Driving?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJai19-x

Reaction score
I am learning to drive and I'm such a nervous driver! Did anyone else feel the same way? How long did it take until you passed your test?

:)

I was a nervous learner and passed on my second test with 4 minors ( I only failed the first time because I was parked on a zebra crossing at red lights?!) but was also practicing driving with my mum on learner insurance which really helped my confidence. I passed earlier this year but am now terrified of driving on my own, with anyone else I'm fine but on my own I just get so panicky and worry about everything, I used to be fine driving to college and back 3 times a week but in the past 6-7 weeks I have driven about 4 times and only once on my own.. I think I like the reassurance of someone else being there who defiantly knows what to do in situations etc and that safety net not being there anymore is a scary aspect for me😔
I think once you start driving on your own you gain confidence and the nerves stop, I think you just have to keep driving regularly to keep the confidence and build it for the first few months/ year of driving, unlike me who learnt the hard way and is now a nervous wreck before any solo journey!😩
Good luck with your lessons and test though!

I was fine until it came to taking my test! I was a nervous wreck, would make myself physically sick from nerves, I used to take calms and all sorts, I passed my test on my 6th go!! Even then I don't know why they passed me my instructor couldn't believe it they must have felt sorry for me ha ha, I love driving tho and drive everywhere and anywhere would be sooo lost without it! x

I was fine until it came to taking my test! I was a nervous wreck, would make myself physically sick from nerves, I used to take calms and all sorts, I passed my test on my 6th go!! Even then I don't know why they passed me my instructor couldn't believe it they must have felt sorry for me ha ha, I love driving tho and drive everywhere and anywhere would be sooo lost without it! x

Edit: I started taking lessons in the February, went in for my test in the September, but didn't pass until the following April x

I honestly was a confidant driver when I was learning. I did 6 months of lessons and passed first time with 2 minors. But I can honestly say I lost all confidence when I was on the road myself after passing. I felt I was taught to pass the test and not really to drive in real life in bigger cars (passed in a noddy car). My advice would be to take your time in lessons, try your best but go at your own speed. I wish I did pass plus also.

I was a really nervous learner. Took justbover a year of lessons and 3 attempts at my test to pass.

I love driving now! I got my first car 2 weeks after passing (same as i had done lessons in - a wee clio) and the best thing the hubby did that night was get me straight on the motorway. Totally freaking out at the time but i now prefer it to normal roads.

Just takes time to build up confidence. I still have wee moments and i passed my test nearly 8 years ago.

Xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was a pretty confident learner, but my dad took me out a few times a week to practice which definitely helped. As one person has already said, you are taught to pass the test.

When Dad took me out we'd sometimes practice one of each maneuver (regardless of how well each went) and we'd go out for a drive on the roads my instructor never took me on. A mix of country lanes, fast dual carriageways - out at night, out in the rain, out in the sunshine etc. It meant that when i came to my test i'd built up confidence on much more difficult roads than the ones my test was on.

Your confidence will come with practice. If you're only driving for 1hr a week then you're bound to be nervous. Ideally you need to be getting out on the road in between lessons.

It took me 5 1/2 months in the end, but i was having double lessons every week and out with my dad too. I've got some very fond memories of learning to drive. :)

Thank you girls for taking your time to reply!

I had my second lesson today, learnt how to do a bay park. I can't believe how much there is to learn in order to pass the test!

How did you all find the theory? Did you pass first time?

x

I passed my theory first time and found that most of the questions are the same as the ones you get asked in the practice DVDs etc, which are really good practice! But my friend is on her 10th attempt to pass her theory and she uses the DVDs and revises so I guess it's just down to how it goes on the day! Just practice the questions over and over as their multiple choice and you'll probably be able to remember them as their exactly the same in the test if you use the DVLA DVD thingys, the hardest part is the hazard perception I think but that's all the hardest to revise, good luck sure you'll be passed in no time!

I passed my theory first time and was actually the first to finish in the room. I just obsessively practiced the questions and hazard perception on the DVD until I passed every time and found on my real test there was only 1 question I hadn't seen before, so not bad. I wouldn't worry about the theory.

I passed my theory first time too, get a good theory/hazard perception DVD and practise practise practise, and read the high way code xx

How Are you getting on with your lessons? I have been having lessons for 6 months, i failed my first test recently, i had 2 minors and 1 dangerous on the independent driving part, i changed lanes without indicating! The test only lasts around 35 minutes, it goes so fast, im hoping to pass next month,
Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back