Dry hair extensions - HELP please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleL

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im a qualifed hair extension technican and have been doing extensions just over a year now..

I brought some hair extensions recently from my normal supplier and fitted them to my client. I gave her all the correct aftercare advice ect and she left happy.

2 weeks later, i get a phone call from my client saying her extensions had gone very dry and tangly and asked me what she should do and whether it could be a 'dodgy' batch of hair from my supplier? I informed her that i had never had any problems with the hair extensions i purchase and i talked through the aftercare advice with her to ensure she was following it correctly which she assured me she was. She told me she had not been straightening or blow drying the extensions so told me heat cant be the reason behind the dryness and she told me she has used lots of various products and shampoos etc lately to try and improve the extensions and i told her that this could have a reverse effect on the extensions and cause them to dry out even more.. would you agree with this?

She has asked me to follow this up with my supplier which i have done and im just waiting to hear back from my supplier to see if she has had any other problems with her hair extensions etc.

My client is not happy and wants a full refund (leaving me out of pocket!) I told her i would send an intense conditoning treatment to use first and see if it makes a difference and if not, then i would take a look at them and go from there.

Basically im just after some advise from any hair extension professionals as to what i can recommend to my client to get the extensions in better condition?

I personally feel like it could be due to lack of care for the extensions and not following the aftercare advise but its her word against mind and if she tells me she has done everything i have told her, then how am i to argue with that?!?? do i just except its a 'dodgy batch' and hand her full money back over to her? or do i tell her there's not a lot i can do if she hasn't looked after them? .. please help.. its a tricky situation and i have never had this or any problems before..

Hope someone can help as im obviously reluctant to hand her back all her money without knowing the cause of the dryness and also especially if it could be something she has done herself?!

Laura x

I don't do hair but my friend does and she does loads of extensions,
she always includes in the price a shampoo and conditioner and a hair brush,
all which are specifically made to be used with the extensions,
it does sound like she hasn't looked after them correctly and no i would not give a full refund,
i maybe would refund the cost of the profit made but keep back the amount it cost you in hair etc
hopefully your supplier will get back to you asap and help you out hth

Is it real hair and if so what colour? If it is blonde and euro hair after the cleaning process it is bleached up to high heavens to achieve the end colour, which can feel nice at first and then die a death...
Also if the length has been left as long as poss she would need to understand that long hair does tangle (especially if the hair extensions have a natural curl and her hair straight?). Nothing stops bonded extensions knotting!
I usually recomend bed head after party smoothing cream as this seems to help when dry but an intensive conditioner aswell, as the hair is not attached to the root and therefore not getting the natural oils your clients real hair gets. Did you suggest combing through her hair when she has the conditioner on before rinsing?
If you have never had a problem with this companys hair before then it does sound like she doesnt look after it...
Hope this is some help and you can work something out, it isnt fair for you to be out of pocket so i definatly agree with loubylou and say refund cost of profit. xx

Last edited:
Hi, Sometimes It can be due to faulty batches ,
I experienced similar problems like this with a hair supplier,

I switched hair company's to which I think is a far better one .
and have never had anymore problems,
I am not saying that this is the case but ,

I wouldn't give out any refunds yourself just yet,

see the link below ,
( I know it is for nails, but its a great article by Geeg, and generally the same rules apply )

http://www.salongeek.com/business/5...-complaint.html?highlight=a+serious+complaint

You will probably need to send the the extensions back to the manufacturer for evidence ,

If you have always been happy with this supplier before,
I would get in touch with them and complain about the hair on your clients behalf and for yourself ect ,

also you haven't spoken to your insurance company yet
and they may be able to give you some really good advice and support ,

as your actual work was fine, it was just the product that let you down ,

As it stands you have one unhappy customer on your hands

So you need to let her know that in order to make a complaint about the hair
you have to remove the extensions and send them back to the company
for them to find out what is wrong with the hair .

So she will have to let you take them out again so that you can do this for her ,

I wouldn't refund anything just yet
until you have spoken to your insurance company and hopefully they can give you some some good advice ,

good luck and let us know how it goes ? :hug: x

Last edited:
A policy that is effective for us, we will redo the work or provide conditioning treatments and maintenance until we recieve word about the products we used, but we will not refund money. We will make it up to them in cost of other services, usually at a lesser cost to us and a happier client for them.

A policy that is effective for us, we will redo the work or provide conditioning treatments and maintenance until we recieve word about the products we used, but we will not refund money. We will make it up to them in cost of other services, usually at a lesser cost to us and a happier client for them.

