Dremel Bit Question???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michark

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I am considering using a dremel, but I am finding out all info first including some training. So one of my questions is.......

What bit do you use when taking off the old product for a fill, and then which one do you use once you have the new product on?

Hope you can help.

Thanks!!!

A dremmel is a household tool used for DIY projects and should not be put any where near a nail! You need to purchase a professional e-file from a reputable supplier.

There are hundreds of NSS is Canada using dremels because they are cheaper than the proper equiptment and there are hundreds of clients that are all having damage done to their natural nails. In the last week alone I have had 4 new clients all specifically requesting manual filling cause the dremels hurt!

I have to agree, a dremel is a household DIY tool, (not that I've ever used such a thing! lol), not something that belongs in the nail industry.

I would think that even though the 'bits' look the same, they wont be, & you could cause someone some serious damage.

Dont risk it, get a professional e-file & some decent training. :)

:rolleyes: OMG i do not believe you are serious,
well i do and I'm horrified,
for one you can not control the speed of a dremel and the amount of damage you WILL cause to the clients nails is just unbelievable,
DO NOT get a dremel, buy the correct tools and get the correct training :!:

for one you can not control the speed of a dremel and the amount of damage you WILL cause to the clients nails is just unbelievable,

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I know come Christmas when those Dremmel adverts come on the telly I will be cringing thinking about this!!:eek:

OMG surely she isnt serious lou?
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I know come Christmas when those Dremmel adverts come on the telly I will be cringing thinking about this!!:eek:
geez me too, im squirming just thinking of it now :rolleyes:

just checked some of these tools can range in speeds from 2,000- 35,000 rpm ,

cant believe that loads of nss in canada are using these jackie, these people must have raw mush instead of nail plates now,

i am shocked, my hubby just looked at me with an incredulous look and shook his head

im gobsmacked,

I have used a dremel for years - NOT ON NAILS - to carve bone, and etch metal with.. you can acutally conrol the speed of them very well (otherwise they would be of no use to bone carvers) BUT they vibrate like no ones business! they are hideious to use.. infact I now use my E-file when I am carving as it has NO vibration and fits the carving bits most efiles also range in speeds from 2000-35000rpm (not that we should use them at that speed thou!)

Basically put Poster number one... I seriously hope u are JOKING!

OK!!!!:eek:

Before anyone else freaks out.......I do mean e-file!!!!!!
Sorry for the mix up.
I also do craft work and use a DREMEL for that. I would never use that on nail beds.

And like I said before I would get some training.

Now that I've corrected the situation can anyone help me?

I suppose its like when i say i am going to Hoover (which is a brand name) when really i should say vacuum , as my hoover is a dyson!

just checked some of these tools can range in speeds from 2,000- 35,000 rpm ,

cant believe that loads of nss in canada are using these jackie, these people must have raw mush instead of nail plates now,

i am shocked, my hubby just looked at me with an incredulous look and shook his head

im gobsmacked,

Yup seriously Nicky they are every where over here and a lot of nail damage is being done - talk about rings of fire!

I had a foot doctor (what are they called:confused:) to use a Dremel on my toe when the nail came off after I droped a kitchen cabinet on it, it siad dremel on the side of it :eek:. I was terrified when he was taking my nail off all I could thing of is how clean is that bit.

Thanks Sandi I had a moment of memory loss there :lol: I thought of everything but that.

Thanks Sandi I had a moment of memory loss there :lol: I thought of everything but that.
I call it a 'senior moment' and you're not alone lol :wink2:

A dremmel is a household tool used for DIY projects and should not be put any where near a nail! You need to purchase a professional e-file from a reputable supplier.

There are hundreds of NSS is Canada using dremels because they are cheaper than the proper equiptment and there are hundreds of clients that are all having damage done to their natural nails. In the last week alone I have had 4 new clients all specifically requesting manual filling cause the dremels hurt!

couldnt have said it better myself

ROFLMAO :lol::lol::lol:

I saw the title of this and nearly chocked on my shredded wheat...:eek:

Sorry...I realise it was just a slip of the tongue and an e-file was meant...but I had to laugh my ickle socks off !!!!

Edit: Just seen that NSS salons are using this tool in Canada...oh dearie me... I shudder that people have the audacity to even contemplate it....

I do agree that Dremel's are no-no's. MOST DEFINATELY agree!
They vibrate like all get out (got one in the tool chest) and depending on the model, speeds "may" not be variable.

BUT one should remember: Dremels and E-files are BOTH rotary tools.
The primary difference between the two is the bits used, and HOW they are used. (and of course, the vibration issue). All you have to do is change collets and bits according to the job that you are going to do. There are models with variable speeds, pedals, digital readouts etc...
I'm absolutely certain that a qualified well trained technician can use a dremel and NOT cause rings of fire. Why? Because I've seen it done and a BEAUTIFUL job she did do!

I'm not trying to cause a whole hullaballoo.. I'm just pointing this out because when everyone gets all up in arms about it, it sort of cracks me up.
YES I use an efile. LOVE IT! Wouldn't give it up! Would never use a Dremel.
BUT not because it's a Dremel. But because they are bulky, unwieldly, high vibrations and they are unprofessional looking.

HOWEVER if "Dremel" came out with a model that had as minimal vibrations as e-files, and offered all the appropriate bits (which, even if they didn't, you could change the collet and bits yourself) and all the bells and whistles that Kupa or other E-file companies have for their efiles, were light weight, etc etc etc....... In other words: two identical machines(in every way). Each have a different name, one bearing the label of "Dremel".
BUT "Dremel" was cheaper...
Guess what I'd be shopping for at the Hardware store?

Name is unimportant: it's the quality of the tool and more importantly HOW it is used.

Just some food for thought.

E-Files are very common in the US. And well, very common in Montana.. I use one and yes they are often referred to as Dremels or drills!! lol But they are for Nail Professionals and our training is included with our Nail School.. They range in cost from $400 to $600. It is becoming very popular to use them in all aspects of doing nails from prepping, which I might add, should be illegal here.. all the way to buffing.. I use my e-file to do rebalances only.. I have no problem with friction burns as long as I make sure my drill bits are in good shape.. I have full control of the speed of my machine.. With proper training in the use of a e-file you should have no problems..

And I just have to say how MANY freaken burn victims I get from other techs who use a regular file, techs getting in a big hurry and filing too fast, causing red ridges all the way down their nails after every rebalance.. My clients like the fact that I use my electric file for part of my service as they don't feel that it is as hard on their nails.. The back and forth motion ya know.. I have at points shyed away from the use, but have been asked to use the e-file more.

So point being if you are a well educated nail tech you make things work, if you are not, you end up hurting your clients regardless of your technique.

Oh and as far as what bit I use.. I use a medium grit long barrel bit for everything..

They are used in the UK too by some penny pinching techs.
I had one used on me years ago and the particular salon still allows it.

Vibrate like anything - really set your teeth on edge.

Fortunately i my fingers are still intact.:green:

Latest posts

Back