Drinking Alcohol in pregnancy, your thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what i mean by luck, i suppose luck of the draw really !
You never know what could happen and everyone and every foetus is different but why take the risk when there is a life involved?

My children haven't got bad chests now and none are athsmatic (I am) but 2 out of 3 had bronchiolitis as babies.
I always wonder if it was my fault because I smoked. I did cut down but it's not the same as giving up.

I'm not a 'drinker'. We don't even have anything in the house, unless you count cough syrup?

It's not that I don't appreciate the occasional beer..... I just don't go looking for it? If a friend is serving it, I 'might' have one, or I might choose coffee instead.
Did I drink during my pregnancy? Not at all with my first. One drink with my 2nd at a huge family function/celebration (it was a glass of half beer, half gingerale).

I think what is key to note that anything in excess is BAD. Also, the rare single glass of beer or wine is not going to hurt a pregnancy. In fact, mother's with trouble lactating are urged to have the occasional beer.
GETTING drunk or drinking on a daily basis is ENTIRELY another story.
Heck, there are other things that can be worse, like many meds taken daily... you'd be surprised at how many things sold over the counter are unsafe.

Do I smoke? YES, like a chimney. Have I tried quitting? MANY MANY times and I'm a downright scarey nightmarish screaming lunatic with I do.
I 'tried' quitting with my first pregnancy, my blood pressure shot sky-high with the stress and doctor told me to cut down instead as my blood pressure was more dangerous than having 6 ciggies a day.
Is this controversial? Yes, but so are the fumes being spit out of cars, busses, trains, trucks and manufacturing plants. They're not so great for us either (and don't get me going on pollution :lol: ).

I'm not excusing it though. PLEASE don't misunderstand. It's a nasty habit, and I WILL quit... I keep trying....

Did I smoke during my 2nd pregnancy? Yes.
Did I smoke while nursing? Wellllll not while they were attached to my chest, that's for sure. I'm not in the habit of smoking in the same room as my children.
And while I commit the 'sin' of smoking during pregnancy etc... I have seen other moms who DON'T smoke take less care of themselves than I did, eating crap and junk instead of the healthy food their babies needed, or limiting what they ate because they didn't want to get fat:rolleyes:

BUT both my girls are the healthiest lil critters you ever did see. Neither have asthma or allergies or anything. Neither ever got 'mega' sick, never have needed to go to the hospital (unless you count ear infections my eldest had while in daycare).
They were both healthy sizes too, one got stuck on the way out. THAT was not fun:irked: :cry: .

ALSO it depends on the smoker. Some smokers skip meals and this is what brings about ultra tiny babies with health issues. I am not one of those. I LOVE my food, though you wouldn't know it by the size of me, and I can pack it away. I blame my hollow leg:lol: .

So, if I saw a pregnant woman with a group of family or friends at a special function, enjoying one solitary drink. I would not give her "the look".
If I saw a pregnant woman enjoying a game of pool in a bar (that was me LOL not so easy, gotta tell ya) while sipping what looked like a mixed drink (it was a soda mixed with grapefruit juice and grenadine) I would not make assumptions.

ok heres my story..

i didnt stop smoking wiht my son...i did cut down but found it impossible to stop..i have been smoking since age 16!!

altho i did realise this is not good for baby it is an addiction after all.
anyhow the point im trying to get to is...i had him full term,he was a healthy good birth weight of 7lb9oz his apgar score was 10/10 and has never sufferd from any chest,or breathing problems.

i know this isnt the case for some people and i don know all the dangers about smoking..aswell as smoking whilst pregnant.

maybe this gives a little hope out there for pregnant mothers that just cannot kick the habbit totally no matter what. xx

i think this is a difficult one, i have given up smoking and drinking immediatly ive known i was pregnant (8 times!! ),

:suprised: :suprised: 8 times!!! :Scared::Scared::Scared:

Rather you than me hun!! :hug:

If Judy & Cathie can be so honest, then so can I...
I smoked my way through all three pegnancies. I never felt proud of myself while doing it, but i did'nt manage (try) to give up. I did cut down though, a lot.
Drinking was no problem, the smell turned my stomach. I had no more than a glass full in total for the entire pregnancy (the most recent one), and very little in previous pregnancies. But I'm not a drinker anyway, it makes my face burn & stomach churn! lol
I know we know better nowadays, but I remember growing up in foggy fag smoke filled rooms, eyes streamin & everything :eek:
I can at least say I've never done that.

