Drinking Alcohol in pregnancy, your thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hope

Reaction score
I have always totally stopped drinking when I have been pregnant, but while I was on a pregnancy website today this is the info they give on drinking alcohol while pregnant

the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists say 'it is recommended that women should be careful about alcohol consumption in pregnancy and limit this to no more than one standard drink per day'.

So what do you all think?

Who has totally stopped drinking alcohol like me?

Who thinks moderation is the key? (go on convince me one glass of wine won't do me any harm :) )

I drank no alcohol at all before 12 weeks, after that I would have one glass of wine on a weekend (and not every weekend either)...... That was it. IMO if you can't sacrifice 9 months of your life without alcohol you don't deserve a child.....

Tbh, with my son I really missed a glass of wine but with my daughter I felt so rubbish I didn't drink wine at all. I had the occasional half of Guinness - that's all I felt like!

I never touched any at all for any of my pregnancies. Its such a small sacrifice to make, and babies are a gift that should be cherished.:hug: (IMO)

I dont agree with drinking alcohol during pregnancy. If I am aware that I'm pregnant, then I would definitely stop.

However, if a woman is unaware that she is pregnant for some time, and still drinks alcohol, but stops when she does find out, then thats fair enough.

The other issue is not so straight forward.... what if the woman is an alcoholic? I am sure she may not be able to stop completely from drinking .....

If someone knows they are pregnant and still drinks (and they are able to control it), I think its a bit unfair on the baby but at the end of the day, its their choice. They would have to live with the consequences of harming their own child.

What about smoking?:)

I only ever had 2 drinks in my whole pregnancy. One for my friends 18th when I went to Darlington for a night out (taboo and lemonade) in August and the other one was a taboo and lemonade again in October for Chris's sisters birthday.

Although I did have quite alot when I was about 3 weeks pregnant for my birthday (I didn't know I was pregnant and didnt suspect it) which I deeply regret.

I usually go out down town every Thursday and EVERY week there is a lass taht looks about 7-8 months pregnant who ALWAYS has a drink in her hand in EVERY pub! :irked: :irked: :irked: This really annoys me as I do not think that it is right at all.

I mean fair enough they are alcopops but they are still alcohol.

Sorry about the rant just my opinion

What about smoking?:)

I do not agree with smoking during pregnancy at all. :smack: I thinks its a horrid habit, but that's only coz I don't smoke LOL

2 of my friends smoked and found out they were pregnant, both of them gave up straight away and neither of them have gone back to it, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Then again my mum smoked when she was pregnant with me and I turned out ok :eek::green:

So so far you are all of the same opinion as me :hug: . I too feel that if you can't give up for 9 months for the sake of your baby then that isn't great. I am not even drinking coffee.

I feel very strongly too about smoking, my brothers wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant and hasn't stopped smoking and both my Mum and I are very :irked: , although it isn't our place to tell her what she can/can't do so we have had to bite our tongues

IMO if you have a look at the studies on FAS (foetal alcohol syndrome) I think that would change anybodys mind on the effects of drinking through pregnancy. I saw a documentary on it once and when you drink the placenta doesnt filter the alcohol so the baby recieves it at the same strength your body does.

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

this is a website i found - its quite graphic but informative on the dangers of drinking throughout pregnancy -

vicky xx

However, if a woman is unaware that she is pregnant for some time, and still drinks alcohol, but stops when she does find out, then thats fair enough.

I was just thinking that...

I couldn't have had a drink when I was pregnant just the thought of it made me feel ill. But I still continued to smoke. Bad but true.

I would have thought that smoking was worse than havng the odd drink??

all the chemicals and nasty stuff in cigarettes cant be good, even if its just the odd one, its still chemicals and even poison if i remember rightly?

Harmful Chemicals In Cigarettes

I would have thought that smoking was worse than havng the odd drink??

all the chemicals and nasty stuff in cigarettes cant be good, even if its just the odd one, its still chemicals and even poison if i remember rightly?

