Drinking Alcohol in pregnancy, your thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even one drink is one drink too many!!!

Is there not alcohol in other things, such as medicine? Surely a small amount of alcohol has no real negative phisiolgical effects on the body.

I have never drunk alcohol during any of my pregnancies or smoked (this is my 4th pregnancy) I am not a big drinker even when im not pregnant though. I gave up smoking when I found out I was pregnant with my first. I believe in trying to give your baby the best possible start you can and for me it was giving up those things. I dont believe that one glass of wine etc would hurt every once in a while though.

I used to smoke and have smoked since having my children now and then. I've given up each preganancy right from the start but i wasn't ever a heavy smoker. As for alcohol with my first pregnany I had the odd alcopop, I was 19, drink tastes have now matured, with my second I was in the middle of a divorce so was incredibly stressed and had horrendous morning sickness so did have about four cigarettes during my pregnancy. With my third I was relaxed and didn't have any drinks or cigarettes. Pregnancy is bloody hard work and we're not all perfect. I would say if you can do without do without, and if you really can't at least try to cut down on things.

meant to add i don't ever smoke around my kids and its generally only when i'm out for a drink, old habits die hard

When I was pregnant I had a major craving for ICE COLD LAGER - god it was heaven in a glass!!

So I used to treat myself to 2 bottles of lager on a Saturday night - bloody gorgeous.

Ciggarette smell made me pukey througout my pregnancy

i didn't drink or smoke through my pregnancy....i do recall getting sloshed on vodka jelly 2 weeks before doing the test though!
i personally thought it was best for me and my baby not to smoke or drink whilst being pregnant but i wouldn't judge anyone else for making a different choice. each to their own.

After having said all of that, I would sincerely LOVE to see the public get this upset over the pollutants that their cars are spitting out, trains, planes, manufacturers, etc.......
No one is giving up their cars to save the world for their grandchildren.

I think if the average joe complained more about pollution in general....or at least put as much effort into anti-pollution campaigns as they do anti-smoking, our world wouldn't be at such risk right now. As it is........ gosh knows what will be left of this world by the time our grandchildren are adults.

There simply is no such thing as fresh air anymore, whether you smoke or not.
When someone is yapping at me "you're polluting my air", all I can think is "you hypocrite, you're polluting your own air with your #$%^& car".

Well I know it's a totally different country and a totally different topic but why won't Bush sign on the dotted line against global warming and greenhouse gasses?

A thought just popped into my mind.....

And before I share it: please keep in mind, I do NOT advocate drinking during pregnancy. I have nothing against the odd one glass here or there. But generally, I see no need for it.

Having said that.....playing devil's advocate here....

I was thinking back over history.....
If we look far back enough, before coffee or tea were available to common folk. Before anyone over 5yrs of age ever drank milk....because at one time, adults simply did NOT drink milk and saw no need for it.
They drank alcohol or water. Wine or beer or similar. At every meal.
Granted, getting drunk is not great. But I'm assuming that pregnant mums as well as everyone else was having their single glass of wine with their meal.. and for the most part, I don't think ill came of it. At least for those that drank in moderation.

Just some food for thought.:wink2:

A thought just popped into my mind.....

And before I share it: please keep in mind, I do NOT advocate drinking during pregnancy. I have nothing against the odd one glass here or there. But generally, I see no need for it.

Having said that.....playing devil's advocate here....

I was thinking back over history.....
If we look far back enough, before coffee or tea were available to common folk. Before anyone over 5yrs of age ever drank milk....because at one time, adults simply did NOT drink milk and saw no need for it.
They drank alcohol or water. Wine or beer or similar. At every meal.
Granted, getting drunk is not great. But I'm assuming that pregnant mums as well as everyone else was having their single glass of wine with their meal.. and for the most part, I don't think ill came of it. At least for those that drank in moderation.

Just some food for thought.:wink2:

But so there were so so many infant deaths and children who died very young back then for many reasons due to lifestyle and medical care (or lack of) so maybe this was one of the reasons too , i guesss we will never really know but we ARE educated now!! :) :)

I just think that the advice on alcohol during pregnancy is quite woolly as it varies so much from midwife to midwife, doctor to doctor and website to website. Not really sure what luck has to do with it though.

My pregnancy file from the hospital said one unit a night!!!!

But so there were so so many infant deaths and children who died very young back then for many reasons due to lifestyle and medical care (or lack of) so maybe this was one of the reasons too , i guesss we will never really know but we ARE educated now!! :) :)

Oh I agree, I was just playing devil's advocate:wink2:

But, the human race survived :lol:
(ok, now I'm thinking of that crazy email that says "you know you were a child of the 70's/80's if... where we did all sorts of 'dangerous' things and yet we're still here LOL like riding bikes without helmets and piling 12 kids into the back of a stationwagon :) )

Seriously, I do agree that smoking and alcohol should be no-no's during pregnancy.
I'm not poking fun. I just had that thought re: history pop into my head..

ok, I'm off to bed. It's like ummm 12am here and past my bedtime

:hug: :hug: :hug:

i was 17 when i had my son and didnt know i was pregnant till i was 5 months gone as had periods throughout
but as a 17 year old i was partying most nights getting drunk etc i did give up beer when i found out and my son is now a healthy 18 year old with no chest probs
i stopped drinking with my other 2 but couldnt stop smoking but did cut down and even now we dont smoke in the house at all

my midwife told me that the baby is like a parasite lol pulling nutrients that he needed and not to worry as stress was worse for him

From the news today, seems like you are also putting the health of your unborn at risk if you are over weight!

I went to work with my boyfriend on saturday, he's a DJ and there was a girl probably no more than 17, very pregnant, chain smoking and doing shots with her friends... later on she was in the toilet sobbing as boys were turning her down because she was pregnant...
I just felt sorry for her unborn child. Not having been pregnant myself and not being in the situation myself I can't really comment. But I would definatly not drink during pregnancy. 9 months really isn't that long.

I went to work with my boyfriend on saturday, he's a DJ and there was a girl probably no more than 17, very pregnant, chain smoking and doing shots with her friends... later on she was in the toilet sobbing as boys were turning her down because she was pregnant...
I just felt sorry for her unborn child. Not having been pregnant myself and not being in the situation myself I can't really comment. But I would definatly not drink during pregnancy. 9 months really isn't that long.

Sounds like a mixed up kid to me.

I haven't read all the replys but I didn't drink (or smoked) when I was pregnant with both my girls.

My opinion is that it is only 9 months and I'd never forgive myself if something awful had happened, I would of always wondered if it had been my fault.

Teri x:hug:

Latest posts

Back