Down to the nitty gritty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yogacat

Reaction score
I am a bit confused about grit grades for files and buffers. Could someone explain to me how the grading works? I can see that different numbers refer to different sizes of grit, but that's as far as it goes!
I suppose it might be something that is down to personal preference? Or are there standard grades for certain purposes?
I'd particularly like to know good grades to use for
*filing natural nails and toenails
*buffing natural nails, from badly ridged and thickened to fine ones for a high shine.
*some info on files for nail enhancements (which i don't yet do)
Thanks for your words of wisdom!

The higher the file, the less coarse the abrasive will be.ie: 100 is really coarse, 1200 is like a buffer.
You shouldn`t be using anything higher thana 240 grit on a natural nail whether to file the free edge or to take the shine off for enhancements.
When buffing the natual nail I still wouldn`t use anything other than the girlfriend 3 sided buffer which if I`m correct is 1200 grit, upwards.
The grading is done within a square inch (in english that is, lol) ie: so many particles of grit within that area. If you`re going to get the same amount of particles in a square inch, then to have 1200 in one square but 120 in another, then they have to be very different in the size of the grit. I hope I explained that easy enough to understand.

Yup, that makes sense - now, what about some recommendations on specific grits for specific purposes o great gurus? :biggrin: *winky smile*
Now i know which ones NOT to use, which ones are the best?

What are the thoughts on glass files? I was very impressed by these when i saw them at a trade fair, and more or less intend to get some, as they seemed to be tough (provided you didn't drop them on a hard surface or stand on them), long lasting, easy to clean, fine textured and pretty.

What's the verdict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back