I think what is key to note that anything in excess is BAD.

Thing is though, even pasisve smokers will suffer from the chemicals that occur in cigarette smoke. whereas alcohol is just alcohol. Yeah in excess it can damage your liver etc, but IMO smoking even just one cigarette is putting all those chemicals in your body. Hell, even sittin in a pub/club for an evening is just as damaging. I know i feel like crap after a night out even if i havnt had a drink.

So any smoking to me, is as bad as excessive smoking.

JMO.

=]

Thing is though, even pasisve smokers will suffer from the chemicals that occur in cigarette smoke. whereas alcohol is just alcohol. Yeah in excess it can damage your liver etc, but IMO smoking even just one cigarette is putting all those chemicals in your body. Hell, even sittin in a pub/club for an evening is just as damaging. I know i feel like crap after a night out even if i havnt had a drink.

So any smoking to me, is as bad as excessive smoking.

JMO.

=]

Totally tue. I'm not saying it's right, just being honest (as you probably guessed I always am). x

I don`t think it can really be compared to being pc ! Its about the life and health of an unborn child, maybe someone who can`t have children should give their veiws as i`m sure that would put it in perspective. Luck has a big part to play in all this!

i really think thats a little unfair you saying lets get opinions from women who cant have children...of course they are going to do anything in there power to get a child!

the run of the mill jo average down the street will also do everything in there power to protect there unborn child. that said it isnt that easy.

i do understand what you mean cathie...smoking is blammed for thousands of things these days...who knows..a man of 70 dies of lung disese thats never touched a fag in his life...then again a man dies of old age thats never touched a fag! i think its all down to the person and there body!!

jmo of course but i do think this world has gone a little crazy..i do believe that we should be free to do as we please within reason.

i do smoke but cannot stand fag smoke near me whilst eating so would never light up in a restarant etc...

sorry rant over. x

i only ever had a couple of malibu n cokes while i was pregnant , coz i dont really drink anyway it was only if we went out for a do, xmas or b.day and like i say i only had 1 ,
i couldnt conciously drink a lot while pregnant, it just freaks me out , my mum was drunk when she went into early labour with me , which really makes me feel ill :irked: poor mum god rest her soul had a lot of probs when she was having me so cant reallly blame her but it does make me wonder if thats why i am so small and was born nearly 3 months early !!
my god i feel bad if i drink shandy when my kids are in bed but i suppose i have my own issue there !!

i really think thats a little unfair you saying lets get opinions from women who cant have children...of course they are going to do anything in there power to get a child!

the run of the mill jo average down the street will also do everything in there power to protect there unborn child. that said it isnt that easy.

i do understand what you mean cathie...smoking is blammed for thousands of things these days...who knows..a man of 70 dies of lung disese thats never touched a fag in his life...then again a man dies of old age thats never touched a fag! i think its all down to the person and there body!!

jmo of course but i do think this world has gone a little crazy..i do believe that we should be free to do as we please within reason.

i do smoke but cannot stand fag smoke near me whilst eating so would never light up in a restarant etc...

