Drills - YES OR NO???!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tisha

Reaction score
I recently posted a question asking for advice on which drill to buy as there are so many on the market nowadays.

I have to say, after reading the replies I got to my question I was put off drills and decided not to buy a drill (although at work I do use the drill for backfills as I feel my times are being noticed and that makes me conscious about taking too long).

However, I've almost finished my college course and yesterday we had Steve from Young Nails (you may have read the article in the July Scratch magazine about Young Nails) give us a demo of his products and he brought his drill!

I must say that Young Nails products were very good, he was amazingly informative and helpful and gave us lots of tips. He is a trainer himself and runs training courses on various things including the correct use of the drill.

Well, I have to say that I have been converted...AGAIN! He explained how using the drill correctly, with the correct bits, would be less damaging that a normal nail file can sometimes be. Eg, when using a new file you have to be careful not to cut the client's skin around the nail etc.

He also showed us some amazing nail art techniques using their coloured powders and liquids. The techniques were so simple and quick and yet so effective. With an additional 10-15 minutes of your time you could provide some lovely nail art and charge more, thus making your time more worthy.

We have been using NSI products thrughout our college course and needlees to say it's just easier and simpler to stick with the producst that you have been taught with, and we have all stocked up on our NSI products. However, Young Nails products were v.good, not overly expansive.

Almost all of us are keen to change to Young Nails and if anyone else wants to try out the products or training they are based near Blackpool and so mail order - the wedsite is www.distinctivenails.co.uk. Although there are no prices on the website you can call them for a catalogue on +44(0)1253 789 729.

I have not really seen any nail techs on here that have used or use Young Nails and thought I's share this with you all.

Ta....

If it is as good as it sounds then it looks really good, I like that tiger stripe desgin by the way!

Tisha sawasdee ka

I have beautifull nail photos of nails made with young nails products in our asian magazines by some young nail techs .

In beautytech america there are many ladys like young nail products and speak very good about this company and there products .

About the drill i have looked at techs use drill very good and there are webs sites about drill use and education .

Mui

Hi ,

Well, I was convinced by Steve's demo - and not because he was a good sales person for the company but because he didn't even try to push his products on us, he just demonstrated and urged as as new technicians to try out different products on the market and only settle for one that you are comfortable with and one that gives perfect results.

I think that's important for us new technicians - we are too scared to try different things or convert to different systems. Also Young Nails don't ask you to attend one of their courses before you are able to purchase thewir products. As long as you are a qualified technician, you are able to try out their products, which I feel is good for those of us who want to try out different products (of course not using them all together!) but don't have the money for, or don't want to go on conversion course before we have had a chance to try out the products.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

young nails finish is one of my favourite products. also their colour acrylics are superb, really rich colours.

sawasdee ka

www.aefm.org is a web site have e file education .

Thank you mui

I have nothing against electric files, but it worries me when you aren't sure if someone using one has had the correct training. As long as you know the right techniques ,then off you go.

It is very true about finding the right product for you. I traineed with Star Nails products and have been ok with them till now. As developed an allergy to their monomer had to find something else. I tried creatives L&P and EZ Flow as well. I then found with EZ Flow i can produce the best nails i ever have done so just goes to show that its not always you, it can be the product not being right for you.

HI Angel fingers - Yes the coloured acrylics are gorgeous - they have the neon range and the colours are fab.

I use NSI coloured acrylics at the moment but the thing I find annoying is that the powders don't come out the same colour that they look. m There is a green which look quite nice but as soon as you pick it up with some liquid it goes a darker green - this I find quite misleading - whereas with Young Nails coloured powders, they are exactly the same colour as they will be when used with liquid - it just make's life a bit easier!!

Steve did some lovely coloured acrlyic art - I will have a go and post some pics up when I can

Hi Tisha
I have been using Young Nails for around two years now after converting from NSI I heard that the founder of NSI UK started Young Nails UK and Distinctive Nails. Im sure it was Steven's sister...Jayne.
Anyway your soooo right about their informative attitude towards training and conversions etc. Sometimes there are educators who hold a little back and your left feeling they haven't quite covered everything. I found this with another product company, who will remain nameless as they're mentioned quite a bit around here....
Anyway. YN is a great product for me. Excellent colour. Easy to work with and V.V. realistically priced. When you compare prices in the States you realise just how much some of these suppliers in the UK are charging. It's ridiculous!!!
There are Nail Techs however who really believe that the cost of a product is in direct relation to how it performs. Soooo not true! Young Nails is proof of that.
NSI and YN are priced around the same as the States. 32oz liquid £55..1oz Gel £30. And neither of these charge the earth for P&P either. Sorry to go on, but it gets my goat a bit....
One last thing though Tisha... They're coloured acrylics are excellent you're right about that. THE COLOUR YOU SEE..IS THE COLOUR YOU GET! And you can mix it with Gel too!
By the way...If you do decide to buy your drill from YN. They included free training with someone I know.. Im sure it's all included in the cost!
Lucy

