Driving- some questions to ask

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some lessons with my first instructor when I was 18 (I think), stopped having lessons with him because he kept being late. Hubby then decided to teach me a couple of years later (BIG mistake) and put me in for my test which I failed. I failed because I done a turn in the road in 7 manoeuvres rather than the maximum of 5 but then I was 7 or 8 months pregnant and doing my test in a metro lol.

Had an "intensive" with another instructor, paid him £310 upfront he buggered off on holiday and my hubby had to phone him when he came off holiday as he hadn't bothered to contact us, he then gave me weekly lessons (funny intensive) then when I had used up the £310 worth of lessons he told me I needed "at least another 24 lessons"!!! Blooming cheek, I wasn't that bad lol, so we got rid of him, and he had disgustingly bushy eyebrows and gave me the creeps. Oh and he decided to change his car halfway through to because he didn't want to pay to use the car which had been provided.
Done another test and failed on something silly about 5 mins before the end of the test.
Had just been driving about with hubby up until about Feb when I took a few refresher lessons because hubby had booked my test again.
Finally passed my test about a month and a half ago and I didn't get one single minor woohoo.
Oh and I drive a manual purely because I love everything that goes into driving.
Ooops sorry about the essay!

Hi

I passed first time in a manual. I couldn't wait to start driving, as soon as i was 17 I was off. I had proper lessons and also my mum took me out. I did mess up my reverse on my test because there was a big grate in the road, but I just pulled forward and started again without even asking. I love driving. Me and my hubby have had a courier firm for the past six years and I've been driving a long wheel base transit all over the country. We have sold the business now though but I miss driving. We have a manual and an automatic and I like both but I would say you should learn in a manual.
Just be confident
You can do it.
Good Luck

Thanks for all your stories and support guys, much appreciated.

I will though stick to Automatic i am lazy i will admit that lol I just cant find anything that makes me want to do manual. All my family have tried to talk me out of it but Ive had none of it, I'm a bit of a stubborn one lol.

Cant wait for my lesson tomorrow I'm more excited than nerves, as i cannot wait to drive and i cant wait for the freedom, no having to ask anyone to take me here or pick me up from there.xx

i've got a manual licence, had a 2 hour lesson a week for 3 months and passed 1st time - i went with BSM.

my only advice would be to to either go on a fast track course or have 2 hour lessons, as if you have a 1 hour lesson it is virtually over with by the time you have settled into your driving.

good luck!

jue xx

I passed on my third attempt in a manual if you do a manual test you can drive either so that was why i did manual. I enjoy driving as well so that was the second factor.

reason i passed on my third attempt is my own fault really....... examiner told me i couldnt correct my self on my reverse round a corner and i knew damn well i could, so he failed me on that and i only had 4 minors for mirrors so i was as mad as hell.
I took the test in my own car and literally threw him out my car and told him to get out before i killed him, then proceeded to shout I HOPE YOUR D**K TURNS GREEN AND FALLS OFF!!!!
Second test who walks out the same bloke needless to say I failed i think he held a grudge haha.
passed on the third attempt with 3 minors

I passed on my third attempt in a manual if you do a manual test you can drive either so that was why i did manual. I enjoy driving as well so that was the second factor.

reason i passed on my third attempt is my own fault really....... examiner told me i couldnt correct my self on my reverse round a corner and i knew damn well i could, so he failed me on that and i only had 4 minors for mirrors so i was as mad as hell.
I took the test in my own car and literally threw him out my car and told him to get out before i killed him, then proceeded to shout I HOPE YOUR D**K TURNS GREEN AND FALLS OFF!!!!
Second test who walks out the same bloke needless to say I failed i think he held a grudge haha.
passed on the third attempt with 3 minors

My gosh that made me laugh :lol:

Hiya, It depends on the person how many lessons it takes, as my boyfriend started his lessons one or two weeks before me and he passed his test on friday and I am still doing mine (he also had one hour lesson most weeks, i have one and a half hours, but he did drive illegally before his lessons :rolleyes:)

I learnt with BSM when I was 18, and failed my theory test 3 times, and learnt nothing (no manouvres or anything!) but spent around £900 on lessons/tests etc. I started again in Jan (I'm 24 now!) with my current instructor and I have done all my manouvres and passed my theory first time... so I think it depends on the person and the instructor.

I'm learning in a Manual Fiat Punto (did it first time round in a manual astra and a manual corsa, he changed car half way through!!)

Last edited:
1. Manual

2. About 75 lessons :lol: (2-3 per week for 8 months)

3. Passed 3rd time lucky

P.S It took me 6 lessons to get out of the car park and onto the road :lol: i then i mounted the kerb coming out of my first juntion. I've been driving 3 yrs now and its the best thing i ever did!