sorry rant over. x

Ok i didn`t say `lets get opinions from people who can`t have children` in that way, i said it would put things into perspective if someone in that situation was to give their veiw....... and i know that couples in that unfortunate situation would do anything to have a baby....... but i don`t understsnd having why anyone would risk the health of their unborn child! Like i said i have been a smoker and i am a drinker too, but if pregnant i know i couldn`t bring myself to do either of these things.
I agrree that everybodies body reacts differently and some people who have never smoked die of lung cancer etc etc..........i also agree that we should be free to make choices as adults but i can`t help feeling sorry for the unborn child that has no choice !
One last thing!....none of us can really help breathing in pollution etc but we do have a choice weather we smoke toxic chemicals that just MIGHT ( and thats the gamble) damage our children!!
I hate disagreeing with people on here as its a happy place but i feel stronly and can`t help but say how i feel just like other people have their veiws..............and it is just MY veiw!! :hug:

I've had nothing more than a tiny splash of wine, in the bottom of a glass, topped up with sparkling water, no more than 4 or 5 times, all the way through my whole pregnancy, and I'm 39.5 weeks today.

However, interestingly enough (for this thread anyway), I saw my midwife today, who knows I am now getting REALLY fed up and frustrated, and she told me to go home and enjoy a glass of wine tonight. She said the good it would do in relaxing me far outweighs any risk to the baby at this stage because all her growing is done, and very little passes through the placenta at this point that the baby doesn't need.

OK it was still a very small glass....but it tasted absolutely GORGEOUS! Not a habit I shal get inot though as I intend to breastfeed, so will keep it at very small amounts.

I don't smoke, and won't even go in smoky bar whilst pregnant....I used to, but packed it in years ago. Went cold turkey after 25-30 each day ...never had another cigarette since. For me it just wasn't hard to stop because I really truly wanted to....I think if you really want to stop you will. If you just think you ought to stop, then its going to be a hell of a lot more difficult to break the habit. I wouldn't presume to judge at all....but I'm so glad I stopped a long time ago before it became an issue in pregnancy.

When pregnant first time 17 years ago I drank every weekend but stopped when i found out I was pregnant at 12 weeks and I stopped smoking too, smoking made me feel sick so was easy.
Second pregancy didnt drink at all but did smoke and couldnt stop infact smoked more. Yes I did feel gulity and still do when I think of it both my babies were good birthweights the youngest was over 8 pounds and didnt ever have any chest problems So I thank god I was lucky.

I need to add my two cents here.

I strongly oppose the consumption of any alcohol during pregnancy. I have worked with far too many children that have serious learning and behaviour problems as a result of FAE and/or FAS. Even one drink is one drink too many!!! If you drink during pregnancy, whatever part of the brain that is being developed at that time can be affected. It is so sad to see these children, innocent victims because of irresponsible decision making. Sorry if I come across so strong but over the years I have seen the devastating results. I have worked with both young children and teenagers that require constant supervision because they have so much difficulty.

There is a great deal of research in this area and it cannot be ignored. We need to educate ourselves and others about the devastating effects that alcohol has on the developing fetus. It is our duty to protect the children!!

While I agree that smoking is bad bad bad etc...........
I do NOT argue with that. I agree 100% (while I don't put as much blame on cigarrettes for different things as some do, since there are other environmental factors that contribute) and have recently set forth a plan to quit AGAIN. I do NOT want my kids smoking. I don't like the stink. I don't like what it does to my health... blah blah blah. Hate the damn things, and hate being addicted to them. I've been smoking since I was 9yrs old. YES, NINE years old. I'm now 36.

After having said all of that, I would sincerely LOVE to see the public get this upset over the pollutants that their cars are spitting out, trains, planes, manufacturers, etc.......
No one is giving up their cars to save the world for their grandchildren.

I think if the average joe complained more about pollution in general....or at least put as much effort into anti-pollution campaigns as they do anti-smoking, our world wouldn't be at such risk right now. As it is........ gosh knows what will be left of this world by the time our grandchildren are adults.

There simply is no such thing as fresh air anymore, whether you smoke or not.
When someone is yapping at me "you're polluting my air", all I can think is "you hypocrite, you're polluting your own air with your #$%^& car".