Hi , Yes this makes a lot of sense Jeni ,
and it would help the relationship with the client too :hug: x
A good conditioning treatment and blow dry when the extensions are removed might be a good starting point ,
and it could be done at a nice quiet time too ? :hug: x

hi there iv pmed you sounds like the client hasnt looked after them to me

Glad i've seen this,my next door neighbour has just been,she is wearing the glue in wefts and they are looking frizzy and dry,she has not yet washed her hair,will a good conditioner revive them ?

Thanks

Hiya becki ,
it may help , and it may not ,
as some factory processed hair is put into lots of chemicals before they are made into wefts,
and some of the cheaper wefts are usually made from lower grade hair ,

therefore no amount of conditioning will restore it if it is the lower grade hair,
but it its certainly worth a try :hug: x

Ps becki , will you let us know what happens ?

Cinderella do a really good supply of products to care for and condition, especialy Fairy Godmother Gloss Serum and Shine Spray, orange dream conditioner, I used them on hair that seemed beyond repair and it kicked back into life, really soft and silky and felt fantastic,,,fairy godmother gloss serum,,,all may be worth a try..........Defo contact your insurance as that is why we have it for times like this.......and also agree with others to remove and send back to supplier, if they wont help then they have lost a good customer and more fool them as their is so much competion in suppliers. Best of luck

Hiya becki ,
it may help , and it may not ,
as some factory processed hair is put into lots of chemicals before they are made into wefts,
and some of the cheaper wefts are usually made from lower grade hair ,

therefore no amount of conditioning will restore it if it is the lower grade hair,
but it its certainly worth a try :hug: x

Ps becki , will you let us know what happens ?

Hi, Sometimes It can be due to faulty batches ,
I experienced similar problems like this with a hair supplier,

I switched hair company's to which I think is a far better one .
and have never had anymore problems,
I am not saying that this is the case but ,

I wouldn't give out any refunds yourself just yet,

see the link below ,
( I know it is for nails, but its a great article by Geeg, and generally the same rules apply )

http://www.salongeek.com/business/5...-complaint.html?highlight=a+serious+complaint

You will probably need to send the the extensions back to the manufacturer for evidence ,

If you have always been happy with this supplier before,
I would get in touch with them and complain about the hair on your clients behalf and for yourself ect ,

also you haven't spoken to your insurance company yet
and they may be able to give you some really good advice and support ,

as your actual work was fine, it was just the product that let you down ,

As it stands you have one unhappy customer on your hands

So you need to let her know that in order to make a complaint about the hair
you have to remove the extensions and send them back to the company
for them to find out what is wrong with the hair .

So she will have to let you take them out again so that you can do this for her ,

I wouldn't refund anything just yet
until you have spoken to your insurance company and hopefully they can give you some some good advice ,

good luck and let us know how it goes ? :hug: x

Hi chick, sometimes it is possible to get a dodgie batch of hair.

More likely the lady/gent is not looking after the hair properly believe me they are good at saying yes i do this and this..

What I have done in the past twice is if a client is really not happy for one reason or another with the extensions I always offer to refund the money for the hair but not my time!

if you cannot come to some arrangement with them about the care etc I would do this!

Then maybe mention in your fliers/website or wherever you advertise that you do this.

HTH'S xx:green:

Last edited:
I do think your client is not taking care of her hair. Tell her to bring her booty in and take a look. We also give clients shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in spray to take home with them. All included in total price.
I wouldn't give her money back. Have her come in and replace a few with different hair and see how she does with it. Also if the hair is bad she will be tangled all over. As in up the strand, so look for that.
If it is the distributors problem. I would love to suggest you to contact me at my salon. We distribute our own hair. I will send you a color ring and info. If you ever have any problems I will be there to help you.
Connections 4 Hair
Lenexa KS
Bobbysue
913-894-2662

Ok i'm not a hair profesionall but i wear clip in natural hair extensions for a long time.
During this time i realized that the pool and sea water combined with the sun, may damage the hair if you don't rise it immediately.They become VERY dry and you can hardly brush them.. So ask her if she did that..
I was able to save them by using silicone serum when wet and i also found out that a sunscreen brand named carroten is produsing a oil hair spay for the sea. I used it and i loved it.. it makes the hair soft again and believe me i tried a lot of stuff too... I use it, not only at sea but after bath also cause it doesn't give that look of oily, heavy hair .
Its description says Carroten, Sun Care Hair Spray Color Lock. It has vitamins A,E and B5 and it has water resistance.

P.S. I do a lot of torture to my extension hair :p like hairdryer hot hot.. i use a straightening iron and a curling iron too.And usually on daily basis but my hair are like new...

Latest posts

Back