Dry hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help with this as I think you probably know more about hands than me :)
Recently I've been having problems with really chapped/peeling skin on my hands. It starts off like blisters, not in the bubbled up way, but how blisters go once they've dried a bit. Basically my skin starts to peel in little circles and then spreads much wider - on the first two fingers of my right hand the peeling goes most of the way down one side. It's only really on my right hand, and I'm right-handed, so I'm not sure if this is linked. It's also now starting to happen on the undersides of my fingers, and even slightly on the palm. It's not sore at all, and the majority of the skin on my hands is not dry at all. It seems to appear quite randomly in areas that aren't even rubbed or anything.
I know none of you are pharmacists or anything, I just wondered if anyone had any general advice for what to use. So far I've just been using aloe vera gel - I had been using Garnier Hand Cucoon but that did nothing - the aloe seems to have worked better, but having looked at my hands this morning, the peeling has started in new areas.
I can't think of anything that would have caused it - I've been very careful about what soaps I'm using, and drying my hands thoroughly, but I'm getting a bit self concious and don't particularly want to start my training with such off-putting hands!! I'd post pics if it would help anyone...
Anyway, long post over, just wondered if anyone had encountered the same problem (could it be the hot weather? I'm 21, so I'm hoping it's not age!!) or what they'd use to moisturise in the meantime that won't antagonise it...
Thanks all!
Lol x

hi,

I havent go a clue what could be causing this!

I have really really bad ezcema and have found that if i put loadsa cream on my hands before i go to bed and put a glove over it (latex)the next morning my hands are really smooth it takes a while but it really works i also use warmed up olive oil for dry skin or you could even try hemp cream from the body shop.

Why don't you ask Gigi if she knows what might be causing it could it be products?

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me and probably something to do with nails.
If it starts to appear on the palm of your left hand it prob is monomer in the dust of a new overlay (especially light cured systems)
As it is just on those fingers then maybe it is something you apply with those fingers; it could even be something in cuticle oil (people can even be allergic to water!)
Or it might be none of those things but a new face cream or other unrelated product.
You need to find out what it is and stop using it. In the meantime use a barrier cream but never touch the nail plate during application.

Hope thats some help
Marian

I haven't started my training yet so luckily it won't be that.
I'm trying to think if I've started using anything new since just before this peeling started.. nothing is coming to mind yet, but I'll keep thinking. My right hand probably come into contact with my skin creams more, also shower gel and things, so I'll have a root through and see if anything's new that I haven't thought of. In the meantime I think I'll stick with the aloe gel and hope at least that stops it looking so bad, but it obviously isn't 'curing' it as I'm still getting odd little spots of it.

Cheers everyone :)

Latest posts

Back