I am amazed at the cost charged for P+p and the actual cost

One prime example tht springs to mind is recently I ask for a try me kit, of which I paid around £5 (not that I mind that) however the P+p was a stagering 4.95 and the actual cost 26p, okay you could add in the cost of the envelope, but what about the rest.

I did in fact ring up the company and voice my disgust and they said it was policy and that the packages were all sent out recorded, I then pointed out that no they are not as this one wasnt and how angry I was at being ripped off in such a huge way, and that it was a very poor first impression of such a very well known company. Also to the fact tht I was not told about the extortionate p+p cost BEFORE they charged my card.

Tisha said:
HI Angel fingers - Yes the coloured acrylics are gorgeous - they have the neon range and the colours are fab.

I use NSI coloured acrylics at the moment but the thing I find annoying is that the powders don't come out the same colour that they look. m There is a green which look quite nice but as soon as you pick it up with some liquid it goes a darker green - this I find quite misleading - whereas with Young Nails coloured powders, they are exactly the same colour as they will be when used with liquid - it just make's life a bit easier!!

Steve did some lovely coloured acrlyic art - I will have a go and post some pics up when I can

Sawasdee ka

We do this all the time when we have a new color we dip the brush in liquid and after in the powder and put the color on the fa top of the powder container so the customer can see the color .

Thank you mui

sawasdee ka

some thing that we love is you can mix the ezflow glitter powders so when a customer have set of nails and we have mix MAYBE they have color no body have the same .

Origional only for that customer :biggrin: .

Thank you mui

Sawasdee Ka Mui,

That's a good idea - I will try doing that (outting a bead of coloured acrylic on the top of the tub so Customers can see what colour it). It owuld not only help the customer but myself as well as the NSI coloured powders can be quite misleading (as I mentioned earlier)!

The NSI colours can be mixed together too and the provide a colour chart which you can use to mix upto 80 different colours - and then you can add the opal shimmer glitter as well to make them glittery - it's all good though I just LOVE the neon range at YN.

Lucy - I was thinking about buying the drill from them but thought I'd have to pay more for the training - would you PM me the details of who provides the free training. Ta.

Yes, I think you're right - Steven's sister Jayne is also part of the YN crew - they're ace.

sawasdee ka

About the e file i sit one time for 10 day in a salon in Bangkok the owner was in America for 7 years and they use the e file like a artist they were very very busy and they teach me with the e file for 10 days 80 hours .

I do not have a e file because i do not have the money to give now for a e file but later i will buy and i have some education video come from America in 7 days more i will look first .

I see in america MANY lady speak good about e file and they speak for back fill they do not know how they can work the same b4 with no e file now is so easy .

For me i think if e file in bad hands is very bad but i think the same give some body a hand hand file with no training is the same .

EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION i have give you the e file web site al ready i think i see uk the same as education in usa same .

MAYBE some companys not want ladys to use e file why because they can not sell abrassive boards MAYBE .

Thank you mui

Hi Tisha

YN and Distinctive Nails provide free drill training with every purchase of their e file. They also include drill training with both their Foundation / Advanced and Refresher Training Courses...so not only do get a Foundation certificate, but also an e file certificate!!! Two courses rolled into one.. Superb dont you think.Apparently they dont like to just let just anyone lose with an e file
I love the idea of a bead of coloured acrylic on the lid to show your customer the true result. YN now have over 70 colours and kits. Complete with mixing recipes!
Their glitters can be added to any of the neon, metallic, pastel etc. to give an extra sparkle. Funkadelic and Glitterina can be added to their UV top coat and then used on both acrylic and gel enhancements - or just mix it with pink acrylic powder. Every thing works and mixes with eachother at YN..Thats why I like it so much. You can even create a gel tip and acrylic overlay!!
Hope this helps.. If not, give them a call. They have always been so helpful and they'll probably tell you more than I can
Good luck

Latest posts

Back