Dry hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_lee110788

Reaction score
I have a regular customer who has been coming in years for a colour and extensions. She came in the other day for her usual. scalp bleach 6% then 12.61 over the top for a few minutes to give a slight pink tint. I have done this for years, no over lapping, only colouring the root and everything's been fine. This time her hair felt really dry after, I had done exactly the same, it also felt strange, like there was a coating on the hair? she has since washed it herself and used a deep mask treatment but says its still dry and the extensions are ruined. she is coming in next week so I can take a look but I 100% believe her as she is a nice lady and I felt it was dry myself. What can I do? help!

I have a regular customer who has been coming in years for a colour and extensions. She came in the other day for her usual. scalp bleach 6% then 12.61 over the top for a few minutes to give a slight pink tint. I have done this for years, no over lapping, only colouring the root and everything's been fine. This time her hair felt really dry after, I had done exactly the same, it also felt strange, like there was a coating on the hair? she has since washed it herself and used a deep mask treatment but says its still dry and the extensions are ruined. she is coming in next week so I can take a look but I 100% believe her as she is a nice lady and I felt it was dry myself. What can I do? help!
It's very strange for the hair to become dry from a root touch up.
Has she definitely not put anything on it herself?
And did you put 12/61 all over or just to tone the roots?

It's very strange for the hair to become dry from a root touch up.
Has she definitely not put anything on it herself?
And did you put 12/61 all over or just to tone the roots?
Just the roots! I didn’t apply any colour or bleach at all on the mid lengths and ends. I’ve been hairdressing for 17 years and have seen nothing like it. Her hair was like straw!

was it a different bleach powder? and just as an aside... has she had her vaccinations yet?

was it a different bleach powder? and just as an aside... has she had her vaccinations yet?
She hasn’t had vaccinations yet but I did use a different bleaching powder (same peroxide) I have been using the powder on other people tho with no problems

She is coming in on Tuesday, can anyone recommend the best shampoo, conditioner, treatment and products I can use on her to try and get her hair nice again and hopefully save her extensions x

Just the roots! I didn’t apply any colour or bleach at all on the mid lengths and ends. I’ve been hairdressing for 17 years and have seen nothing like it. Her hair was like straw!
Has she definitely not changed anything in her routine?
She definitely needs a moisturising shampoo and conditioner and I'd probably suggest a repair treatment. Little to no heat styling if possible. If not possible a good heat protector.
Possibly cut any ends off that can be.

Just a thought! Did you rinse out the bleach yourself or do you have trainees? If the bleach wasn’t rinsed away properly this could result in this situation.

Also would definitely go in with some olaplex treatments

Just be careful of heat protecting products as I have had customers using them and they’ve wrecked their hair once they stop it improves I know it sounds strange but it’s true

A few things I can think of;

- She could have a build up of metals on the hair (esp since you said that it felt like it had a coating). Traces of copper and iron from water sources can also create additional damage when combined with peroxide. Suggest a demineralising or chelating treatment.

- The extensions could be of a different quality than usual, if she recently had then done. The colouring process could have removed an artifical coating on the extensions making them feel dry.

- The only other thing would be the change of powder lightener, but it seems unlikely since it was only applied to the regrowth.

As the majority of the colouring was done on the regrowth, my money would be that the extensions are the problem here.

Check if she had any products on her hair. Even dry shampoo or a hair mask that was meant to be washed off with shampoo not just rinsed off.

She is coming in on Tuesday, can anyone recommend the best shampoo, conditioner, treatment and products I can use on her to try and get her hair nice again and hopefully save her extensions x
Hi, what happened today, what you have decided to do?

Hi, what happened today, what you have decided to do?
I ended up buying her a new set and putting them in. I think that I left some bleach or colour in her hair and it has continued processing. Lesson learnt and I’ve kept a good customer

Latest posts

Back