote yourself getting ready for Christmas - gift vouchers for people to give as presents? Also, could you get in touch with the local schools again...a stall at Christmas fairs? a voucher for the raffle in return for leaving your business cards? A fundraiser for the school...a flyer to each family and anyone book sees 20% going directly to the school - mention gift vouchers on there?

Hope you're feeling a bit more smiley soon x

Big hugs to you. I think we're all entitled to feel down once in a while. Have a good old slamming doors and being miserable session and then look at how much you've acheived and give yourself a pat on the back. It's a perfect time to promote yourself getting ready for Christmas - gift vouchers for people to give as presents? Also, could you get in touch with the local schools again...a stall at Christmas fairs? a voucher for the raffle in return for leaving your business cards? A fundraiser for the school...a flyer to each family and anyone book sees 20% going directly to the school - mention gift vouchers on there?

Hope you're feeling a bit more smiley soon x

A good yelling session sounds great... will do that before anything.

Got a few things going on this week so as soon as I can make some me time, I'll sort it all out :) xxx

Just looked at this again... You guys are so lovely :-x

My last post was the 7th October.

Since then, I have been so bad :-(

My nan passed away on the 22nd of October so I had to get out to Italy for a couple of days, since then, I just feel so miserable.

Had a little accident and drove into a large pothole/small crater in an unlit car park and my back is hurting me more now than ever and I find it hard to even get out of bed. I'm 34 and it can take 20 mins to get out of bed on a bad day.

I am working as much as I can and love it but so worried about everything.

Hardly got any money to show for my 3 jobs, nursery fees are killing me, we have all been ill with various viruses/bugs.

Monday, I was very ill and managed to get in with Dr, who said I had a food poisoning that I only could have got from contaminated food or water in an exotic climate. I'm 5 mins drive from the Welsh border for gods sake!

Spent Monday in tears as I was so bad, I had a few 'accidents' and felt so useless and stupid.

My son now has yet another cold and bad cough so I feel like I'm doing something wrong! He's been sick loads since September, with colds, viruses, possible chickenpox.

I know there are people much worse and all that but it still doesn't make me feel any better about things.

I actually for the first time since 2009, (when I was a bit post natal) that I thought about ending my life.

I miss my family and friends so much and am so worried about all my rent, bills, extra spends for Christmas, now terrified it's gonna snow as scared to drive in it, but still need to get to work.

I need a hug...

Sorry for being such a miserable bitch

H x

Latest posts

Back