Yes you are right all my babies had bad chests but I just found it impossible to completely give up.
I'm being brutally honest here.

Yes you are right all my babies had bad chests but I just found it impossible to completely give up.

everybody appreciates the honesty hun, and no one will judge you for it. We all make or own decisions wether they are considered to be good or bad, right or wrong. Thats life!

I just wanted to say my veiws are to totally give up smoking and drinking if you are aware that you are pregnant (i have had to this so know how hard it is!)!

Judy i really admire your honesty here thats a hard thing to admit xxx :hug:

I had a drink and smoked the odd fag here and there in all my pregnancies.....bad mother!!

OMG I even smoked when I was breast feeding......even badder mother!!!

All my kids are fine....no foetal alcohol syndrome, asthma, eczema or anything....

But does that make it OK.....probably not, but I think we go well over the top to be pc these days.....in absolutely everything.

Was my duaghter born with a duodenal atresia because I had the odd fag and beer when I was pregnant or would it have happened anyway, is my son having trouble learning to read and write because of the same reasons......who knows.

I had a drink and smoked the odd fag here and there in all my pregnancies.....bad mother!!

OMG I even smoked when I was breast feeding......even badder mother!!!

All my kids are fine....no foetal alcohol syndrome, asthma, eczema or anything....

But does that make it OK.....probably not, but I think we go well over the top to be pc these days.....in absolutely everything.

Was my duaghter born with a duodenal atresia because I had the odd fag and beer when I was pregnant or would it have happened anyway, is my son having trouble learning to read and write because of the same reasons......who knows.

I don`t think it can really be compared to being pc ! Its about the life and health of an unborn child, maybe someone who can`t have children should give their veiws as i`m sure that would put it in perspective. Luck has a big part to play in all this!

I went off alcohol before I knew I was pregnant (spooky!) And I don't smoke anyway. Judy I so admire your honesty hun.

But I did do a forward roll to show our then 1 year old how to do one, it was done before I could remember I was 6 months pregnant! Probably not wise but all ok!
(sorry a bit off topic there!) :lol:

well i didn't know i was pregnant until i was nearly 5 months gone and i went on a boozy holiday to ibiza just before i found out

but as soon i knew i was with child i gave up alcohol

my daughter was almost 8 weeks premature, was this down to my drinking i honestly don't know

i would say that smoking or drinking when pregnant can't be any good for mum or baby but i doubt it will stop some women from doing it

I don`t think it can really be compared to being pc ! Its about the life and health of an unborn child, maybe someone who can`t have children should give their veiws as i`m sure that would put it in perspective. Luck has a big part to play in all this!
I just think that the advice on alcohol during pregnancy is quite woolly as it varies so much from midwife to midwife, doctor to doctor and website to website. Not really sure what luck has to do with it though.

i think this is a difficult one, i have given up smoking and drinking immediatly ive known i was pregnant (8 times!! ), sometimes i could of killed for a fag, but i knew i had to be strong, a good friend of mine smoked and also had good few drinks and baby was born with many problems, whether this was because of the smoking/drinking we'll never know, but i do know she has never ever forgiven herself and it tore me apart to see her blaming herself for the babys conditions, so i couldnt risk it,

then after abstaining completly from ale and fags for my 2nd child we ended up losing him anyway, (due to hospital blunder at birth) and its a horrible thing to say but i felt like oh great ive done without for 9 months for nothing, when i fell pregnant again, i thought long and hard about it for 4 days straight, should i shouldnt i? in the end i knew id never live with myself, so again i never touched either

but then again we have a family member who has 5 boys, who drinks like fish , smokes like chimney right through her pregnancies and had 5 healthy kids!! go figure

the odd glass wont hurt especially if its a special occasion, but i think you know in your heart of hearts whether you want to take the risk or not

xxxxxxxxx:hug:

Latest posts

Back