I'm sorry, it had to be said. If we're all being honest here.
I know we've had smoking debates before.
And all I see come of them is people get upset or annoyed with this one or that one for their views.

Smoking is like religion and politics... not a great thing to discuss amongst friends.

But, I've shared my views and will take my hits.
:hug: :hug: :hug: to everyone, I enjoyed reading the varying opinions.

I didn't drink through any of my pregnancies and I don't smoke anyway.
The main reason why I didn't drink is I have a friend who's brother suffers from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and the results are devastating especially when you can see them first hand.

Every woman has her own opinion on drinking and smoking during pregnancy and I respect that but from the point of view of the child I think it's a little selfish. When I was pregnant it went so fast I didn't miss the tipple I used to have a weekends and I felt better than ever.

As soon as i found out i was expecting i stopped drinking all together and stopped smoking.

I started smoking again after 6 wks on the midwifes recommendation,i was very ill with side effects and with drawl symptoms,i am still to this day disgusted with my self,and my son has mild asthma.

As for drink,i was not addicted so therefore i saw no sacrifice and the smell turned my stomach.

The night before i was induced i had half a larger and that was all i had throughout my pregnancy.

:suprised: :suprised: 8 times!!! :Scared::Scared::Scared:

Rather you than me hun!! :hug:

ive been pregnant 8 times, not got 8 kids though or given birth 8 times arrgghhhhh lol, only 4 times and ive only got 3 kids, (just had 8 pregnancies), just before you think im 'theres was an old woman who lived in a shoe' rofl :lol:

what an interesting thread this has been, its been good to read so many different sides to the story, thats what i love about this place

nicky xxxxx

Ok i didn`t say `lets get opinions from people who can`t have children` in that way, i said it would put things into perspective if someone in that situation was to give their veiw....... and i know that couples in that unfortunate situation would do anything to have a baby....... but i don`t understsnd having why anyone would risk the health of their unborn child! Like i said i have been a smoker and i am a drinker too, but if pregnant i know i couldn`t bring myself to do either of these things.
I agrree that everybodies body reacts differently and some people who have never smoked die of lung cancer etc etc..........i also agree that we should be free to make choices as adults but i can`t help feeling sorry for the unborn child that has no choice !
One last thing!....none of us can really help breathing in pollution etc but we do have a choice weather we smoke toxic chemicals that just MIGHT ( and thats the gamble) damage our children!!
I hate disagreeing with people on here as its a happy place but i feel stronly and can`t help but say how i feel just like other people have their veiws..............and it is just MY veiw!! :hug:

hey hun my intensions werent to make you feel horrible for diagreeing thats wht this is all about.

i know first hand about people that cant have children my best friend is the same...her and her husband have been thro hell and high water to get pregnant.

im sure she would walk over hot coals to have children.

all i was stating is...i think its an unfair assumption of people if society frowns unpon women that smoke during pregnancy..as someone mentioned before..there are other health issues to stopping ie blood pressure ect...it just isnt as cut and dry as people think!

sorry if i offended anyone that wasnt my intention xx:hug:

I only found out I was pregnant after 3 months (still had periods etc...) and so by the time I knew, I was more stressed than before and so found it really difficult to stop smoking.

I cut down dramatically from 20 a day to under 10, but I know it's still not good. My daughter doesn't have a bad chest or anything and is quite chubby for her age! My Mum smoked with my sister, me and my brother and me and my sister are 5'8 and my brother is 9 but looks like a 12 year old! I'm not saying it's right, but in my experience it hasn't affected any of us - in size anyway.

I didn't drink when I was pregnant as I'm not really a big drinker and didn't even think about it. I too saw women who were 8-9 months pregnant down the pub walking around absolutely leggless!

I think cutting down is the most important thing - as some women are pressurised into quitting and so end up drinking and smoking more.

Heather
xxx

Latest posts

Back