I got through 4 instructors over the space of a about 3 - 4 years! The first one I had a few lessons then couldnt afford to carry on...about a year later I started again with someone else he was quite an old guy and just kept telling me off the whole time! I used to crack up at myself...for example...accidentally driving accross the pavement on a corner cos I didnt quite get the steering right...I was creased up when I did that....he wasnt...''well its not funny is it!?! what if there had been a pedestrian!'' he said...so I binned him....sometime later I started again with this other bloke but he ended up giving me the creeps....my lessons always seemed to be in the dark and hed make me drive out of town on scary isolated backroads....so I didnt stay with him for long as I felt too uncomfortable. and then the last instructor I had was a woman....thank god....I would defo recomend having a female driving instructor...a lot more patient and we used to have a good ole natter and a bit of a giggle....thankfully she saw the funny side when I tried to do a reversed park and ended up reversing into a pick up truck!

I passed 2nd time....1st time the assessor was literally like a sargeant major...he didnt talk whatsoever ...just shouted out orders...''LEFT........RIGHT......STOP!'' it was a nightmare test...I had to do everything you can think of, I did all the manoeuvres...all the roundabouts in town...dual carriage way...it chucked it down with rain and all the windows steamed up I couldnt see a thing and couldn't work out how to clear the windows lol....I failed on everything! then the second time was much better and I passed! although I think it was sheer luck I passed really...I thought i had failed..im not sure id pass it again lol oh and I passed the day before my theory ran out! x

I don't necessarily think it's a case of male/female really (a bit like who's a better driver) I just think it's luck who you get unless someone recommends someone. I only had 2 instructors (both men) the 1st was very impatient and the second was amazing. He was so laid back, told jokes, even laughed when I accidentally swore (as you know I am an angel and NEVER do that LOL) but he got me through and I have passed his cards on to so many people.

I don't necessarily think it's a case of male/female really (a bit like who's a better driver) I just think it's luck who you get unless someone recommends someone. I only had 2 instructors (both men) the 1st was very impatient and the second was amazing. He was so laid back, told jokes, even laughed when I accidentally swore (as you know I am an angel and NEVER do that LOL) but he got me through and I have passed his cards on to so many people.

I have to agree with this, I had a old guy first time round, he was alright but as time went on, he got creepy. He'd compliment me everytime I got in the car tell me I was wonderful etc. Taught me pretty much nothing, apart from how to sit at the side of the road with hazard lights on!! He told me i was to never take my foot off the clutch (which i know is wrong), shouted at me if I did something wrong, and if i hit a curb or anything it'd be 'you've just failed and killed someone' even though i wasnt on a test and there was nobody on the curb (my new instructor was horrified that he used to say that to me!) and when he wanted more money it was a hand on my leg jobby and 'treat me like your uncle' I was like... my uncle wouldnt charge me, and I quit after that...

Now six years down the line, I am with this other guy, hes much younger, I feel a lot at ease and I learn more. He just tells me off for telling myself off lol says that if i'd have done something wrong he would have told me! :lol:

I met my instructor yesterday she is a lovely lady! She's very nice but firm in a nice way. We have so much in common and have a good natter as well.

Yesterday on my first lesson i thought i would only be in back streets - i wasn't for that long she had me on dual carriage ways lol I was fine though i loved it.
xx

Im learning in a manual car
Took about 50 lessons so far and passing a test seems like a million miles away ! :(
Im just gettin really fed up now :( boo

i would do a manual test hun , coz if you pass in a test you can drive an auto but not the other way round !!!
even so i will be drinving an automatic when i get to canda and it freaks me out only having 2 pedals , lol

I started my driving lessons recently, just had my third today (manual) It's much easier than I ever thought it would be and I got in that car 1st with zero driving experience, I didn't even know how to start a car! I'm totally enjoying it though and my instructer told me today that he was dead proud because I am picking things up so quickly :D

I'm insured on my boyfriends car (not gone in it yet though) so I'll be pestering him to take me out hehe (I think he's scared lol) but good luck it's so fun isn't it?!

i learned in a manual, i done a 15 hours of lessons then fell pregnant so stopped done another 5 and failed my first test which knocked my confidence so when i went back to it i done a 2 week intense course and passed my test. I think everyone is differant it just depends what suits you personally, there is no limit to the amount of lessons people can take so just enjoy and take your time and do whatever suits you and you will be fine and driving in no time :green: good luck with your first lesson

K xx

Latest posts

Back