Dress return advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone had any advice for me. I'll try and sum up briefly and thank you for reading!

My daughter ordered 2 dresses online in the New Year and after trying them on, neither was a good fit so both were returned, labels all on etc.

Today one of them was returned to her with a letter stating their quality control dept had found make up on the lining and were returning it for her to keep and will not be refunded. We've had a good look and can only find a teeny bit of what may be talc on the lining, which has brushed off with my hand.

I'm not sure how we stand here. The other issue is that the all over sequins are attached in such a way on the back that it gives a square effect, see pic as I'm not explaining well. We never noticed this but then I don't think we really looked st the back much, either that or they've returned to us a different dress (but same style).

If you're still reading - thank you! Any advice on how to handle?
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453330605.646693.jpg

If you still have a receipt (or delivery note etc) just take it back into a store. They never really bother checking the items so much! Especially if you go in on a busy day [emoji6]

It's online only - a site called Motel Rocks. But thanks :)

I'd ring them I had a look at their site ( I'm working a night shift and bored lol ) there is no reason why you can't return it , they say not to wear make up , body spray perfume etc but she tried it on and you said the little mark came off so there shouldn't be an issue , I hate things like this they say they accept returns but trying to get one is like trying to get blood from a stone ! Ring because this isn't fair x

like lydia im on nights so just had a quick check of the website. i would call them and speak to someone regarding the issue. if they state that they will still not accept the dress back then raise the issue as a complaint with them and then also put this in writing to the company. when issues are raised to complaint level they 'should' be investigated internally to see what has happened. ask them to contact you once the complaint has been resolved. if the answer is still the same then advise them that you will be taking the matter further. this may need to be small claims, trading standards etc.

Yes I do feel like they're really nit-picking. Trade must be slack if they're turning every returned item inside out to look for a reason not to accept the return?

My first thought was to put it on eBay and try and sell it but after taking photos, I noticed the demarcation lines in what should be an all over shimmer and I'd say it's faulty, nobody would buy it off me like that.

I wonder if we'd be better emailing as then it's in writing from the start and nobody can deny having a conversation? Plus it's in my daughters name not mine and she's 16 and def won't be up for ringing although I'm sure we can put her name at the bottom of an email.

Their letter goes into great detail about the site saying you should be careful not to wear make up, fake tan, perfume or deodorant when trying on their clothes as they wont accept anything with a trace on it! Id say that's a tad unreasonable isn't it? And like you say, as it came off easily there shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your replies x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453358691.257765.jpg

This is how it should look

in fairness to them they do have a right to say that returned items must be in sellable condition which does mean no make up self tan etc on the clothes because your returning the clothes because they dont fit, not because they are faulty. however if you do believe that you were sent another dress that you did not return then yes you need to take this issue up with them. with regards to phone calls as far as im aware they do have to be recorded, i would also record the conversation on my phone so that they cannot dispute what you have said. as i say best to call first as usually first communication needs to be made via phone call then follow up with emails. then go down the written route if your not happy with the conclusion of the call and given your daughters age they should speak to you. if not stay with your daughter on the phone and walk her through what needs to be said to them.

I understand and would never expect to return a marked item :).

Perhaps you could consider sending it back again.
Email them advising you are returning the item again as you have checked the dress for make-up marks as per the advice note your received but there ARE no make-up marks. You are perplexed that they returned the dress in the first place and would like them to refund the cost of the dress plus the postage and packing for sending it a second time.
You might add that on inspecting it closely yourself there seems to be a fault ... this is not a complaint, just an observation.

Like previous poster I would phone first and speak to someone ask for an email address too to send the picture to as I would say there is a fault in the way it's been stitched to make the square shape you can so blatantly see on the picture x

I'd probably completely ignore the make-up issue as it muddies the waters unnecessarily unless you want to state that you can see no evidence of make-up and so assume that this is a genuine mistake on their part.
Take several photos of the dress inside and out before returning it as evidence of its clean unworn state.

In your reply tell them that the dress has an obvious manfacturing fault (post picture and explain the fault) and that you are exercising your right to cancel under the Consumer Contracts Regulations and you'd like all your postage costs refunding too.

If goods are faulty, you can always return them, subject to a few minor exceptions.

Keep the letter short and to the point and get your daughter to sign it as she's the one with the contract with the company.

Thought I'd update this as I completely forgot to - refund given in the end and thanks for all the help & advice

Latest posts

Back